Descent Retro Mod

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Re: Descent Retro Mod

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:24 am

I have nothing to add to the current problems, but I do want to say that I noticed this project some weeks back and thought.... Wow, now Rebirth isn't "retro" enough! lol

That is all.... :drink:
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: Descent Retro Mod

Postby karx11erx » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:19 am

Well, except with a collision math bug fix Drakona, the retro mod's author, has found, D2X-XL has all the things competitive multiplayer needs they are trying to realize in the retro mod for a long time:

• Tracker? Check.
  • Accurate firing position info? Check.
  • Afterburner as standard equipment at level entry? Check. Actually D2X-XL has more here: You can pre-equip player ships with every gun and piece of equipment in the game.
  • Powerup loss detection and compensation? Check.

D2X-XL offers stuff on top of that:

• Always spawn powerups at the same location? Check.
  • Re-spawn powerups with a delay? Check.
  • Limit the amount of missiles and mines a player can carry? Check. Actually this addresses what I consider one of the biggest issue in multiplayer games, and that is missile hoarding by players.

Actually I had added a lot of competitive multiplayer related stuff in an attempt to calm those people down who had constantly been attacking me in the most aggressive, rude and arrogant way for my handling D2X-XL the way I wanted to (which was my good right, since I was the only one contributing to its code). Unfortunately I had to find out the hard way that they had never been about having a Descent mod that would cater to their needs. Their agenda was let's say ... a more personal one.

Of course I would have loved to see D2X-XL being used competitively, and it certainly wasn't me standing in the way of that. Everybody who knows how fast I am fixing bugs and how eagerly I am improving and enhancing the program understands that.

It is true that D2X-XL had a few multiplayer problems that arose after my last tests with (a couple of years ago), but those were simply due to my not sufficiently checking some very simple code changes (I replaced some direct assignments to a multiplayer state variable with a function call handling that variable, and I messed that up a bit). That was all.

Now I have to say that I find it incredibly laughable how the retro mod development is proving all those wrong who had so long been hailing Rebirth as the shrine of true Descent-ness and had been putting D2X-XL down as bug ridden feature creep. Obviously Zico does not understand enough of the code to successfully deal with the issues he tried to iron out in the past. Instead, he made many things worse. He could have learned all those things from me, but no, he wanted to have his own project. Understandable, but in no way the most healthy decision.

I know all the details of the Descent 2 code. I have rewritten a significant part of it. I have tinkered with almost every line of code in it. I doubt there is anybody who knows at least half as much about it as I do today. If people want to call me arrogant because I am saying this, then my response is simply this: I know who I am, and I know what I can do.

Who laughs last laughs best.

Return to “General Discussions”