All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

The Shameful Ways of Interplay

Postby karx11erx » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:39 pm

The Shameful Ways of Interplay

For many people, the iconic design of the Pyro GX is intrinsically tied to the name Descent. People therefore were asking the makers of Descent Underground whether they would add a Pyro GX to their game. The answer was no. This was coming as a surprise, as people had assumed that when Descendent Studios had acquired the rights to use the Descent "IP", that "IP" included the game asset designs.

However, that is not the case. Interplay actually only holds the rights to the name "Descent", but not to the game asset designs that have been used in Descent 1, 2, 3. There doesn't seem to be much of what I would actually call "IP" in Interplay's hands otherwise - there only is a name.

Now think back to the Cease & Desist letter Interplay had sent to the Sol Contingency project, demanding them to shut down their work or at least remove all Descent style game asset from it. By doing that, Interplay explicitly or implicity stated they were holding the rights to these designs.

They do not.

They simply bluffed, or to put it more clearly: They blatantly lied to the Sol Contingency project.

The (other) sad thing about this is that I wasn't surprised at all. It's the kind of behavior I have to come to expect from Interplay. Do I want the people from Interplay to ever see money from me again?

Rather not.

Return to “General Discussions”