Sol Contingency Media Updates

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

homeyduh

Sol Contingency Media Updates

Postby homeyduh » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:57 am

This post is going to cover the updates that have been going on over at our Sol Contingency forums and I'll do a better job to keep you guys in the loop as things happen.

First, there are some preliminary screenshots of a map that I'm working on called Ice Breaker. The back story I have for this map is this:

Planet Phendrana was devastated when a meteor hit the surface, diverting it off of its normal orbit. Now that it is further away from its Sun, the whole planet has frozen over. There are massive blizzards that cover the planet as a result of the the change in orbit. All human installations were abandoned prior to the catastrophic event, but some of the machinery survived the climate change. Still performing maintenance, the robots of ISB-0215 have cleared upper levels of the facility, but were frozen in place when an insulated water reservoir was breached when the ceiling of the main atrium gave out. I chose the name Ice Breaker because of 1, the ice (duh lol) and 2, because I designed this map to be a balance of vertical and horizontal action to "break the ice" for non-6DoF players.

In addition to the map, Max also posted the soundtrack for Ice Breaker, which is Martin's Isolation

I hope you guys enjoy playing the map when it comes out!

Next, we announced our main ship for our Proving Grounds release: the Eclipse.

There has also been a released screenshot of our missiles of choice for Proving Grounds: The Dumbfire Missile and the Seeker Missile (names are WIP of course). There was also a screenshot of a bot that DuderSeb came up with (tentatively the "Stealth Hulk)

1/2 Hawk is an absolute badass when it come to UDK and UE4 and he designed this for use in his recreation of Neptune in Sol Contingency. It's like the classic screens in D1 and D2 with rotating bots, but in 3D! Fear not, the classic rotating bot screens are still around ;)

Keep your eyes peeled for more info! Feel free to hit us up at our forums or just PM me. We want to keep the Descent community involved with this game because we first and foremost want to make a game that we can be playing with you guys as a community. As fans. 1/2Hawk said it best when someone from the DU forums came over with some questions about microtransactions and other things.
1/2Hawk wrote:...right or wrong we're not in it for the money - would rather be playing with y'all.

The concern for community involvement has also reached within our Dev forums:
DuderSeb wrote:I really want us to get more intimate with the community. I'm worried about this a lot.
Not only do I want to be a project that gets the community involved, but also I would love to be able to take all levels of feedback into account in order to try and make something that appeals to all just like Descent did.

Verran wrote:Same here. There's several reasons I, personally, haven't brought up and pressed this as an issue:

A tangible, working game is far more valuable than any talk: true feedback will come post-release
PG is a demo, so almost everything can be considered temporary (UE4 after PG?)
Sol C has limited development time & resources

For now, that's all, but we will be releasing some videos soon. I'll leave you with Verran's video of flying around our first announced map, Vertigo, using a Sidewinder Pro and trichording everywhere.
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Re: Sol Contingency Media Updates

Postby Pumo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:00 am

Pretty interesting stuff! Take for sure we will be playing the map as soon as it's released! :D
And the music track is pretty nice as it has a good electronic vibe to it. :thumb:

(BTW, I think this topic would better fit @ the off-topic section, as this is the D2X-XL and Descent 1/2/3 general discussion board lol :P )
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
homeyduh

Postby homeyduh » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:51 am

I was wondering about that too, but I saw that at DBB, they posted the Sol Contingency forum along with the Descent gaming forum, so I followed suit here. Not sure if anyone wants to move it?

Say Pumo are you also with the Rangers?
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:59 am

Nope, I'm not a part of the Rangers as I'm not that good to be in a competitive ladder, and I mostly play Single-Player and design Pumo Mines levels.
-SYSTEM SPECS-
homeyduh

Postby homeyduh » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:09 am

Ah ok. Well rest assured that we'll have a good story. Fox is really good with that and our concept is really good I think. It'll be awesome XD

Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:17 am

Hehe, yeah I know, Fox also helped me with some details in the per-level story on certain Pumo Mines levels. ;)
-SYSTEM SPECS-
homeyduh

Postby homeyduh » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:37 pm

How long are your mines going to be? They sound like they're taking an awful long time to make! I'm really interested to see how they come out!

Yeah, we have a really talented team working with us and I'm super lucky to have been picked to work with them as a mapper.

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:29 pm

Thanks for the expansive overview, homeyduh, there was some stuff I hadn't seen so far. :)
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:42 am

Rangers are not really competitive, but we do play a lot of anarchy games and most things are geared around that (co-op games are also possible more recently though). Nobody minds if you don't run a high K/D, least of all the other people that also don't :mrgreen:

DCL is the competitive ladder. It doesn't have a minimum bar either, but you're probably not going to find it fun if you're not really into "versus" play.
homeyduh

Postby homeyduh » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:54 pm

Yeah no problem Karx. Here's another pic that DuderSeb made for us and was released on the FB page. I think it's an awesome teaser.

I kinda had the impression that the Rangers were all super competitive. That's good to hear. I tried joining once, but I didn't have the time to commit to the application process.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1428587840024.jpg
FB_IMG_1428587840024.jpg (56.84 KiB) Viewed 2276 times

homeyduh

Postby homeyduh » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:10 pm

Gameplay video update!

Sol Contingency: Proving Grounds - News and Updates!: https://youtu.be/MALCsPoP4FY

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:24 pm

Very cool video.

Just two things:

#1 What's these 2Dish powerups? Can't they all be 3D like in Descent?
#2 The huge red missile lock indicator in the center of vision is something I could not play with. Is there an option to have it elsewhere, or be displayed in a less obtrusive way?
homeyduh

Postby homeyduh » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:52 pm

The power ups are temporary for sure. They were just placeholder icons at first, but we're gonna keep them for the PG release. As for the lock on, yeah I hear you. I've kinda thought it's kinda distracting too. I'll let them know and forward them this link.

homeyduh

Postby homeyduh » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:09 pm

Also, Max put up a FAQ page at our old domain, http://www.preparefordescent.com

homeyduh

Postby homeyduh » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:20 am

Don't worry Karx, we're gonna look into a more discreet way to warn pilots of a homing lock. I just talked to another Dev about it and we'll see about what we can do about. What you can't hear is that there's a really obnoxious warning sound that comes on with the homer lock, but we also plan on toning it down or getting rid of it all together.

Return to “General Discussions”