A showoff video I threw together

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

User avatar
FinnFann
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 6:58 pm

A showoff video I threw together

Postby FinnFann » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:33 am

This is what happens when I have nothing to do on the weekend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY09oVp5iiM

Use it however it's wanted. Attribute me I guess though? Really I don't mind it being used in any way.
User avatar
FinnFann
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 6:58 pm

Re: A showoff video I threw together

Postby FinnFann » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:01 am

Annnd back up.
User avatar
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master
Posts: 8112
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Wilferdingen, Germany
Contact:

Re: A showoff video I threw together

Postby karx11erx » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:40 pm

:omg:

Very cool! :thumb:

Just ... one ... thing ... the last part of the video, where you destroy the reactor, is from the original first level of D1FS, not from Lunar Outpost Reloaded, like the rest of it. Why is that?
User avatar
FinnFann
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 6:58 pm

Re: A showoff video I threw together

Postby FinnFann » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:13 pm

karx11erx wrote::omg:

Very cool! :thumb:

Just ... one ... thing ... the last part of the video, where you destroy the reactor, is from the original first level of D1FS, not from Lunar Outpost Reloaded, like the rest of it. Why is that?


:3 I'm glad you like it. And actually I might edit it a bit more later on with suggestions given of course (I still have the movies and project file). I'd meant to mix more from the remake and actual first level together at the later half of the movie than was present.

Also I didn't want the reactor part of the Lunar Outpost Reloaded at the end because the reactor shielding noise clips my speakers pretty bad and would make the video end a little too noisy. >.o

Of course any additional editing will be for later :3 But let me know suggestions.
User avatar
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master
Posts: 8112
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Wilferdingen, Germany
Contact:

Re: A showoff video I threw together

Postby karx11erx » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:59 pm

Don't shoot the reactor before it's shields are down.
User avatar
FinnFann
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 6:58 pm

Re: A showoff video I threw together

Postby FinnFann » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:31 pm

karx11erx wrote:Don't shoot the reactor before it's shields are down.


Oh no it's not just that, the hum of the shields alone is extremely loud. You can kind of hear it in that showoff video where I get the red key. The shield hum nearly overtakes the music.

Edit: That being said, I'll see about turning the ambient slider down. If it counts as ambient noise I can counter it that way and get some better footage :) I'll update it here if that helps.

By the way, any ideas on better text to display? I kinda got writers block.
User avatar
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master
Posts: 8112
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Wilferdingen, Germany
Contact:

Re: A showoff video I threw together

Postby karx11erx » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:34 pm

Well, D2X-XL supports custom sound objects the volume of which is individually adjustable, but the reactor shields have the original force field sound, so unfortunately nothing I could adjust. :?

I found your text quite ok. :thumb:
User avatar
FinnFann
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 6:58 pm

Re: A showoff video I threw together

Postby FinnFann » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:15 pm

karx11erx wrote:Well, D2X-XL supports custom sound objects the volume of which is individually adjustable, but the reactor shields have the original force field sound, so unfortunately nothing I could adjust. :?

I found your text quite ok. :thumb:


Thaaankyou :) I'm glad to hear that. Still...It's not just the shield hitting sound, by the way. >.o Let me know if you want a bug filed because it...really doesn't seem normal. Sadly it still happens even on x.28. (just checked) So the sound stuttering fix didn't help it.

Note: PLEASE Turn your headphones and/or speakers down for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOC47-EPO5s (Processing done. Up to 1080p will be available shortly)
User avatar
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master
Posts: 8112
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Wilferdingen, Germany
Contact:

Re: A showoff video I threw together

Postby karx11erx » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:38 am

The main problem here is that there are five force fields in close vicinity, which makes their sound add up insanely. I will tie forcefield sound volume to the general ambient sound volume (which so far only affects sound objects, which are a D2X-XL exclusive feature).

As for the sound "thrashing": I have experienced that occasionally. If you are using the advanced collision model (physics options), that effect may be caused by it.
User avatar
FinnFann
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 6:58 pm

Re: A showoff video I threw together

Postby FinnFann » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:23 pm

karx11erx wrote:The main problem here is that there are five force fields in close vicinity, which makes their sound add up insanely. I will tie forcefield sound volume to the general ambient sound volume (which so far only affects sound objects, which are a D2X-XL exclusive feature).

As for the sound "thrashing": I have experienced that occasionally. If you are using the advanced collision model (physics options), that effect may be caused by it.


I'll double check that later. It really did sound like it was either some kind of constant collision (maybe the reactor was constantly hitting its own shield?), or a lot of sounds buffered up and played back all at once. I'll look into it a bit. As for the forcefields...It sounds like it might actually be a better idea to limit the forcefield sounds to one at a time. Perhaps play the sound back whenever the player is x distance from a forcefield. That would prevent the sounds from stacking like that. Then again it would affect directional sound wouldn't it? Hrm...a difficult thing to solve that seems like the best idea is to just not put too many shields together XD

EDIT:
Happened on standard physics as well. Also the sound thrashing is almost guranteed to happen in that room. I just duplicated it on a completely different system almost on queue. It seems to happen most often when many of the same constant sounds are playing at once? If I could map I'd test some waterfall/water sounds stacked. Could it be buffering the other sounds and playing them back all abruptly?
User avatar
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master
Posts: 8112
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Wilferdingen, Germany
Contact:

Re: A showoff video I threw together

Postby karx11erx » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:19 pm

I have found the reason behind that sound threshing: It's a flaw in Descent's collision handling code, triggered by the forcefield being single sided to allow reactor shots to pass through. Descent thinks some of the shots are colliding with the forcefield when passing through it. I am just trying to fix that.
User avatar
FinnFann
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 6:58 pm

Re: A showoff video I threw together

Postby FinnFann » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:18 pm

karx11erx wrote:I have found the reason behind that sound threshing: It's a flaw in Descent's collision handling code, triggered by the forcefield being single sided to allow reactor shots to pass through. Descent thinks some of the shots are colliding with the forcefield when passing through it. I am just trying to fix that.


That would explain why it triggered most often when I agro'd the reactor. Let me know once it is fixed and I'll run the level to make sure the sound "crash" doesn't happen. Should make for some good footage too.

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest