Mapping competition! Summer contest

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

homeyduh

Mapping competition! Summer contest

Postby homeyduh » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:37 pm

Ever wanted to be the next Spaz or DKH of mapping? Ever wanted crowds of pilots screaming your name as you kill them in your map? Now you can!

I'm announcing a quarter-annual mapping competition. Anyone can join and can submit up to 3 maps to the competition. Submission deadline for this first contest will be July 1st. After that voting on favorite maps will be open. Voters can choose up to 3 maps to vote for. Top 5 maps will be subject to rotation ladder matches at the DCL for a week. A second poll will be held at the DCL forums by pilots who have played the maps in a competitive setting. After a week of playing and voting, the winner will be announced. Revel in fact that you're the top mapper of the competition as your name gets etched into the history of our game!

Currently, this contest will be focusing on D1 maps, but D2 maps and D2XXL maps will be accepted as well and judged just the same. This contest is currently FOR FUN, so have fun with it!. For tips on mapping out competitive grade levels, check out Drakona's post over at the DU forums. We also ask that mappers do NOT revise their maps once entered. Doing so may throw off the voting process as the version we download may be different than the one the mapper expects to be judged. If you plan on submitting more than one map, either submit them all at once our in separate posts if the maps aren't ready at the same time. Again, do NOT edit previous posts. Another thing, this contest is to stimulate new map creation so the map you submit must be less than 6 months old. Also, you can't submit maps for someone else. The author of the map must submit their own map. Best of luck and happy mapping! Here is the submission thread at the DCL forums.
Last edited by homeyduh on Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: Mapping competition! Summer contest

Postby karx11erx » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:22 pm

I am ready to build any map as long as it is a D2X-XL map. ;)
homeyduh

Postby homeyduh » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:00 am

Well, I don't think that the DCL pilots use D2XXL, but maybe we can make a similar contest for D2XXL mappers XD
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:38 am

They don't use it, they never helped me with it - au contraire, many of them hate D2X-XL and me. I think trying to do anything for them is just a waste of my time.
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:11 pm

Ray, I think maybe the contest should use both Rebirth and XL maps anyway. The prospect of having their maps ported to Sol Contingency is bound to give those pilots an incentive to actually try it and if they don't, it's their loss... they could be given some penalty without being booted right out?

I'm only thinking, and this is just between us, that their attitude towards this program is baseless and it's about time for an attitude adjustment... for at least some of them, an incentive like this might help open their minds or adjust their attitude for them.
And if they ask why you have to include D2X-XL, say something about the mapping possibilities it has making it unfair to exclude it or something like that. :P
Up to you whether you want to do this, I just think it might be a better idea than you think.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
homeyduh

Postby homeyduh » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:01 pm

Yeah, D2XXL maps will be included. So bring your best maps! This is what Lothar said regarding the matter:

LotharBot wrote:I don't see any reason to specifically exclude D2X-XL, but keep in mind it is essentially a ladder level popularity contest. Very few people on the ladder are willing to play competitively in D2X-XL. A level would have to have some really compelling XL feature (like, a compelling reason why it has to be played in XL instead of Retro) to get people to give it a look.

I'll update the OPs on all forums I posted the invitation on to include D2XXL maps.

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:41 pm

Well, finding a compelling reason for the competitive ladder players to play D2X-XL levels seems rather hard to find. That is because those players have defined their concept of competitive Descent matches based on the environment the barebones, vanilla, original Descent (1/2) offers. "If it's not the vanilla game w/o extra fx, physics, gameplay elements, it's not competitive", so to speak. As far as I have understood it, competitive includes purist for them. Ofc you could just as well define it based on some or all of D2X-XL's additional features (repair centers, speed boosts, in-level teleports, smoke screens) and say "we want competitive players to be able to handle and utilize these features too" (which as a side note might add a very tactical element to the gameplay), but I cannot see that happening.

D2X-XL's focus is somewhere else, and that is team based game modes and chaotic fun games with bigger groups of players. That's a different philosophy. The competitive players' first and foremost interest is personal performance. For them, fun = being the better player, showing the higher performance. On the other side of the spectrum would be the more casual fun players who enjoy being thrown into a constant wild turmoil of several players battling each other where it is hard to predict what will happen next. Many of D2X-XL's additional multiplayer features help such playstyle, like e.g. in-level teleports with random destinations, speed boosts). Additionally, D2X-XL offers solid support for competitive team game modes, like "real" CTF (where the CTF mechanics fully work and aren't half-done like in Descent 2), or Entropy. Finally, D2X-XL allows vastly enhanced singleplayer missions with many new features (see e.g. the complex trigger types it introduces).

However, the Descent ladder players Lothar belongs to aren't very interested in that. They only want to prove their personal superiority, if you want to put it so, in one on one battles.

That's a very narrow bandwidth of gameplay in the entire possible spectrum Descent offers, and by far not the only one. It's just the focus of the ladder players and very much limits the possibilities for building levels for them, to the extent of making creating D2X-XL levels with D2X-XL features for them pointless.

If I'd ever build another Descent mission, then I would do it in a bigger team, based on a good concept, and that team would create some exceptional singleplayer mission, utilizing everything D2X-XL has to offer, and maybe throw a bunch of really cool multiplayer maps in (also utilizing everything D2X-XL has to offer in a way that would enhance gameplay).
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:51 pm

So the solution is not to aim the entire contest at the DCL. Aim it at anyone who wants to play some multiplayer and have some kind of registration beforehand for people who want to build maps or play and judge or both so you don't get a bunch of troll votes. If the number of people who like to play in different ways are about equal you won't have much bias towards one type of map either. And I think a lot of people from the other types of players Karx talked about would be willing to jump into D2X-XL if they knew there would be a game on.

It's time for D2X-XL to lose it's undeserved reputations and get some good ones. And it's time for competitive players to stop defining competitive games as exactly what D2X-XL isn't. I don't know if that's what they mean now but it certainly has potential a lot of people just don't want to use.
I think it can be done and the problem is only that it has to be done by somebody who's not seen to have any kind of allegiance... that's why an impartial contest put on by somebody who's mainly seen as a developer for a different game could really help.
Last edited by Alter-Fox on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beware of ounce
homeyduh

Postby homeyduh » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:22 pm

I think teleports is a very compelling reason to use D2XXL vs D1/2. So much so that I'm considering trying it out myself now. Teleports add so much to mapping. Since this is a quarterly contest, I'd like it if you can show people how good and competitive D2XXL maps can be, even I'm the DCL/Rangers. I chose DCL because they're really frequent players and adding maps there can be beneficial overall. I was also thinking of the Rangers, but I'm not one and don't have time to go through the application process right now. I'll definitely try to make a D2XXL map in the future. Sounds fun XD I think Shyena will also make a map or 2 with D2XXL.

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:34 am

Speed boosts ("wind tunnels") are cool too when used right. I have a demo multiplayer level featuring both in-level teleports and speed boosts. It's called "Speed!". Find in my level area on my website.
homeyduh

Postby homeyduh » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:32 pm

Ah perfect! Is it possible to have 2-way wind tunnels? Where if you come in from one direction it takes you one way or of you come from another way, another direction? I was thinking of recreating a map from Metroid Prime 2 and it has something....like that lol

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:57 pm

That should be possible. The boost effect is triggered by ... uh ... a trigger you fly through, and ofc you can add such a trigger at both sides of a wall, so you can make speed boosts two way. You could even make them alternating by using D2X-XL's enable/disable trigger type.

You should just be aware of the possibility of two players entering a speed boost area at both sides might crash into each other.
homeyduh

Postby homeyduh » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:29 am

I'm aware. In the game the map I was thinking of doing, players could crash into each other, resulting in a double KO

Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:36 am

karx11erx wrote:That should be possible.

Yep, I've done it. A long time ago and I since lost the level. :(
I think I might have shared it to Pumo before I did, but I don't remember its name so it's going to be hard to ask for it. :P
beware of ounce
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:29 am

In D2X-XL, players would just be stopped at their collision point in the speed boost area and probably get some collision damage. The effect would be annoying rather than spectacular.

Return to “General Discussions”