Descent 3 Sound Issue

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

science1d1

Descent 3 Sound Issue

Postby science1d1 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:15 am

I've been browsing all over the net to find a solution to this problem. I get choppy sounds when playing descent 3. Ive tried messing around with the mixers in the launch screen, but nothing fixes the problem. Basically if I use one mixer then sound gets choppy when I'm outdoors and some action is happening but gameplay is smooth, sound quality sucks overall. If I use another mixer then the sound and game get extremely laggy once action is happening. I've also played around with the hi and low quality sound setting and no help. I'm using the descent 3 from steam with the glide wrapper that it comes with. I've read that using the software mixer should be best but I can't even select that in the launch screen. Any help will be appreciated, I know this forum got some great experts in here :). I'm running windows 7 with a gtx 780, i7 2600k, 32gb ram, and asus motherboard. In terms of sound im using a logitech z906 surround sound with an optical cable connected to the motherboard.
FinnFann

Re: Descent 3 Sound Issue

Postby FinnFann » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:05 am

science1d1 wrote:I've been browsing all over the net to find a solution to this problem. I get choppy sounds when playing descent 3. Ive tried messing around with the mixers in the launch screen, but nothing fixes the problem. Basically if I use one mixer then sound gets choppy when I'm outdoors and some action is happening but gameplay is smooth, sound quality sucks overall. If I use another mixer then the sound and game get extremely laggy once action is happening. I've also played around with the hi and low quality sound setting and no help. I'm using the descent 3 from steam with the glide wrapper that it comes with. I've read that using the software mixer should be best but I can't even select that in the launch screen. Any help will be appreciated, I know this forum got some great experts in here :). I'm running windows 7 with a gtx 780, i7 2600k, 32gb ram, and asus motherboard. In terms of sound im using a logitech z906 surround sound with an optical cable connected to the motherboard.

I know when I had difficulty with this same issue (granted I used the GOG install) the solution was to run the sound at low quality as high quality has a stuttering bug with non EAX/Direct 3d Sound. Not sure why this isn't helping in your case. There was an alternative I used to run high sound without the stuttering bug that might work for you. You need a decent computer, but indirectsound and using EAX or Direct3D Sound in the game configuration may help (the game was primarily designed to run best with accelerated sound hardware). This modified directsound library basically mimics EAX/Direct3D Sound hardware. You can use it with a ton of old games to get their EAX modes back. NOTE: When using indirect sound you NEED to use direct 3d sound or EAX. Not using them results in heavy performance loss when using it.

http://www.indirectsound.com/
science1d1

Re: Descent 3 Sound Issue

Postby science1d1 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:19 pm

Thanks Fin, I followed your advice and it helped a little. Sound is smooth on low quality but gets very choppy when I'm in a large open space and especially when there is alot of action going on. On high quality results are the same just the sound is more sensitive to becoming choppy. Same results both on EAX and 3D.

Return to “General Discussions”