Development Blah

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

lloyd

Postby lloyd » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Making D2X-XL check for missing files/directories is a very good idea. :)

In Debian/Ubuntu linux, the concept of 'dependencies', which is enforced by the 'package management' system, give us some extra tools to avoid having someone try to run D2X-XL without the necessary data files.

I took advantage of this when establishing the 'dependencies' for my D2X-XL Ubuntu/Debian installation packages. This allows, for example, updating only the D2X-XL binary executable, without being forced to download the data files again too.

However, when updated D2X-XL data files are necessary for a new d2x-xl version, the package management system will detect that and will insist on installing the new data files. Cool, huh?

In addition to this, the Debian/Ubuntu D2X-XL packages use a wrapper script that checks for necessary files (either full version data files OR demo data files) and warns about any missing ones using a GUI popup dialog box. (Now that you have added these checks to D2X-XL itself (in v1.14.116), I can probably remove this check).
D2X-XL Debian/Ubuntu package repository:
http://standish.home3.org/d2x-xl
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:52 pm

I could do that on Windows too ... if I'd be willing to shell out a boatload of money for InstallShield. :crazy:

Yes, Linux has its advantages.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:58 pm

After having heard a few complaints to many about crackling and mutilated sounds and having noticed some (not so drastic) problems there myself, I have looked into the sound system and indeed found a few flaws. There should now be significantly less crackling (if any at all). I also tested this extensively by fighting a ton of robots at insane, so the rockets and lasers were coming in clouds so thick you couldn't see the tip of your Pyro, and I didn't manage to produce any cutting out sounds (with a humble Realtec Azalia onboard sound). So I hope the problems here are a thing of the past now.
Last edited by karx11erx on Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mahona

Postby Mahona » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:28 pm

I had this issue but neglected to say anything because I could have sworn it was in another post
and I don't cry for help without looking first ;)

Thank you Diedel!!
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:00 pm

After a hint from Sykes I have looked through the installation instructions, edited out a few errors and added information about new stuff, like the sfx installer or automated setup D2X-XL now performs.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:51 pm

I was trying for hours today to implement a message box function for Linux similar to the one Windows has. It has turned out that there is no easy way to accomplish this. You either have to link tons of GUI (X11) wrapper and enhancement libraries, or code yourself half to death to build such an apparently simple thing directly on X11 (using Xlib). On top of that using wxWidgets and Qt4 caused gcc/g++ 4.4.0 to throw dozens of errors, most of them related to syntax errors in what seems to be a STL include file.

I am giving up on this now. If anybody has such a function that I can add to D2X-XL with acceptably small overhead and is willing to share it I'd be more than grateful.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:23 am

Linux? :no:

I tried to code something as simple as a measly messagebox like Windows has for D2X-XL the past days. It is close to impossible to add that w/o running into problems. With MS Windows that's a one liner. with Linux that's maybe 30 or 50 lines of code. You have to intercept windows close buton messages, and not at the application but at the window manager level :crazy:, and if you want a window not to have a system menu, maximize or minimize buttons, it has to be of a special kind ("vendor shell"), or it isn't even possible. Then there's Linux window managers that do not even support removing that window "decoration", as it is called on Linux. Using certain GUI systems (wxWidgets, Qt4, Gtk) would make it possible, but blow d2x-xl up to a behemoth. Makes me hate Linux again. No wonder Linux is getting nowhere on the desktop when you even have to work around who knows how many different window managers with who kniows how many different feature sets. :rage:
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:03 pm

Worked over the web sites main page a bit in an attempt to present the important information there in a clearer way and also took some of the color out of it. I like the result. Hopefully people will notice the side scrolling menu sooner now.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:57 pm

Well, a lot has been done to make installation of D2X-XL easier, including an update function that can download and install the latest D2X-XL version (MS Windows, Linux), and this has been rounded off by a revised readme file explaining D2X-XL installation in HTML format and explaining addon data and where to find it.

I don't think there is much reason to complain about D2X-XL installation being difficult anymore.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:56 am

Good things have happened to me: I have gotten a full refund for my broken (probably overheated) Sapphire Radeon HD4870 1GB and today have received the HD4890 Toxic I had ordered as replacement card. That card's cooling should be up to the task, and besides HD4890s being clocked higher than 4870s, the Toxic is factory overclocked.

I had thought of waiting for the next gen ATI cards, but these will cost around 400 USD, which means they will charge 400 EUR for them here ... and if I ever need more graphics horse power, I can plug in a second 4980 Toxic in Crossfire mode which both my PSU and mainboard should be able to handle.

Next week my Corsair H50 liquid CPU cooling kit will arrive, and I will refit my computer with an Antec 300 case which is just perfect for the kits requirements (air sucked into the case through the radiator and extracted with a top mounted fan).

Yay! :bounce:
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:42 pm

HD4890 Toxic is installed and runs like a charm. TV playback works flawless again, and the card's cooler is as good as inaudible even after playing a 3D game (guess which one ;)) for some time.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:05 am

After having seen Pumos new works I am currently beta testing for him, I have decided to support creating ambient sound effects by adding a new effect type "sound". Sound objects are associated with a wav file and will be permanently playing the associated sound.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:48 pm

Unreal had those... it worked wonders for the atmosphere of the place.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:55 pm

Pumo has done miracles already with sound triggers. The 3 level beta mission he has sent me for reviewing really sounds like there'd be machinery everywhere behind the mines' walls doing all kinds of stuff. I have never ever played such an atmosphering Descent mission. It is incredible how much of a difference well placed sounds make.

Using sound effect objects makes it much easier to create ambient sound though, and I have put some in my mission Boiling Point and uploaded it to my website.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:48 am

I have added sound objects to a few of my levels (Styx (D3), TombZ Of D3zTruKtion, Diedel's Playground (D3) - will upload them until tomorrow), and I have to say that the effect is tremendous. You suddenly feel like moving in an active, realistic, live environment.

Return to “General Discussions”