Some Comments questions, ideas....

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Would you like an installer for Windows?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 15
Berzerk

Some Comments questions, ideas....

Postby Berzerk » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:24 pm

Hi, I just downloaded D2X-XL. I must say this is the best Descent MOD EVER!! Overall the system is great, works great, but I have a few things. to bring up. Not sure if they are glitches, or my bad set up.
First off These are the systems I am running it on.
First
AMD Athlon X2 2.4
4 Gigs Ram
Geforce 8500 GT PCIe
WinXP X64 SP2
On board sound

Second
AMD Duron 1.1 GHZ
1 Gig Ram
Radeon 9800 XT
Win XP SP3
On Board Sound
The Following are the same on both systems
1. Coronas are visible through walls. I am pretty sure this a glitch. (This was a glitch in the early demos for D3 as well.) Is this something you know about?
2. There is no fire key associated in the default player on the keyboard...when I first installed I was a little confused why I couldn't fire.
3. Can you set a specific pilot to automatically select instead of default?
4. If I am playing Descent 1, can I transfer my level status and kill count from my D1 Pilot? (Like the '-Pilot XXXX' in descent 3)
5. Lighting on the levels is way cooler, but a little dark, and fiddling with brightness and contrast doesn't seem to help. Would it help if I used DLE-XP to redo the lighting metrics?
6. There is no SFX unless I install the hi quality wavs. Is this to do with the old "Audio wasn't released with the source" issue?
7. Certain HiRes models cause what can be best described as 'spikes' pertruding at random angels with flickering textures. IE Smart Mine, Mega missile. Is this a glitch you are aware of.
8. How do I change the background image. I download a new one, and put it in textures, but nothing changed.

Thanks...oh I can't donate, but I could make an installer that would properly install D2XXL on windows (folder and file copy and everything) Would you be interested?
Last edited by Berzerk on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gatling

Postby Gatling » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:33 pm

3.Can you set a specific pilot to automatically select instead of default?
Well you could delete your default pilot so you would only have one pilot in the menu.

I think some automatic installer would be a nice tool as I can imagine it to be difficult for some computer newbies to install this game even when there is a nice explanation on this forum..
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:47 pm

Berzerk,

welcome.

Please post bug reports and feature request on sf.net (see my sig). One bug/request per ticket.

Btw, I would like an installer for Windows, too. Who's gonna make it - volunteers step forward?
Berzerk

Postby Berzerk » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:10 pm

Karx11erx. I could make it for you. I have all the files. As far as my questions. Not all of them are bugs. If someone could answers these ones.
3. Can you set a specific pilot to automatically select instead of default? (Like the '-Pilot XXXX' in descent 3)
4. If I am playing Descent 1, can I transfer my level status and kill count from my D1 Pilot?
5. Lighting on the levels is way cooler, but a little dark, and fiddling with brightness and contrast doesn't seem to help. Would it help if I used DLE-XP to redo the lighting metrics?
8. How do I change the background image. I download a new one, and put it in textures, but nothing changed.

Those ones are not specifically glitches.

Another question Karx11erx, I could make an option to install the high res models....would you want them in the installer? It would make the install quite large, and probably not something you would want to download. (Roughly 1gb)
Berzerk

Postby Berzerk » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:18 pm

There's an edit button. ;)

Before asking further question, please read the stuff linked to in my signature.
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

Installer

Postby Frustikus » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:24 pm

Yes, it would be great to have an installer for d2x-xl.

How should it work ?

1. You will start the installer. It asks you to insert the descent 2 cd. OK.
2. The program asks for the installation path.
3. It installs descent 2 and then it patches D2 to version 1.2.
4. The program will go online and download the newest version of d2x-xl.
5. The program asks the player whether he wants to install all the hires-content of d2x-xl or not.
6. If the answer is YES, and the player doesn´t have any hires-files on his computer, the installer will go online once again and download all the hires stuff too.
7. Then the program installs all the data into the right folders.
8. The installer checks the machine´s specs. If no high-end gfx card is found, it will set the lightning options of d2x to standard lightning, reduce smoke, and so on. The installer should have some kind of performance profiles for high end computers, midrange systems and low end machines to make the right settings for all options d2x-xl offers.

THAT would be nice !
Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 3420 MHz and standard voltage with Sonic Tower Rev.2, Geforce GTX 260 (896 MB), Asus P5Q Deluxe, 6 GB GSkill DDR2-1066, 2x500 GB Seagate @ Raid 0, Soundblaster XFi, Sharkoon Rebel12 Case, Teufel Concept Magnum 5:1, Samsung 2494 SW , Genius Navigator 535, Logitech Wingman FF, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Berzerk

Postby Berzerk » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:25 pm

Those are good suggestions. Perhaps if it checked to see if you had the core files, as well as the high res items, then only downloading later versions. Once download, it would store the files in some place, with the installer, giving the person the ability to burn to a cd or what not. Then, later if they need to reinstall, it just check the current folder to see if the files match the latest releases, and if not, downloads and overwrites as necessary. Giving the user the ability to re-distribute, without having to download. Perhaps even poping up with "Do you wish to connect to the internet, and check for updates?"

With respect to machine specs, I could add that check to the install, but that is a little ahead of what I was thinking of giving for the first release. Definitely, a plus, but right now I was just thinking of having something that would install it. I could after getting the installer up think about adding that feature with a next release of D2X-XL.

Any thoughts on my thoughts?
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

Postby Frustikus » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:57 pm

Berzerk wrote: Those are good suggestions. Perhaps if it checked to see if you had the core files, as well as the high res items, then only downloading later versions. Once download, it would store the files in some place, with the installer, giving the person the ability to burn to a cd or what not. Then, later if they need to reinstall, it just check the current folder to see if the files match the latest releases, and if not, downloads and overwrites as necessary. Giving the user the ability to re-distribute, without having to download. Perhaps even poping up with "Do you wish to connect to the internet, and check for updates?"

YES ! :thumb:

Berzerk wrote: With respect to machine specs, I could add that check to the install, but that is a little ahead of what I was thinking of giving for the first release. Definitely, a plus, but right now I was just thinking of having something that would install it. I could after getting the installer up think about adding that feature with a next release of D2X-XL.

Any thoughts on my thoughts?

Checking the system specs and configuring d2x with the installer will decrease support request here. It is somehow boring for the moderators to write a hundred times "Per pixel lightning needs a ATI 1950 GT or a NVidia 7900 GT or above ..." or "reduce smoke and enable solid light trails..." and so on. Most people think, they had played D2 the first time on a 486 CPU with 4 megs RAM... so why the hell runs D2X so badly on their new computer ?! They can´t believe, that D2X-XL needs a pretty fast machine for all the effects.
But you are right. It would be a nice feature for a later release of the installer. It would be a big help for us too if the installer will copy the needed files into the right folders. :wink:

BTW: Welcome ! :wink:
Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 3420 MHz and standard voltage with Sonic Tower Rev.2, Geforce GTX 260 (896 MB), Asus P5Q Deluxe, 6 GB GSkill DDR2-1066, 2x500 GB Seagate @ Raid 0, Soundblaster XFi, Sharkoon Rebel12 Case, Teufel Concept Magnum 5:1, Samsung 2494 SW , Genius Navigator 535, Logitech Wingman FF, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Berzerk

Postby Berzerk » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:01 am

Oh, I would definitely copy the right files into the right folders. That is the whole point of the installer. :D I would also need to know how to read a .sow file though. That is, if we want the installer to install descent 2. <- Oh wait it is just an ARJ archive.

A couple other things to consider.
1. Would we want to ask if they want to install Descent 1? (There are so many release, disk, cd, anniversary, definitive...)
2. Would we ask if they have Vertigo? Thus solving the patch problem.

Oh, and could you please answer this directly?
I can't get the custom background to work. I tried the switch -altbg_name menu.tga and copied menu.tga to EVERY folder, but it still will not load.
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

menubg.tga

Postby Frustikus » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:58 am

Copy menubg.tga only to the DATA folder.
The correct switch within d2x.ini is "-altbg_name menubg.tga".
I use the switch "-menustyle 1" too and it is working fine for me even with the newest version (1.13.13)... so my descent loads my custom menubg.tga.

Hope this helps !
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

Postby Frustikus » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:25 am

Berzerk wrote:A couple other things to consider.
1. Would we want to ask if they want to install Descent 1? (There are so many release, disk, cd, anniversary, definitive...)
2. Would we ask if they have Vertigo? Thus solving the patch problem.

Sure. It is pretty complicated to install d2x-xl the right way if you have both games (D1 and D2) as separated originals. First a player has to install D1 and patch it to 1.5, then he must install D2 and patch it to 1.2, then he had to merge the d1 and d2 content and after that he must install d2x-xl with all the hires-stuff.
I think, it will be a big project to program an installer for all released versions of the descent series... but I would like to have such a program. Perhaps it should be a feature for a later release of the installer too, that the program will check itself which version of D2 is in the cd drive ;-). The first release should make a fresh install of D2 with the possibility to install D1 too.
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:12 am

Frustikus wrote:First a player has to install D1 and patch it to 1.5, then he must install D2 and patch it to 1.2......

That only apply to what boxed version you have. The Descent 1 & 2: Definitive Collection, and Descent 2: The Infinite Abyss are fully patched when installed.
So you are better off having the program check to make sure the files are up-to-date first. If not? Then the program should suggest to d/l and install the patches before continuing.

Only after that should the program move files, create folders and or suggest to d/l other files. ;)
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED
Berzerk

Re: menubg.tga

Postby Berzerk » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:17 pm

Frustikus wrote:Copy menubg.tga only to the DATA folder.
The correct switch within d2x.ini is "-altbg_name menubg.tga".
I use the switch "-menustyle 1" too and it is working fine for me even with the newest version (1.13.13)... so my descent loads my custom menubg.tga.

Hope this helps !

I have it set exactly like that, and it still will not work. I have also changed '-menustyle 0' and that doesn't work either. I posted this on sourceforge as a glitch,but it was just summarily closed.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:25 pm

It works for everybody else, so you must have made a mistake.
Berzerk

Postby Berzerk » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:32 pm

I have started work on the installer, and this is how I was thinking of doing it.

1 - Initial Welcome. Has Radio buttons to ask if they want to install hires or low.
2 - Install options, Install D1, Vertigo, High Quality Sounds, Install directory, Download latest versions, Install shortcuts? (click next),
3 - Installs, or downloads intial D2X-XL files (including hi or low res files)
4 - If Checked High Quality sounds are downloaded and installed as necessary
5 - If Install Descent 1 checked, asks for path to D1 CD, D1 is installed and patched if necessary
6 - Asks for path to D2 Cd, D2 is installed (And patched if not installing vertigo, and is wrong version)
7 - If Checked path to Vertigo cd is asked and it is installed
8 - Shortcuts installed
(In a later version a check of system setting would be here and recommended set up would be displayed)
9 - Command Switch menu to set up ini file is loaded. User checks the switches he wants.
10 - Finish is available and user can check Open readme, or launch D2X-XL before clicking finish.

Return to “General Discussions”