Dan Wentz has donated to the D2X-XL project!

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Dan Wentz has donated to the D2X-XL project!

Postby karx11erx » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:53 pm

You cannot imagine what that means to me. Dan Wentz was that level building wizard creating stuff others weren't even dreaming of back in the day! I marvelled at every of his creations. He ranks as a legend in the realm of Descent for me. It's awesome having heard from him, saying D2X-XL brings back sweet memories!
:omg:
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:05 am

Got some screenies + levels by him we can see? :mrgreen:
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:52 am

They're pretty much everywhere. He made the original Stadium levels and Inferno, just to name a few.
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:03 am

... He also made 'vampyro' and 'dark side of the moon'...
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:31 am

ummm ok, Sorry if I'm lazy and all, but I didn't want to d/l and play the lvls he made really.

I could have looked them up and played them, but what I wanted was to look at some examples of the work he did.

Screenshots of his work would have added to the why he's a legend. ;)

Never mind. :P
----System Specs----
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:52 am

He has his own section in my level spotlight, with screenshots enough, you lazy, lazy butt. :P
Last edited by karx11erx on Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:18 am

----System Specs----
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:24 am

I just found that D2X-XL reproducibly crashes in his mission Vampyro. :lolol: Will ofc be fixed asap.
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:27 pm

He also composed the D2 midi music, and created levels 2 and 4 of D2 Vertigo.
TechPro

Postby TechPro » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:25 pm

2 and 4 of Vertigo ?? :shock: Those are 2 of my favorite levels from that set. 8)
Life is short and only happens once. So make it a good one.
CH-3

Postby CH-3 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:24 am

... So that means that Dan Wentz realized that D2X-XL REALLY worth it. :D
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:31 am

I think it means that D2X-XL works for him, that he likes it, and that he appreciates the work that has gone into making it.
CH-3

Postby CH-3 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:00 am

Yeap! That has been years and years of hard work... REALLY hard work.
longwinded

Postby longwinded » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:13 pm

Pumo wrote:... He also made 'vampyro' and 'dark side of the moon'...

One of the things I liked best about Vampyro was the intro. I’ve got to quote it here – it’s just jolly good writing:

February 22nd 1681 –

Your name is Count Gregor, and you are master of a small castle in rural Transylvania. You have lived in the castle for three hundred years and instill terror into the hearts of the local peasants. Of course, being a vampire, you must feed off the villagers, but they are a tolerant community.

There have been no complaints.

Tonight you have a visitor, the most notorious and powerful vampire, Lord Vlad the Merciless …

‘We are in danger, Gregor. The human scum have grown insolent and learnt how to fight against our kind, not with garlic cloves and superstitious nonsense but with the stake. Our castles are being burned to the ground and our brethren murdered.

We must claim back this sacred land from the undeserving peasants that have scattered themselves upon it. I have proposed a solution and the other vampires have agreed to join me in the struggle.’

‘A solution?’

‘We will enslave the mortals! No more will they rise up against their natural masters. We will build great cages of iron and round up the peasants like cattle. They will be fed, tortured and finally killed when their blood is required. Join us, Gregor, and we will remove these unsightly creatures from a land which they no longer deserve.’

‘I cannot be a part of this, Lord Vlad. I bear no grudge against the humans, nor would I wish their enslavement. This is the way we have lived for centuries. This is the way of the vampire. Would you not reconsider your plan?’

Lord Vlad the Merciless looks at you coldly, then stands up and heads for the door.

‘So be it.’

March 16th 1681 –

The villagers are gathering round the castle. They are nervous but take strength in their numbers. Your friend Count Yorga sent word that this would happen, begging you to flee across the Carpathian mountains, but only now do you believe him. A thousand angry faces all believing you to be the angel of Satan.

It was Igor, your fathful mortal servant, who brought news of last night’s slaughter. Klarnsted, just three miles away, was raised to the ground and every one of its seventy inhabitants was not only killed but savagely mutilated and tortured. One of the villagers, a young girl, was found drained of blood, with two tiny holes in her neck. The evidence against you could not be more damning.

The hammering starts, desperate fists pounding the door.

The tables have turned. Now the villagers want your blood. You could hide, and burn with your castle, or face the mob and try to convince them of your innocence. As a vampire you must accept your fate, even if that means the stake.

When you open the door the crowd settles, and for a brief moment the villagers are stunned into silence. Finally they must confront their fears. They have come here to extinguish their past, but now they see you in the flesh there is a look of panic in their faces. You smile.

‘Welcome to my castle.’

Then it starts. Clubs, sticks, weapons of every unholy description pummel your undead skin. Knives rip deep, spears penetrate your limbs. The wounds heal as they form, but the pain you feel is more real than any human pain. Where a human would die a vampire can only scream.

You feel chains wrapped round you as the beating continues. Thick rope is pulled thight, secured, now tied round your neck, tighter, choking you. You cannot breathe, your lungs writhe in agony but you will not die. How you wish for death.

‘Fetch the stake! Let us rid the world of this monster!’

But a deep voice from the mob shouts:

‘Not the stake! Why let the beast die so quickly? Lock him the vault and brick him inside, so that he must suffer for all eternity. Let him scream for a thousand years for every one of the poor villagers he has killed.’

It is a familiar voice. Ah, yes, so familiar …

It is Count Yorga.

Several centuries later –

You have slept for many years. When a vampire cannot feed, he sleeps, not in discomfort, but in a dreamless state of oblivion.

Time passes quickly and painlessly.

Now you are awake, startled, your sensitive ears bombarded by the deafening crashes around you. You cover your face when a mass of bricks explodes inwards, and a huge rotating machine lunges into the vault. From the hole it has created several figures approach. The female speaks.

‘My name is General Ikara. You are Count Gregor I assume?’

Hunger is rising in you at the sight of these mortals. You say in a soft and painful croak:

‘Need blood.’

She smiles and passes you a metallic bottle.

Your eyes are fixed on the flesh of ther neck as you take the bottle and sniff its contents. You sip, slowly, to test its warmth. Warm, fresh, human blood. You gulp it down.

Ikara chuckles.

‘Synthi-blood. It isn’t real. How did it taste?’

‘Divine!’

‘We have been trying to perfect the formula for decades. Humans and vampires have been at war for many centuries, and we are losing the battle. When Count Yorga learned of our success with the synthi-blood he approached the vampire leader, Lord Vlad, and begged for an end to the fighting.

Vlad laughed at him, then drove a spear through his chest. It took him a week to die. Before he did, he sent me word of your imprisonment here. He said you would help us, for it was Vlad that arranged your downfall so many years ago. Vlad controls the other vampires. Defeat him, and the minions that protect his crypt, and we will have peace.’

You imagine your enemy’s castle burning in the moonlight.

‘I will crush Vlad and avenge Yorga’s death. It will be a pleasure.’

General Ikara beckons you.

‘I am glad you have joined us, Count Gregor. We have captured some of Vlad’s weapons. Let me show you …’

‘My God, what’s that?’

Ikara laughs.

‘You went straight to our most powerful weapon. This is the craft you’ll be flying.’

‘Flying?’

‘Oh yes. And this baby certainly flies. We call it the Vampyro …’

If you haven’t already, grab the mission at PlanetDescent and play one of the most original D2 levels ever created.

(Oh, and if you like DarkSide of the Moon, be sure to get Planet Invasion (planets.zip). It’s, like, a rudimentary D2 equivalent of Basewars.)
Last edited by longwinded on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SYSTEM SPECS (G556E, NOTEBOOK)
CPU: Intel Pentium M 1700 MHz
RAM: 1 GB DDR 333 MHz
HD: HTS726060M9AT00 (7200 RPM 60 GB IDE)
Video: ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
Sound: Realtek AC'97 Audio
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:07 pm

I don't know who built Planets, but I took a look at it - it looks awful. No comparison to Dan's levels.

Return to “General Discussions”