Interplay's NEW DESCENT page!

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:54 pm

Many people are so addicted to always have a sound curtain around you ... no music, and you feel sad, or depressed, or empty ... probably because you get music all around from childhood on ... for me this is like an addiction, and not too healthy. Kind of overwhelming your audio processing system with too much, like overwhelming the image processing by watching too much video.

The perverted apex of this is U.S. soldiers listening to heavy metal music while fighting (and probably killing innocents). Makes everything so unreal, and probably easier to get over it. No ttrying to attack particularly the U.S. here, just have read that about U.S. forces in Iraq.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:21 pm

TechPro wrote:You know, if that was true it actually be pretty cool. I can think of a few tunes I'd love to be rockin' out to while in a battle. :lol:

Still ... like you said, nearly always the music is actually detracting. Turning off the music allows the player to pay full attention to the other sounds around him/her in the level, allowing the player's senses to be finely tuned and responsive. In SP mode having no music allows the player to be deeply immersed in the surroundings and very responsive. In MP mode having no music allows the player to easily hard the approach of any opponent and instantly hear the direction the sounds come from.

Music only detracts when it's done badly (and yeah, technically in Descent 1 and 2 it is). If it's properly crafted to the environment, there are no problems; I never remember wanting to turn the music off in Unreal 2 or Crysis Warhead.

A lot of games these days do have no music in multiplayer though, pretty much for that reason. In the ones that do, it's usually relatively quiet (e.g. I can't really remember the UT3 music, even though I know it was there).
[RIP]AlphaDoG

Postby [RIP]AlphaDoG » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:55 pm

Just want to say thanks to everyone here for registering AND posting at Interplay. Together we CAN make a difference.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:30 am

:lol:
Red_5

Postby Red_5 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:46 pm

Alter-Fox wrote:Some of the levels I've built feel depressing with certain music (or none at all), but feel amazingly cool with other music. In my opinion, if you turn the music off, you're not getting the full experience the game was meant to have. I can understand why the music would be turned off for MP, but I find SP in any game is incredibly boring without music. (The first boss stage in Sonic Heroes feels incredibly cool, but only because of the music and the way it fits the level.)

Music isn't meant to make a game unrealistic; it's supposed to set the mood of a level.

I was shocked at how good Halo's soundtrack was. When I'm not getting shot at, it's fun to sit and listen. Halo's music contributes massively to the mood in a good way.
Regards from Red_5

MacBook Pro 13"
2.4GHz dual-core Intel i5 processor
320GB 5400-rpm hard drive
Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB DDR3 SDRAM
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 memory
7 Beautiful Hours of Battery
Gatling

Postby Gatling » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:23 pm

It depends on the game wheter music is important or not.. For a game like Descent I think it's nice to have a good tune on the background, but for an online 3d shooter, I would turn of the music as you will have a great advantage over ppl that have music on.
Btw good news that it seems like they're building D4.. Maybe you (karx11erx) should get a job over there..to make sure the game will be heading in the right direction.. You could even earn money for something you like and I'm sure they will be impressed by your portefolio ;).. D2Xl is already perfect.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:25 pm

Not yet... they appear to be planning to though, but there is a difference.
Capt. Blackwood

Postby Capt. Blackwood » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:53 pm

If they're selling descent 1 and descent 2 why are they using D3 Shots ? :?
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:41 pm

I'm not sure how much I'd like D4 if it didn't have light and smoke trails for weapons like D2X-XL. ;)
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:44 am

Capt. Blackwood wrote:If they're selling descent 1 and descent 2 why are they using D3 Shots ? :?

Because D3 offers the best graphical quality

Gameplay may be more important than graphics but it is the graphics alone and draws attention and thus, the potential cu$tomers
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:15 am

If you aim to impress, the best bet is pre-rendered scenes that don't actually exist in any of the games. :D
Capt. Blackwood

Postby Capt. Blackwood » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:49 am

Yokelassence wrote:
Capt. Blackwood wrote:If they're selling descent 1 and descent 2 why are they using D3 Shots ? :?

Because D3 offers the best graphical quality

Gameplay may be more important than graphics but it is the graphics alone and draws attention and thus, the potential cu$tomers

I see... :shock:

Return to “General Discussions”