Can't compile in Ubuntu 10.10

Install & setup problems, application questions and other nasty things ;)

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

minmay

Can't compile in Ubuntu 10.10

Postby minmay » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:34 pm

First of all: I am something of a Linux noob. Assume slightly more ignorance than usual when responding to this. Also, I searched and couldn't find an answer to this, but if there is one, I probably still deserve a kick in the pants.

I can't get D2X-XL to compile in Ubuntu 10.10. Everything up to 'make' works fine, but at that point I get this:

Code: Select all

make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/andrew/d2x-xl/trunk'
Making all in 2d
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/andrew/d2x-xl/trunk/2d'
if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I ../include -I ../input/include -I ../network/linux/include -I ../audio/linux/include -I /usr/local/include/SDL    -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -O3 -Wall -Wno-char-subscripts   -fopenmp -MT bitblt.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/bitblt.Tpo" -c -o bitblt.o bitblt.cpp; \
   then mv -f ".deps/bitblt.Tpo" ".deps/bitblt.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/bitblt.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
In file included from ../include/bitmap.h:4,
                 from ../include/gr.h:89,
                 from ../include/3d.h:20,
                 from ../include/descent.h:82,
                 from bitblt.cpp:18:
../include/ogl_defs.h:35: fatal error: GL/glew.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [bitblt.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/andrew/d2x-xl/trunk/2d'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/andrew/d2x-xl/trunk'
make: *** [all] Error 2

That's with the trunk from SVN, but the same error occurs with the stable versions available from SourceForge and the main site.
Those old Debian packages install just fine, and got the dependencies out of the way, but I'm noticing quite a few annoying bugs and would like to use a newer version.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:08 pm

You need to install glew and glew-dev. I found compiling D2X-XL on Ubuntu such a big PITA though that I re-installed openSUSE.
minmay

Postby minmay » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:36 am

Thanks, but now it can't find ../effects/glow.h. What else should I install?

Edit: I found some much more recent packages than the ones listed on the main site, which is nice for anyone else who can't compile: http://ppa.launchpad.net/glennric/d2x-xl/
Unfortunately, it seems that the version from those packages at least does not want to use my graphics card, resulting in unplayable slowness.

Edit, mk II: Apparently, rebooting my computer somehow makes the game like my graphics card again. I'm happy but confused.

Return to “D2X-XL Help”