Want to play Descent 1,2 HELP!!!

Install & setup problems, application questions and other nasty things ;)

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Saturnize

Want to play Descent 1,2 HELP!!!

Postby Saturnize » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:45 am

Hi. I came across my GOG.com account and decided to play some Descent 1,2. I fired up Descent 2 and every thing was FASTER like the emulation was too fast... So after searching on google I figured out that D2X-XL fixed this...problem. So I installed it and it worked, I was able to run D2X-XL, except I was having a few problems...

1. The Original Music/Any Music Period wouldn't play.

2. The Original Missions are nowhere to be found.

3. I have no idea how to go about using my Logitech Attack 3 Joystick.

4. (Minor issue) After shooting a weapon for a continuous amount of time, the sound gets distorted.

I have no idea if gog's version of descent 1,2 already comes prepatched but I am unable to install the patch being on a 64 bit machine.

How do I install this game having the original discs?

Thanks.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: Want to play Descent 1,2 HELP!!!

Postby karx11erx » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:34 am

Hi,

You need to purchase the original game data (e.g. at GoG.com). D2X-XL only replaces the executable and adds a few new textures and sounds required for the enhancements it offers.
Saturnize

Postby Saturnize » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:36 pm

karx11erx wrote:Hi,

You need to purchase the original game data (e.g. at GoG.com). D2X-XL only replaces the executable and adds a few new textures and sounds required for the enhancements it offers.

I did
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:56 pm

You should install the hires-sounds to fix your #4 issue.

About the other 3, personally I have never had these problems, and I have no idea what to do for any of them except #1.
And I'm not sure if this advice will actually work either. But anyway.
Make a copy of the file "d2x-default.ini" in your config folder, and name it "d2x.ini". This step you should do no matter if you were having any problems with the game at all, so that your out-of-program config settings (which you use this file for) won't be overwritten every time you update the game.

Next step aka first real step: open d2x.ini with a text editor (like Notepad) and add this line at the end (without the quotes) "-midifix 1".
This might fix the issue with the midi music. It'll sound a bit different from the way it did in Dosbox because it uses your system's midi synth rather than emulating an OPL3 sound card. I had to explain how midi works to someone yesterday -- I hope you already understand it because I really don't want to have to type that all out again.

If this doesn't work, I've got a bunch of ogg files set up for myself that are supposed to work like the D2 Redbook soundtrack did in the original D2 release (but with the longer song versions from the Vertigo expansion and the Infinite Abyss aka the GOG version). I can send you what I have set up for me with instructions for how to set it up yourself. The songs won't play in the same order that they played in the GOG version, they'll play in the order that they played in the original D2 release. I don't see how this wouldn't be legal because Interplay did release these versions of the songs for free a while back.

About #2, some clarification could be useful:
You say you can't find the original missions. Can you find any missions when you start a new game?

If so, then what are the user-made missions you have installed?
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
Saturnize

Postby Saturnize » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:46 pm

Alter-Fox wrote:...If this doesn't work, I've got a bunch of ogg files set up for myself that are supposed to work like the D2 Redbook soundtrack did in the original D2 release (but with the longer song versions from the Vertigo expansion and the Infinite Abyss aka the GOG version). I can send you what I have set up for me with instructions for how to set it up yourself. The songs won't play in the same order that they played in the GOG version, they'll play in the order that they played in the original D2 release. I don't see how this wouldn't be legal because Interplay did release these versions of the songs for free a while back.

About #2, some clarification could be useful:
You say you can't find the original missions. Can you find any missions when you start a new game?

If so, then what are the user-made missions you have installed?

Could you please tell me how to set up the ogg music files so that they play in D2? That would be awesome :).

When I say "no original missions are appearing" I am saying the original missions that were on D2 do not appear. Instead some other missions that I have no idea where they are from.

For example, the only thing/missions that appear in "New Game" is:

[2]Descent 2: Counterstrike
[2]Pandemonium
[2]Dogfight!.

And When I click on "Single Player" Only this appears.

[2]Descent 2: Counterstrike

How do I play the original missions that came on the Descent 2 retail CD/GOG.com??? They don't appear.
ryguy64

Postby ryguy64 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:22 am

Descent 2: Counterstrike is the original that came with the CD.
Saturnize

Postby Saturnize » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:15 am

ryguy64 wrote:Descent 2: Counterstrike is the original that came with the CD.

It is not. This has only 11 levels. The original mission has 24.
ryguy64

Postby ryguy64 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:36 am

My Descent 2: Counterstrike has 24 levels...
When you click on it, does it say "select a starting level" and say "1-11"?
It will only let you pick a level you have been to. So if you haven't been to level 24, you won't be able to select it.
Saturnize

Postby Saturnize » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:47 am

ryguy64 wrote:My Descent 2: Counterstrike has 24 levels...
When you click on it, does it say "select a starting level" and say "1-11"?
It will only let you pick a level you have been to. So if you haven't been to level 24, you won't be able to select it.

Wtf?? I swear when i started this on level 1 it was a completely different mission setup. Well I found the original levels lol... Gee I feel stupid.

Now all I need is to.

1. Get the Original redbook music playing.

2. Install the high res sounds.

3. Configure this game to use my "Logitech Attack 3" joystick.

Could someone help me out with #3? :)
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:17 am

Go back to the top of this thread and look at karx11erx's sig and click on the link to "FAQ" and read it. That should solve most, if not all questions regarding your problems.

Otherwise do a search. Most of these questions have been solved over the years in this forum in other threads. ;)
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED
ryguy64

Postby ryguy64 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:53 am

I see that it's been a little while. Did you get your joystick working? I have the same joystick, and got it set up. I'll help if I can.

Return to “D2X-XL Help”