Trying to Install Descent 2 on Windows 7. HELP!

Install & setup problems, application questions and other nasty things ;)

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Guard55

Trying to Install Descent 2 on Windows 7. HELP!

Postby Guard55 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:08 pm

I have the CD version, right here on my desk. Le Original. But the problem is when I try to install it, it gives me an error saying that I need it to be compatible. I was so disappointed when I read that. I looked recently on the internet and found this neat little website. I scoured the forums, searching for a topic related to installation problems. I found one stating that I needed WinRAR and extract some sort of files to something... But I'm very confused, how do I do this exactly?
Enzo03

Re: Trying to Install Descent 2 on Windows 7. HELP!

Postby Enzo03 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:47 pm

I.. didn't do this. I'm not sure exactly what you're supposed to do with WinRAR, but what I instead did was get DOSBox and install Descent 2 using it. After this, you can just put D2X (any version) in the same folder.

If you take the DOSBox path, you will have to go through a process of mounting a folder as the C:\ drive and the CD drive as, well, the CD drive.

An easy way to do it:
Z:\>mount c c:\games (or whatever folder you want to put it in)
Z:\>mount d (CD drive letter here):\ -t cdrom

then you can type D: and at the prompt:
D:\>install

you should be able to follow the instructions to install it.

After doing this, you may want to patch D2, and you may have to do this through DOSBox as well. For example, if you have the Vertigo expansion then you can just stick the Vertigo disk in the drive and then on D:\> you can just install again.

This way will ensure a solid D2 install. After this, you can exit DOSBox and move the D2 folder wherever you want, if you don't want it where it is at.

And then just put D2X (whichever flavor) into it.

As a bonus, if you want to play Descent 2 in its purest form, you can do so through DOSBox if you did it this way.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:22 am

Guard55,

On the CD.... look for the DESCENT2.SOW file. Right click and open it using WinRAR and you can extract the contents of that file for any folder.

After that you will need to read up on how to setup the contents of those files for XL to work properly.
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED
Guard55

Postby Guard55 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:23 pm

Thank you so very much! I appreciate the help! :D

Return to “D2X-XL Help”