Custom weapons mod?

Install & setup problems, application questions and other nasty things ;)

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Retrochallengegamer

Re: Custom weapons mod?

Postby Retrochallengegamer » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:43 pm

That worked! Thanks! All that's left is the robots shooting robots and I'll be set to record! The game looks gorgeous! :clap:
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:45 pm

Smoke trails and warp effect ok?

Glad you like it. :D

I am getting so much criticism for D2X-XL's features and polish, and though the game has faithful friends, these have all expressed their appreciation long time ago, and few comments of that category cross my ways these days ...
Retrochallengegamer

Postby Retrochallengegamer » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:52 pm

Yes, all works as it should. Other than the aforementioned bug that I reported on the tracker, everything seems set to go. Just can't record until we get this robot shoot robot bug gone. Vertigo Boss 7 does impede my view quite a bit, especially if he's fired rapid-fire. :crazy: As mentioned before, Vertigo Boss 7, Red Guard, SPIKE and a few other Vertigo robots are fired from various enemies with missiles. I'm guessing Boss 7 is flash missiles, and SPIKE is concussion, can't figure out Red Guard yet. I also assume other missile types are affected this way too.
When I finally get around to posting the videos, I'll be singing the program's praises. It was a bit convoluted in setting up all the features and such that I wanted for my challenge, but once situated, it works like a charm.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:14 pm

Please post a savegame in the bug ticket where you face such a robot. That would make testing easier for me not having to search them.
Retrochallengegamer

Postby Retrochallengegamer » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:34 pm

Well the first one I won't even bother since its right after the opening room in level 1. Just exit the entry way and its right past the first, central pillar. He shoots Boss 7. I 'will' give you a save game right before the blue door, same level, beyond that is another enemy that shoots a SPIKE. If you FREESPACE skip to level 13 and head up out of the starting area, you find a weird robot that shoots the Red Guard boss. I found out this is a Smart Missile. Same room, but down the hallway to the energy center is another odd robot that shoots robots. Both of these found within seconds of starting level 13. Uploading save file for the blue door now.

EDIT: I also felt it cool to show some comparison shots:

I feel there is no contest here! :guru:
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:42 pm

If I recall, the Lost Levels ham has certain models replacing Vertigo robots, sometimes missiles which might be the stem cause of your problem. Especially since Enemy Within hxm files might also be doing the same thing. The custom weapons only work in all the multiplayer levels I've included it with because there were no robots to mess things up. Transferring the ham to Enemy Within is a dicey business. I'd suggest going without. I don't have the programs or technical know how anymore to make a 'weapons only' ham. Although that would be nice for portability.

Why are you even using the mod on enemy within?
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:00 pm

Next time you start mixing mod files from different missions, I will give you a D2X-XL version where robots are shooting troll faces. :P
Retrochallengegamer

Postby Retrochallengegamer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:09 pm

Well, I tested it out with Rebirth and it works just fine with the modified descent2.ham, so I have no idea what the issue is. The reason I'm working with this is because of my challenge I want to do with the mission. I am doing the mission blind and to add insult to injury, I am going in blind with a brand new set of weapons I've never had the opportunity to work with and become familiar with. Added onto this, no secret gathering and I'm considering cold starting each level too. But the weapons mod, I feel, is a must to make this challenge even more interesting. If XL can't get it working, I might have to find something else to work with that does. It sucks, because it looks so damn pretty! :|
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:11 pm

TEW looks fine w/o that change. D2X-XL does a lot more model handling wise than Rebirth, as it also supports shadow proof versions of the original game models and hires models.

I noticed an aligment flaw of afterburner, energy and shield level texts in the bar hud. A new D2X-XL version fixing that is available. You may want to use that one for your LP.

I have also uploaded an update of The Enemy Within to my web site. It contains high quality lightmaps (lightmap quality / precision: high / standard) and the required light and mesh data in the proper subfolders. Just download and extract to your D2X-XL root folder (make sure to extract with folders). TEW will be placed in missions/single.

Edit:

Now that I knew how to make that bug happen, I could fix it.
Retrochallengegamer

Postby Retrochallengegamer » Fri May 01, 2015 1:01 am

The new version works! No more robot shooting! :clap:
I downloaded your current TEW file and extracted it to the root Descent 2 folder, light maps and all, but the game refuses to listen and barrels on precomputing the lightmaps anyway! Oh well, gotta wait through it. But now I can finally start recording!
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri May 01, 2015 1:04 am

Could be your multithreading settings. Try "-multi_threaded 4" if your computer can handle it.
Retrochallengegamer

Postby Retrochallengegamer » Fri May 01, 2015 1:07 pm

Multithreading doesn't seem to do anything. And it appears to be on a 'as-needed' basis too. What that means is: As I start up the level, regardless if there is an existing lightmap for the level, it'll precompute lighting. If I quit out of Descent 2 and restart it up later, it'll have to recompute the same level's lighting regardless if I just did it 5 minutes prior. Kinda annoying which means I'm only going to be doing this one level at a time and progress through the set will be slower as a result. Before upgrading to the latest build and downloading the latest TEW version from your site, I didn't have to do this. It just accepted the existing lightmaps already in the cache.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri May 01, 2015 7:09 pm

That's not the normal behaviour. Another anomality exclusive to your setup. Which d2x-xl program are you using (d2x-xl.exe / d2x-xl-omp.exe / x64\d2x-xl.exe)?

Does d2x-xl even create lightmaps on your system (check the subfolder "cache\lightmaps").
Retrochallengegamer

Postby Retrochallengegamer » Fri May 01, 2015 8:49 pm

I've tried all three of those exe programs, same issue. I've also checked my cache/lightmaps folder and they do indeed create actual lightmaps after every computation. It overwrites the previous however, instead of creating doubles. Not sure how unique my setup is, since all of it works pretty flawlessly now with the exception of the now appeared lightmap issue.
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Sat May 02, 2015 3:02 pm

Speaking as someone who wouldn't be able to find a bug in the code if it bit him in the face, what I'd suggest is to delete your cache folder entirely and make a new one. Stuff like that has been known to help me solve weird issues like this.

Also I want to see the bug with the robots shooting more robots, it sounds hilarious. Video?
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce

Return to “D2X-XL Help”