Custom weapons mod?

Install & setup problems, application questions and other nasty things ;)

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Retrochallengegamer

Re: Custom weapons mod?

Postby Retrochallengegamer » Sat May 02, 2015 7:45 pm

I've already deleted the video off my hard drive. Maybe karx11erx has it still from the bug report? Either way, I just recorded my the first level + briefing and already starting on the second. Great fun and it looks wonderful. I should have up the first video in a few weeks once I get a good backlog going. :rock:
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat May 02, 2015 9:29 pm

I cannot figure why lightmaps are constantly getting recomputed on your computer. The ones I had precomputed for TEW are accepted by all three d2x-xl program variants on my system. Does your harddrive happen to be full?
Retrochallengegamer

Postby Retrochallengegamer » Sun May 03, 2015 12:42 am

Negative. I still got a good 300+ GB left on it!
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Sun May 03, 2015 1:53 am

I just wonder if it's possible there could be something about the cache folder itself or the lightmaps folder inside of it that is stopping D2X-XL from reading what's in it?
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun May 03, 2015 9:45 am

D2X-XL has a switch where it will recompute the lighting every time you start a level - but when that switch is active, it doesn't store any of that data on HD (or SSD). I think I will add some diagnostics to that code, printing the reason some precomputed lightmap data isn't accepted to d2x.log.

Edit:

Been there, done that. Please download v1.17.134 and make a bug ticket where you attach your d2x.log from your next failed attempt to use precomputed lightmaps.
Retrochallengegamer

Postby Retrochallengegamer » Sun May 03, 2015 10:45 am

In case you were wondering what my workstation looked like seconds before rendering the first video. A lot of work goes into each video in terms of post editing. :mrgreen: You're probably wondering why I have two video editing parts, well actually one is the video with the gameplay sound and one is the video with my voice commentary as I'm playing. I'm using FRAPs to record the actual game footage itself on my PC. I'm recording, at the same time on my laptop, the audio commentary as I'm playing. I then transfer my voice over and sync it up to the action in post. Why the heck of convoluted setup? I want full control over how my voice sounds over the volume of the game and I can edit the two track volumes separately. Furthermore, I sometimes I have lengthy pauses during my speech and commentary depending on the action at hand and I find that to be distracting at times. So a little post editing makes it flow smoother. So a topic discussion about the Anglers in level 1 that normally took about 45 seconds to discuss while I was playing, with pauses removed, runs at a more smoother flow of 20-25 seconds. It just makes me sound better than I really am while playing! :thumb: There you go, my secret is out!

EDIT: Don't worry, I keep all awesome blind reactions at the time stamp they occur in after post sync. Its the longer dialogues I tend to group together.
Last edited by Retrochallengegamer on Sun May 03, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun May 03, 2015 1:29 pm

Looking forward to your videos! :clap:

Have you been able to create a d2x.log with the new diagnostic messages for lightmap loading for me already?
Retrochallengegamer

Postby Retrochallengegamer » Sun May 03, 2015 7:28 pm

Not yet, what exactly do I need to do specifically? Either way, I just came across something odd, not sure if its the level set itself or not, but as I was recording level 2 and before I entered the red door which goes into that rather curvy, long, dark hallway of water and rock, I just suddenly died. Was at 102 shields, not a robot around and then...dead. Not my fault. Thankfully I caught it on film and you should see it when I get around to uploading level 2 in the future.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun May 03, 2015 8:06 pm

You need to put "-printlog" in your d2x.ini file. D2X-XL will then create a file "cache\d2x.log". That's the file I need.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon May 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Do me a favor and get me that d2x.log file please!
Retrochallengegamer

Postby Retrochallengegamer » Mon May 04, 2015 11:55 pm

Real life just got busy. I honestly haven't had a chance to download the new version or even play Descent at all. When I have time to get around to it, I will. Be patient. :?

EDIT: As a matter of fact, I'm going to be out of town later this week for about 10 days. So I won't have access to the main PC with which I record. So it might be a while before you get any solid answers on this problem. :( :clue:
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue May 05, 2015 2:38 am

Ok, at least I know what's going on. :)
Retrochallengegamer

Postby Retrochallengegamer » Wed May 06, 2015 2:10 am

How do you want me to send it to you? I got the log. Pasting it all here seems...overkill.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed May 06, 2015 9:58 am

Make a bug ticket on SF.net and attach it there please.
Retrochallengegamer

Postby Retrochallengegamer » Fri May 08, 2015 10:49 pm

What's the best way to highlight my playseries? Once its started, do I put a new topic in the mapping and mod forum and post a new video every time I upload? How would you like me to handle this once it goes live?

Return to “D2X-XL Help”