Idea for precomputing lightmaps

Install & setup problems, application questions and other nasty things ;)

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

0x6A7232

Idea for precomputing lightmaps

Postby 0x6A7232 » Sat May 02, 2015 2:25 pm

Is there a way to have D2X-XL precompute lightmaps in the background using low priority?

So that one could use a command line switch to have D2X-XL go through all the levels whilst the computer is used for other tasks.

Perhaps also have a way for it to pause / resume work from a checkpoint (support user interrupting and resuming lightmap computation).

Dunno, just a thought I had after I ended the D2X-XL task while computing lightmaps for a mission (I had used Win+D to minimize it and I don't think it liked that; at the very least, the progress bar was stuck, not sure if it was actually doing anything behind that or not).
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: Idea for precomputing lightmaps

Postby karx11erx » Sat May 02, 2015 9:32 pm

You can limit the number of threads d2x-xl is using (to be precise: the d2x-xl-omp and x64\d2x-xl variants of the program) with the -multi_threaded switch in d2x.ini.

Which version of d2x-xl are you using? The latest ones show two progress bars to display d2x-xl's activity a bit better.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sun May 03, 2015 9:35 am

You can set process priority using Task Manager, I believe. Since D2X-XL doesn't spin up new processes it should hold as long as you need it to.
atesin

Postby atesin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:58 pm

hi ... i am glad to be here .. i play descent* from its beginning, all versions in all forms .. many time since i don't play with d2x-xl

this port is pretty good, until having so many options is a little confused and the game by default does not look like original descent, but i like it

recently i installed and have to wait an eternity to game precompute lightmaps, so i was thinking...

is there some external command line utility to precompute lightmaps? (win, linux, osx?).. i noted when d2x is precomputing lightmaps and you minimize it pauses.. i want to let precomputing lightmaps while i am doing other tasks (browse, play another game, go to eat, etc)
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:14 pm

Hi,

recent versions of D2X-XL could freeze during lightmap calculation. This has been fixed in v1.18.48.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but you should be able to ALT+TAB to other applications while D2X-XL keeps working in the background.

You can make D2X-XL look like the original game, but that's not the goal of this project. Therefore, you are getting improved graphics as D2X-XL's default setting.
atesin

Postby atesin » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:05 pm

too bad i noted when i alt-tab, or minimize or whatever i take away window focus, the progress bars just stops :(

also, should be nice if i let precomputing lightmaps by command line in another computer (i have a xeon 12 cores linux server) and where ready jut copy files to my pc and play :D

or if anyone had done yet, where can i download it? (if legal)

help please, i never seen d2x-xl at full graphics and wanna try
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:15 pm

I just tried it: D2X-XL lightmap precalculation keeps running after alt+tabbing from d2x-xl to another program (even if the other program completely covers the d2x-xl window). At least on Windows 7.

Lightmap files computed on another machine are fully compatible. I have written a post about good lightmap settings in the dev blah thread, you should read it.

Return to “D2X-XL Help”