Lightning slowdown

Install & setup problems, application questions and other nasty things ;)

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

FinnFann

Lightning slowdown

Postby FinnFann » Sun May 24, 2015 1:04 pm

Now I didn't want to make a bug without confirming first. I have a pretty hefty gaming rig with a 970gtx at the moment, but lightning when set to max causes some pretty intense slowdown even on this rig. As soon as it's lowered even one level it immediately returns to normal speeds, even if there wasn't lightning currently on screen.

Anyone else seeing this?
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: Lightning slowdown

Postby karx11erx » Sun May 24, 2015 1:17 pm

If you have a lot of shield boost powerups in your level, setting lightning to max can cause this. Computing lightning isn't well optimized and takes a lot of horse power.

However, I have the suspicion that your glow settings are the problem. Don't set them to full. One setting lower should work just as well (I should probably rename that one to "optimized"). It just limits the area around a glowing object it will blur, often saving massive graphics memory bandwidth. "full" always blurs the entire render buffer, and depending on stuff to be blurred that can happen multiple times per frame, killing your frame rate.
FinnFann

Postby FinnFann » Sun May 24, 2015 1:22 pm

karx11erx wrote:If you have a lot of shield boost powerups in your level, setting lightning to max can cause this. Computing lightning isn't well optimized and takes a lot of horse power.

However, I have the suspicion that your glow settings are the problem. Don't set them to full. One setting lower should work just as well (I should probably rename that one to "optimized"). It just limits the area around a glowing object it will blur, often saving massive graphics memory bandwidth. "full" always blurs the entire render buffer, and depending on stuff to be blurred that can happen multiple times per frame, killing your frame rate.

Renaming it optimized mode would be good. Also that would explain why the level slowed down. I was playing the D1 monolevel. With the amount of powerups that must be in it that'd explain the heavy lightning slowdown.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun May 24, 2015 4:05 pm

I have chosen a different path.

Since the optimized mode works very well now, there is no reason to render glow fullscreen; I had only done that when the glow effect was still in development to have a comparison for the optimized mode, allowing me to see whether it worked properly. So glow will now always use the optimization, and "full" glow will just blur a few more scene elements.

I have also added some code to avoid trying to render or animate lightning effects for powerups that have not been rendered the actual frame.
FinnFann

Postby FinnFann » Sun May 24, 2015 4:10 pm

karx11erx wrote:I have chosen a different path.

Since the optimized mode works very well now, there is no reason to render glow fullscreen; I had only done that when the glow effect was still in development to have a comparison for the optimized mode, allowing me to see whether it worked properly. So glow will now always use the optimization, and "full" glow will just blur a few more scene elements.

I have also added some code to avoid trying to render or animate lightning effects for powerups that have not been rendered the actual frame.

Let me know when the build is out and I'll give the mono level a try with these changes. Seems to be the best thing to test them on.
Retrochallengegamer

Postby Retrochallengegamer » Mon May 25, 2015 12:12 am

I had these slowdown issues with the lighting as well and this was before the addition of the hyper-dynamic lighted shield orbs and such.
FinnFann

Postby FinnFann » Mon May 25, 2015 1:01 am

Not too sure about lighting speed, but the performance hit with lightning at max is FAR lower than it was before. Mono level still sees around a 10 fps drop with full lightning, but that's much better than before. MUCH better. My guess is for any sane level it'll be fine now :P

Return to “D2X-XL Help”