LAN Issues (Plus logfile stuff)

Install & setup problems, application questions and other nasty things ;)

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Jeod

LAN Issues (Plus logfile stuff)

Postby Jeod » Wed May 27, 2015 1:47 am

My buddy (let's call him Ben) and I are trying to play coop in the same house. He is connected to our router by ethernet cable, and I am connected wirelessly. We use UDP to play and we can join eachother's games perfectly fine. Everything is smooth up until a level ends. My (host) score screen does not update and shows Ben as playing (P), even though he is now waiting for me to load the next level. What is the problem here?
Last edited by Jeod on Fri May 29, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FinnFann

Re: LAN Issues

Postby FinnFann » Wed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm

Jeod wrote:My buddy (let's call him Ben) and I are trying to play coop in the same house. He is connected to our router by ethernet cable, and I am connected wirelessly. We use UDP to play and we can join eachother's games perfectly fine. Everything is smooth up until a level ends. My (host) score screen does not update and shows Ben as playing (P), even though he is now waiting for me to load the next level. What is the problem here?

Certainly sounds like an issue. Might want to file it as a bug on the bug tracker to get it looked at faster.
https://sourceforge.net/p/d2x-xl/_list/ ... rce=navbar
Remember to attach your d2x.ini, profile files, and the log file in cache when the incident occurs. It'll help speed things up.
Jeod

Postby Jeod » Wed May 27, 2015 12:39 pm

Okay, I can do that. But first, I'd like to test this on an older version of D2X-XL. However, I can't find a link for older versions anywhere. I remember playing this game successfully over hamachi back in 2010, so I figured I was probably using version 1.17.
FinnFann

Postby FinnFann » Wed May 27, 2015 12:47 pm

Jeod wrote:Okay, I can do that. But first, I'd like to test this on an older version of D2X-XL. However, I can't find a link for older versions anywhere. I remember playing this game successfully over hamachi back in 2010, so I figured I was probably using version 1.17.

Source forge has some old final releases. Just open the folder of your OS.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/d2x-xl/files/
Jeod

Postby Jeod » Wed May 27, 2015 12:51 pm

Alright, I gave 1.17 a go, and the same thing happens. That makes me think this isn't a bug but something wrong with my settings. I searched google and nothing comes up. What could cause this to happen? All packets are being sent, at least until the level ends...
Jeod

Postby Jeod » Wed May 27, 2015 12:56 pm

Found the problem:

The score screen locks up if ONE PLAYER DOES NOT ESCAPE THE MINE! I tested a scenario where both players escape the mine before the reactor blows up, and the next level loaded perfectly. So then, this is a bug in the game itself. If a player dies before escaping the mine in coop, should the game continue as normal, or should the level be played again due to failure?

EDIT: ticket #2856 created
Jeod

Postby Jeod » Thu May 28, 2015 1:24 am

Fixed as of 1.18.20! Now perhaps someone can explain whether this next one is a bug or not. I select Level 2 in Descent First Strike for coop, but the game starts us on Level 1 every time. Why?
Jeod

Postby Jeod » Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

Bump, would like an answer to this since we can't progress through the game properly. Do I need to add files to the 'single' folder??
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu May 28, 2015 1:11 pm

No, you need to post a bug ticket. I just finished and uploaded a program update, and I forgot to look into this issue before doing so because you posted bugs here instead of the tracker where they belong, so I promptly missed it.
Jeod

Postby Jeod » Thu May 28, 2015 1:40 pm

I didn't know if it was a bug since the 'single' folder exists. Had to check for user error first, I'll post the tracker now. #2857
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu May 28, 2015 1:45 pm

Well, you specify level X, where X > 1, and D2X-XL loads level 1.

Looks like a lear case of a bug to me.

I just lose tracks of program issues too easily in the forum, while I always have a neat list of them in the bug tracker and check my e-mail for tracker updates several times a day.
Jeod

Postby Jeod » Thu May 28, 2015 2:01 pm

I hear you re: organization! Quick question that can be answered here: where can I find crash dumps? D2X-XL has crashed a few times for me in odd places. I'd like to pinpoint the issues before filing bug reports so I can be detailed and thorough--and to make sure it isn't user error. Having a new laptop with an i7 core and a real graphics card (not lame Intel HD GFX) makes it easy to pump everything to max without stopping to think what it might do to stability.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu May 28, 2015 2:03 pm

d2x.log should be found in the 'cache' subfolder of your D2X-XL installation. D2X-XL will only create d2x.log if you put '-printlog' in d2x.ini. d2x.log will often only give rough hints to what has happened though. E.g. a memory violation can have happened anywhere, not just right in the code area that has produced the last line in the log file.

Regarding deciding what might be a bug and what not: Just use your common sense in the first place. If in doubt, post a bug ticket. I understand that not everybody will understand all the intricacies of programming and program parameterization. Even a "false positive" is easier to handle for me in the bug tracker system.

Use the forum for actual discussions, e.g. about whether some program behavior makes sense or would make more sense if working differently, etc.
Jeod

Postby Jeod » Fri May 29, 2015 6:27 pm

Showing title screens
CMidi::PlaySong (title)
CMidi::PlaySong (C:/Program Files (x86)/Descent I & II/music/d2/title.ogg)
SDL_mixer failed to load
(Couldn't read from 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Descent I & II/music/d2/title.ogg')
CMidi::PlaySong (descent.hmp)
SDL_mixer playing descent.hmp

What is causing SDL_Mixer to fail? Does this mean it isn't playing the higher quality sounds?

caching weapon sprites
couldn't find animation for 'flare#0'
caching powerup sprites
caching effect textures
couldn't find animation for 'flare#1'
couldn't find animation for 'flare#2'
couldn't find animation for 'flare#3'
couldn't find animation for 'flare#4'
couldn't find animation for 'flare#5'
couldn't find animation for 'flare#6'
couldn't find animation for 'flare#7'
couldn't find animation for 'flare#8'

???

creating draw buffer
draw buffer handle = 1
Creating 4 color buffers
color buffer #1 handle = 1081
color buffer #2 handle = 1082
color buffer #3 handle = 1083
color buffer #4 handle = 1084
Creating depth buffer (type = 1)
creating draw buffer
draw buffer handle = 2
Creating 4 color buffers
color buffer #1 handle = 1087
color buffer #2 handle = 1088
color buffer #3 handle = 1089
color buffer #4 handle = 1090
Creating depth buffer (type = 1)
creating draw buffer
draw buffer handle = 3
Creating 1 color buffers
color buffer #1 handle = 1112
Creating depth buffer (type = -2)
creating draw buffer
draw buffer handle = 4
Creating 1 color buffers
color buffer #1 handle = 1113
Creating depth buffer (type = -2)
building sphere shader program for color effect
building sphere shader program for hit effect

The program crashes at the end of this line. Crash occurred after shooting the robot holding the blue keycard on Level 20.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: LAN Issues (Plus logfile stuff)

Postby karx11erx » Fri May 29, 2015 7:26 pm

SDL_mixer failed to load title.ogg. Maybe it's not where it looked for it?

D2X-XL checks a lot of things, and some messages are purely informational.

Crashes do not necessarily occur right after D2X-XL's last output to d2x.log. They often occur somewhere and some time after it and are unrelated to that log line.

d2x.log is mainly a developer tool and can be very misleading for people who do not know the D2X-XL code and code execution paths.

I think I have made myself pretty clear about where to post bug reports.

Return to “D2X-XL Help”