No Sound in Movies

Install & setup problems, application questions and other nasty things ;)

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Kamex

No Sound in Movies

Postby Kamex » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:48 am

I'm able to run the game fine, and there are music and sound effects in game and in the menu. The movies, however, are silent, though they seem to play fine visually.

I use Windows Vista Ultimate, but I enabled user write access to my D2X-XL folder to help prevent Vista-related problems. Sound card is a Sound Blaster X-Fi.

Help is appreciated. Thank you.
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:54 am

D2X-XL FAQ wrote:I have a noteable audio delay with movies on Windows Vista

* This is caused by Vista's audio enhancements. to turn them off, open the control panel, chose sound, click on the speakers/headphones box below, then click on properties, select the enhancements tab, and finally check the disable all enhancements box.

Maybe it's related with this entry on the main D2X-XL FAQ.
I recommend you to check this out
(and also to check the D2X-XL FAQ constantly. You can access it through Diedel's (karx11erx) signature in any post of him or in the D2X-XL section of descent2.de ;) )
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
Kamex

Postby Kamex » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:02 am

I thought it might be a similar issue, but I tried that and it did not fix the problem.
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:10 am

So check in the d2x.ini file if there's a line with the '-hires_sound 1' switch. If it is, change it to '-hires_sound 0' (without the quotes), and see if that works.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:53 am

Kamex stated that sound effects in game was already working so hires_sound 1 may not be the cause of the problem here.
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:15 pm

When the hi-res sounds are enabled the game can't play any sounds that aren't in hi-res, though.
Kamex

Postby Kamex » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:10 am

Hey all. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

Due to this, and other issues with game compatibility, I decided to reformat my computer with a Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot. On a clean install of Windows XP, the problem no longer occurs and the movies now play correctly. On the new clean install of Vista, the problem continues to occur, so that eliminates the possibility of it being a problem with something configured on my system. I do not believe the problem is in any way UAC-related, because D2X-XL is now on a partition that is entirely writable to users. I personally do not think the problem is even directly Vista-related, because to my knowledge, there are people who can play the movies fine in Vista, so that leads me to suspect the problem involves a compatibility issue with the Vista version of the drivers for my sound card. I suppose it's also possible I'm missing some sort of codec in a default Vista install?

The problem is not due to hi-res sounds, because I have already disabled hi-res sounds when I found I had no sound effects. Disabling hi-res sounds corrected this problem, but did nothing to help the movies.

Might be helpful to post more detailed system specs:

Dell XPS 410
Intel Core 2 Quad Core, 2.4ghz
3GB of RAM accessible to 32-bit Windows
Three hard drives, a 300GB internal, a 250GB USB, and a 750GB USB. Size of the partition D2X-XL is installed on is 208GB. The partition resides on the internal hard drive, and has the same drive letter assigned to it on both OSs. It is formatted in NTFS.
NVidia GeForce 8800 GTX PCIe Video card with 768MB of RAM.

The video and sound drivers installed are the Dell versions.

Edit: Thought I'd add that this install has the extra movies I got from the web site. During some attempts at getting this to work, I figured out that the very first movie that plays, the Interplay logo movie, will have sound on the first run, but all other movies will not. I don't know if this is due to something special about the Interplay movie, or if it's simply because it's the first movie to be played. After that, no sound will play in even the Interplay movie until I rename the D2X-XL folder so that it has a name/path that I haven't run it with ever before.
Straint

Postby Straint » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:11 am

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I wanted to jump in on this discussion. This issue has been giving me frustration for some time (as I'm also running Vista) and know this is probably impacting any other Vista users who are running D2X-XL, so I wanted to report that I've identified the exact cause and solution for this issue.

I've been posting in this SourceForge thread with updates on the problem so that a more proper fix can be looked into, but to summarize: The issue lies with two components: Descent 2's reliance on MIDI for music playback (with calls all over the code to change MIDI volume levels at certain events), and changes in Vista's sound system that prevent applications from changing the whole system's volume level - the Vista volume slider UI instead allocates a separate volume "channel" for each program, and any program that tries to make global volume changes will instead only change it's own volume channel, not that of the entire system. Unfortunately, there's a limitation with this: if a program is doing output through a MIDI channel, any volume changes cannot be made independently of the rest of the program's volume. Rather, it affects the entire application. More on this in a moment.

When a cutscene is triggered, here's what happens on the audio front: Descent 2 first makes a call to "Fade Out" the current music track. It then specifically sets the MIDI volume to "0", effectively muting it. Finally, it runs the cutscene, and then sets the music volume back to whatever it was previously. Under XP, this works just fine, but under Vista, this process trips on Vista's inability to separate the MIDI volume channel with any other sound channel the game has open. As such, the call to set the MIDI volume to "0" actually causes the whole game to get muted - and as such, cutscenes play with no audio. You can see this first-hand if you open the volume adjustment UI in Vista while the game is running; you'll see the slider drop all the way to 0 in D2X-XL any time a movie plays (though for some reason, increasing this value by hand while the movie is already playing doesn't have any impact - I'm not sure why) - the volume then jumps right back up where it was when the cutscene is done.

Regardless, I've found a really easy workaround. If you go into midi.cpp in the source code, jump to the DigiStopCurrentSong () method, and comment out the two calls to "DigiFadeOutMusic ()" and "DigiSetMidiVolume (0)", the problem will no longer happen because the game will not be tinkering with the MIDI volume settings when it needs to stop a track. What's interesting is that commenting out these lines has no negative impact that I've found; after doing this, all cutscenes in the game *seem* to play just fine, and don't have any of the previous music track playing over top. This seems to indicate that the two calls aren't really necessary (and in the example of Vista, are causing small problems), but someone far more familiar with the inner-workings of the code may want to comment on this. That's why I'm posting this, actually :)

There's also an explanation for why Kamex saw improved behavior when he started renaming the game folder; Vista "remembers" the volume settings for each application. In addition to muting the MIDI channel when a cutscene is triggered, Descent 2 for some reason also makes a call to mute this channel when it gracefully terminates (you can observe this by watching the Vista volume slider while quitting the game). I could never figure out why none of the cutscenes in the game would work except for the intro (and even then, only sometimes) until I realized this; because the game doesn't reset the proper volume based on stored configuration data until *after* the intro movie has played, it will always be muted in future laucnhes unless Vista 'forgets' D2X-XL's past volume settings. As such, renaming the game folder probably contributed to this. I'm grateful you went to the effort to post this information Kamex, as this was what set me on the right path to discovering the true cause of this issue.

Basically, the symptom happens because Descent 2 is muting its MIDI settings at a whole bunch of different points (starting movie playback, "escaping" a mine, exiting the game, etc), which in Vista causes the entire game to get muted instead - and because Vista remembers this setting, you end up in a loop where cutscene audio never seems to play properly. Because of the nature of this issue, it's a fairly sure bet this will impact anybody and everybody trying to run D2X-XL on Vista, so I'm hoping this post provides some insight in the future for anybody else who encounters this issue.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:17 am

Thanks for the info.

I haven't looked into this for quit a while, but D2X-XL has to turn off midi at a couple of occasions. Fading music only serves to make it appear and disappear less off a sudden.

Your hints may help me to relieve the problem for Vista users, but no promises.
Straint

Postby Straint » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:27 pm

No problem, hope this helps. :) Thanks also for your amazing work on the code, as it has rekindled my interest in Descent 2.
Lucky

Postby Lucky » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:50 pm

THANK YOU DIEDEL!!!!! :laola:

There were two things I have been waiting for: the movie sound and the redbook music to work and you fixed both with one update. The redbook music was one of the things I most remembered when I played Descent II as a little kid, and it finally works.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:53 pm

Redbook often simply doesn't work because D2X-XL looks on the wrong drive for it (drive can be specified in d2x.ini). Maybe this doesn't apply for you, but generally spoken.
Straint

Postby Straint » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:42 am

Very nice Karx - the new 104 build fixes this quite effectively. The only other feedback I have is that it might be useful to add a specific note about the new fade toggle to the FAQ and the fade toggle's F1 help, just specifying that this is useful for fixing problems with no sound occurring in videos (as the current notes don't mention this). That way anyone else running into the issue should find an easy solution for it without having to dig around or create redundant threads about it.

Thanks for the quick turn-around on this!
kudos

Postby kudos » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:22 pm

Sorry to be a noob AND resurrect an old topic, but I'm trying to solve this same problem following Straint's advice. I've downloaded the source code using Tortoise, but... now that I have it... I don't know what to do with it. After I've made the prescribed changes, how do I 'compile' it? Make it into an executable? Or whatever you have to do?
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:41 pm

Compilation does make it into an executable, yes. You need a compiler to do that - I'm not sure which ones will work with the D2X-XL source but MSVC++ Express, MinGW and Cygwin are fairly popular under Windows. Assuming that's what you're looking for.

I imagine Diedel can tell you more...

Return to “D2X-XL Help”