Costom sounds and music work for D2X-XL... on VISTA!!!

Install & setup problems, application questions and other nasty things ;)

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Select a countermeasure

Poll ended at Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:01 pm

Gunboy
33%
Chaff
No votes
Proximity Mine
No votes
Smart Mine
33%
Seeker Mine
17%
Bouncing Betty
17%

Total votes: 6
PhoenixManX-XL

Costom sounds and music work for D2X-XL... on VISTA!!!

Postby PhoenixManX-XL » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:01 pm

Hey, everyone, waz' up?
I just wanted to say I've been a fan of Decsent in its entirety for over 12 years.
I even bought Descent 1 & 2: The Definitive Collection, and just recently obtained d3 from one of my old friends from college.
I love Descent more than any of my other games--I even upgraded to D2X-XL!!
However, since upgrading to Vista, and losing all my created levels on my old Windows 95 computer with no way to extract them, I had lost all hope for custom anything on d2x-xl. Yet I found a way to change all that--well, the custom sound and music part, anyway. (My Win95 computer cold only transfer information through the use of Floppy Disks, which are now obsolete...)

In my d2x-xl subdirectory I have 2 folders for hi-res sounds: "sounds1" and "sounds2." Using HOGVIEW for D3, I extracted some WAV files for use with Descent2 and with a Bit Rate converter, I changed them to 22KHz sounds. I placed the custom sounds in a seperate folder called "thed3soundfolder," and move them to "sounds1" when I so desire. I even went crazy and imported sounds from Sonic the Hedgehog into the game ('cause my best friend likes Sonic, and I got him interested in Descent as well). Using the free MP3/WMA/OGG/WAV converter link provided on this site, I took the program and even made some custom OGG files, most of which are Descent (some are from other Sonic games, as you might've guessed).

Anyway, the problem: Every time I changed either the intro, briefing, or credit songs, or the song playlist, I got absolutely no sound OR music in any of my levels (or even the game itself). So I went and opened the d2x.ini file to find the problem. Everything was okay: I had all the right switches -sdl_mixer 1, -hires_sounds 1, and the switches for the songs themselves, as well as the songs in the playlist leading to their correct paths. I just couldn't figure it out!

So, here's what I did to fix the problem: I opened d2x-xl.exe with Notepad and upon scrolling down, I saw a list of command switches used by the game, as well as some not used by the game at all! One of those unused switches was the "-menusong" switch. I thought to myself, "Hey! This switch isn't used by the game at all! So, what's it doing here?" (Note: my version of D2X-XL is, and was at this time, 1.12.44; so it doesn't use the new Windows programming code. And no, I didn't edit the EXE file: I only looked at it.) So I did a little experiment: I opened up d2x.ini & changed the switch -introsong <filename> to -menusong <same filename>, thus "reseting" the ini file. I figured that the ini file was still looking for the old OGG file, but was directed to the new one, thus the reason why it wouldn't play a thing at all. After changing the ini file, I started my game, then immediately quit out of it after it finished booting up. I could tell that the ini file "reset" because it wasn't playing the OGG file, yet the original HMP file used by the game. Then, I changed the switch -menusong back to -introsong and voila, everything worked--even my custom sound effects!

For those of you who have Vista, and had a similar problem with custom sounds and music, hth.
Anyway, I am proud to be on this site!
This Phoenix has risen back from the ashes. (Glad I still remember my old password! XD)

--Avatar made by InvaderShade1094 of deviantART, all credits © to her (except for Sar the Tailbot, who is © to me).
The original picture is here ==> http://invadershade1094.deviantart.com/ ... -172792820
Please check it out :')

also, when you send me an invitation on MSN, don't forget to attach a message! ;D
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:12 pm

I tried it. It didn't work.

BTW - if you've made some single-player levels, I'd love to check them out.
PhoenixManX-XL

Postby PhoenixManX-XL » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:01 pm

*sigh* I guess it only works on certain systems...
I walked my friend through the steps required and he couldn't get custom sounds and music to work either!
Plus, whenever I enter a secret level, the OGG files won't play for that level, only the MIDI files will. Then, once I leave the secret level, I can't hear sound OR music, even when I reload the game. I have to return to the ini file and change -introsong back to -menusong, reload the game, and then--well, you know. I have to do that every time I change just ONE FREAKIN' MUSIC FILE PATH! :rant: And I shouldn't have to.

I didn't encounter that problem with the XP computers at CSN; surprisingly enough, the OGG files played just fine!

Solution: Make a version of D2X-XL compatible with Vista. (I hope that'll be soon... 'cause Microsoft announced that they stopped selling XP and by January 2009 XP will be permanent history.) :rage:

...And no, I haven't made any single player levels (yet). But, I have created a fast-paced 2-player anarchy level, Aqua Dome.
I challenged my friend on this level--he loved it! I used features of d2x-xl, such as water segments, an alternating switch, the ability to use Triple Fusion with the 2 Fusion Cannons included in this level, and a few other features as well. Although I can't name them all at once...

I'm actually planning a 4-level demo of my new single player mission, but I'm gonna need to draft it out first.
The actual mission itself will come to about 20 levels long, yet as I don't know how the level structure will turn out, I do know what the objective of each level will be. But, :ot: that's for another forum and this isn't the place for me to brag about my plans for future levels. This forum is about help.

And, seeing how I am still encountering such problems, even I am in doubt. Is there anyone who knows about Vista more than I and can help me--and eveyone else who has this problem--with custom sounds and music? (Although now I'll have to change the subject of this topic--else, no one will help us and they'll think we have everything under control.)

In short: I am seriously fed up with Vista. I want XP, but they just don't sell it anymore--and D2X-XL may work on Vista, but it's certainly not functional to its fullest extent. "You can get anything to run on Vista--" yeah, right, whatever. :roll:
This Phoenix has risen back from the ashes. (Glad I still remember my old password! XD)

--Avatar made by InvaderShade1094 of deviantART, all credits © to her (except for Sar the Tailbot, who is © to me).

The original picture is here ==> http://invadershade1094.deviantart.com/ ... -172792820

also, when you send me an invitation on MSN, don't forget to attach a message! ;D
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:50 pm

Given the generosity of most of the D2X-XL users, I will hardly ever purchase Vista plus the required hardware.
blarget#

Postby blarget# » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:36 pm

vista is a crashing failer, my dad wasted money on vista ultamate.
blarget#

Postby blarget# » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:37 pm

plz dont make fun of my bad spelling. i haven't been in school for ever.

use the edit button. karx
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:44 am

Hey phoenix, the demand for windows XP is still pretty big, even after June 30th

It is still up for sale at various online stores, I know a local one here In NZ has products still. Where have you looked so far? Ebay? TradeMe?
PhoenixManX-XL

Postby PhoenixManX-XL » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:20 pm

Hey, don't get me wrong, I know they still have XP. And, I do know where to find it.

The only problem with getting it is that my laptop--yeah, that's right, my LAPTOP--made me start with Vista, that's the OS that came with my laptop when I first got it at the time... and that's why I am stuck with it. I don't want to go back to XP because I'm afraid that downgrading from Vista will cause problems--but then, if I don't downgrade, I'll be stuck with this crappy excuse for an OS that can "run 'anything.'" I'm d***ed if I do, and d***ed if I don't, basically. :?

But, I can still run D2X-XL fine without the OGGs; I just thought it would be cool to use different music. 8)
Some levels I play even have custom HMP files built-in, so it's fun to see the music that others come up with!
I still use custom sounds--they work fine, no questions asked! :wink:

Ex: The four-claw bot's sound I replaced with the Stinger's "RbtSecSirenD.wav," so every time there's a clawing robot in my vicinity it'll go
"ARRROWWIIIIIIIINNNN!"--minus the Homing Missile rapid-fire and the "RbtStingerAttack.wav." Still, I've come up with some interesting sounds for use in my game! Too bad my bit rate converter was a 15-day trial that expired... midas well go find another one... :roll:

Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

custom sounds

Postby Frustikus » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:00 pm

Hi there,

once again: If you have good new sounds (not protected by copyrights), upload them and give me the download link. As you might know... I am working on new custom sounds for d2.
Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 3420 MHz and standard voltage with Sonic Tower Rev.2, Geforce GTX 260 (896 MB), Asus P5Q Deluxe, 6 GB GSkill DDR2-1066, 2x500 GB Seagate @ Raid 0, Soundblaster XFi, Sharkoon Rebel12 Case, Teufel Concept Magnum 5:1, Samsung 2494 SW , Genius Navigator 535, Logitech Wingman FF, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Return to “D2X-XL Help”