"Memory Access Violation" at startup

Install & setup problems, application questions and other nasty things ;)

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Sykes

"Memory Access Violation" at startup

Postby Sykes » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:51 am

Ok, so I got D2X-XL on my computer, and it worked perfectly, I'm even playing it now, but I tried to put it on my brother's computer, and my laptop, (OS does not matter, as one runs XP, the other runs Vista) and it does not work. I uninstalled and reinstalled everything, as well as installed both the .NET framework and the 2008 C++ Redistributable thing. I also ran the win16 binary, and with "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)" compatibility, and the same thing happens.

The window opens up, loads for a second, and then crashes immediately with the default Windows error (you should know what I'm talking about. It just crashes and tells you the program stopped working). I used -printlog and this is what I got:

D2X-XL 1.13.127
Loading text resources
Loading main hog file
found hogP file 'd2x.hog'
found hogP file 'd2x-xl.hog'
found hogP file 'extra.hog'
found hogP file 'descent.hog'
Reading configuration file
configuration file (descent.cfg) looks messed up.
Initializing graphics
initializing SDL
initializing internal texture list
allocating screen buffer
initializing OpenGL window
setting OpenGL attributes
setting SDL_GL_RED_SIZE to 8 succeeded
setting SDL_GL_GREEN_SIZE to 8 succeeded
setting SDL_GL_BLUE_SIZE to 8 succeeded
setting SDL_GL_ALPHA_SIZE to 8 succeeded
setting SDL_GL_BUFFER_SIZE to 32 succeeded
setting SDL_GL_STENCIL_SIZE to 8 succeeded
setting SDL_GL_ACCUM_RED_SIZE to 5 succeeded
setting SDL_GL_ACCUM_GREEN_SIZE to 5 succeeded
setting SDL_GL_ACCUM_BLUE_SIZE to 5 succeeded
setting SDL_GL_ACCUM_ALPHA_SIZE to 5 succeeded
setting SDL_GL_DOUBLEBUFFER to 1 succeeded
setting SDL video mode (640x480x32, windowed)
SDL suggests 32 bits/pixel
initializing OpenGL view port
initializing OpenGL screen mode
initializing OpenGL extensions
No shaders available
No rendering to texture available
Initializing render buffers
SDL suggests 32 bits/pixel
Loading default palette
Initializing game fonts
Setting screen mode
Showing loading screen
Memory access violation

There was a post about this before, I think, but it was deserted and the original thread owner did not give as much information as I did. I really hope some of you can help me out here, I'd like an answer as soon as possible! I'm going to host a LAN party soon and I'd love this to be fixed before then.

Also, after reading through other's posts, I noticed many of them were mostly clueless in at least one or two areas that were required. To be clear, I have read through the installation instructions, and the FAQ very clearly. I'm also very experienced with Windows, and computers in general, so I know what I'm doing and you can ask me complicated questions, and I will answer. I will honestly say that I am not experienced with Open GL though. I think the only thing I left out is my computer specs, but I trust that it's good enough to run the game, as my brother's higher end computer has the same error.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:38 am

Have you tried running 1.13.126? Pumo provided a link here: http://www.descent2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8990#8990
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

memory access violation

Postby Frustikus » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:52 am

karx11erx wrote: may have found the reason why some people get the memory access fault after D2X-XL has been loading the models when starting a level. Yay again for my C++ array class....

and
karx11erx wrote: I have downloaded a good free memory leak detection tool for MS Visual C today and will test v1.14 with it, and I still have to complete testing multiplayer functionality (tracker detection works now for the game host, and hosting games works, too - that far I have come). Once this is done, I will release 1.14, so adeste and prepare for Descent, all ye lab rats. ;)

I think d2x-xl V1.14 will solve your problems. But you can try o l d e r versions of d2x-xl with the computers that got into trouble running the V1.13.127. I suggest V1.12.48 if 1.13.126 won´t fix the problem.
Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 3420 MHz and standard voltage with Sonic Tower Rev.2, Geforce GTX 260 (896 MB), Asus P5Q Deluxe, 6 GB GSkill DDR2-1066, 2x500 GB Seagate @ Raid 0, Soundblaster XFi, Sharkoon Rebel12 Case, Teufel Concept Magnum 5:1, Samsung 2494 SW , Genius Navigator 535, Logitech Wingman FF, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:11 am

1.14 might be buggy for a few releases, so it never hurts to have something as a backup.
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

Re: "Memory Access Violation" at startup

Postby Frustikus » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:26 am

Sykes wrote:
D2X-XL 1.13.127
Loading text resources
Loading main hog file
found hogP file 'd2x.hog'
found hogP file 'd2x-xl.hog'
found hogP file 'extra.hog'
found hogP file 'descent.hog'
Reading configuration file
configuration file (descent.cfg) looks messed up.

UHHH ?!
Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 3420 MHz and standard voltage with Sonic Tower Rev.2, Geforce GTX 260 (896 MB), Asus P5Q Deluxe, 6 GB GSkill DDR2-1066, 2x500 GB Seagate @ Raid 0, Soundblaster XFi, Sharkoon Rebel12 Case, Teufel Concept Magnum 5:1, Samsung 2494 SW , Genius Navigator 535, Logitech Wingman FF, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sykes

Postby Sykes » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:24 pm

Hmm, I didn't catch the part about Descent.cfg being messed up. I bet I forgot to replace it once I installed Descent 2 again (I began by copying my DLX-XL copy from one computer to the next). Thank you all for the advice! I'm looking forward to 1.14!

Return to “D2X-XL Help”