New mission in the works.

All about modding, mapping and modeling for D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Ben K

New mission in the works.

Postby Ben K » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:30 am

I have a few months to spare on this one. With some assistance from Sirius on the technical side of things I'm planning a 6-level set that makes a considerable departure from standard D2.

It's going to be XL-only: I need many of the features currently supported by XL and maybe a few more that aren't (yet). Will have to wait and see on those.
Visually, it'll be nearly a complete overhaul. The levels will be detailed to D3 standard. Robots will be fully custom and textured; I could use this set to showcase a 3D cockpit as well.
The gameplay is going to be significantly different. I'm opting for something brutal and unforgiving: there are no powerups. If possible, the player will be given a standard loadout at the beginning of each level; if not I'll have to work something out. Similarly, I'm hoping to ditch extra lives. Don't worry, I'm going to keep the robots sensible so you can complete it like this.
The missions will be varied but may not be particularly long. Might look at a multiplayer anarchy / flag / entropy set to support this, but it's not a priority at this stage.
Some scripting and voiceovers for objectives would be nice, but I'm aware these aren't currently supported by D2X-XL. I'll keep this realistic.
I'm setting timeframes for this project. Right now I'm building the level shells, with an ultimate goal of one a week. Hope to have that done by the end of April, and ultimately I'd like to release in around September. That's extremely subject to change, depending on the intricacies of the process.

I've currently got about 20% of the geometry for level 1 complete. That I'm looking to complete in the next week.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:32 am

Ben,

you will get every feature you need from me as long as it's feasible in a half way decent amount of time (have almost killing me with v1.14 and this beta - last two nights were the first with 7+ h sleep per night for quite a while).
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:04 am

Very glad to know about a new D2X-XL mission on the works!

This may sound strange, but this reminds of a weird experience i had:

About a year ago, i had a dream of a final version of D2X-XL coming along with a new mind-blowing mission from Darkhorse!!

That's truly a weird coincidence! :shock:
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i3 2120 3.30 GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: HP 2311 23" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:48 am

You dream about me? I'm... slightly worried.

That said, I have had the odd few dreams about talking to people I've never met before.

Anyway, Diedel, there are two features that immediately come to mind that I'd like to use.

The first is a trigger for a text or audio event. There's a few ways I could use it to get the desired result, but basically I'm looking at objectives and voice instructions as in Descent 3. Some of the things you'll have to do in these levels may not be very obvious on their own.

The second is static objects, possibly doors and levers. Static objects would be particularly nice because I'd like to have an area where you have to blow up a few pillars, and the only other way I can think of is making them all reactors. Furthermore, it'd be great for intricate little props that would be hard to build using cubes.
Doors... well, consider that a wishlist thing. I can work without them and I suspect it'd be a *lot* of work to make that happen.

It'll be a little while before I get to this phase, but I'm just discussing what I can think of in advance so I can get an idea of what can happen and what can't.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:03 am

There are already sound and text triggers, and you can make an object completely passive - won't animate either though (though I could change that).
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:01 am

Hehe. Cool.

Do the sound triggers work for music as well?
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:49 pm

Don't think so, but shouldn't be hard to add.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:39 am

You are limited to ~180 unique object models still, right?

Depending what DH has planned he may well be able to get away with it though. (I should note polygon-accurate collisions would be a necessity with certain, especially larger, static objects.)
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:20 am

Won't need more than that. I don't plan to build entire levels out of statics, just some props like trees and levers.
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:54 am

i'm sorry that i interfere here. But its interesting of what you guys think about the SKY BOX idea. Or are you going to model your trees out of cubes insideout?
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:02 am

High-res polymodels... like robots.
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:25 am

Sirius wrote:High-res polymodels... like robots.

yup but i figured he said trees as well..So i guess he will make them - but out of what - thats a question.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:34 am

I could easily expand DLE-XP to allow an arbitrary number of objects. D2X-XL currently supports 500.
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:14 pm

If I use trees, they will be objects. They won't be part of the level made from cubes.
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:05 pm

Ben K wrote:If I use trees, they will be objects. They won't be part of the level made from cubes.

aha. So like 1st - it means that we can await a certain ability(passive doodads) available in dleXp and d2x-xl??

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”