17%
It'll have to do.
No votes
It took a year to make this?
8%

Total votes: 12
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:22 am

Descent 1 is understandable. Rebirth... I guess it's just a case of "we want levels that work with rebirth to work with D1 classic" - or something.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:46 am

Finally finished with it. For such small levels they sure take some time to finish... (mostly because of robot count of course!)

Highlights were definitely the "big rooms" and seeing what kind of theme it followed. There were standout levels here and there all over the place, but especially towards the end; the fortress and command post levels are pretty cool for Descent levels.
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:21 pm

thanks Sirius, that means a lot. This was sort of the vision I had in mind when starting up Enemy within. Was big themed room ideas and building a level around that. It kinda got off track which is why I chose to take off the vignettes moniker and tack on the enemy within title to the project. Because it turned into something more. But I truly feel this level set is 'really' fun to play through.
Irontower

Postby Irontower » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:48 pm

Back from vacation that's what I need now :D

Awesome levelset, many thanks !!!
:omg:
blarget#

Postby blarget# » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:54 pm

i played through the 1st level then my computer crashed(my com sucks) and i really liked the style of the level.

BTW im glad there are girls still entrusted in descent(not alot out there.)
CH-3

Postby CH-3 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:25 am

Yeap, I'm one of them...

Well Wolfie, i already played five levels and i think that they are very nice, i like the new style of yours.
It's impressive what you made even with D1's few cube limit. :thumb:
Sapphire Wolf

Postby Sapphire Wolf » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:50 am

So far so good, DFW!
I've beaten the entire level set without cheats, and on hotshot (but unfortunitely due to it's brutality, I have to use built in equipment)
And I did die and gain a few lives alot
(maybe my x52's ready to break... JK)
My Deviant Art account-
http://sapphirewolf3057.deviantart.com

specs for Teletraan:
Brand- Custom Built
Processor- Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
RAM- 16 GB
Video- NVidia GeForce GTX 760
Sound- Realtek HD Audio
Hard Drive- 1 TB
OS- Windows 7 (64 bits) Professional

Who can I argue with cool things, Mech-Poké-Form-Troid-Robo-Glasses-Nerd-Fortress-Portal
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:27 am

There is some confusion about testing Descent 1 levels (applies for Descent 2 levels too) for other Descent versions than D2X-XL.

Here's a simple way to do it (apart from running D2X-XL in nostalgia mode).

In the render options menu, chose "basic lighting" and turn all colored lighting off. This will give you the exact lighting method that is used in other Descent versions.

Now setup DLE-XP to call D2X-XL directly from it (you just need to enter the D2X-XL path). Once you've done that, you can invoke D2X-XL from inside DLE-XP at any time, and it wil load the level you're editing and place you in it right away, skipping all menus and stuff.

Pretty easy, right? :)
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:24 pm

I just played through the entire vignettes set with the quake 1 mod turned on (new robots and all) and WHEW! It made things 10x tougher! Those new robots are mean and the final level is insane! LOL It was great fun though!
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:21 pm

Wolfie,

can you please make all mission file names (hog, msn, mn2) completely lowercase? The Linux crowd will thank you for it.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:49 pm

That reminds me of how sourceforge.net is case-sensitive. It took me about an hour of mostly banging my head against the wall before I realised that the reason it never ever worked when I typed the URL in rather than searching for it was because it's not "D2X-XL", it's "d2x-xl".

waaaaaaaaaaagh
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:41 am

karx11erx wrote:Wolfie,

can you please make all mission file names (hog, msn, mn2) completely lowercase? The Linux crowd will thank you for it.

Done, redownload.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:46 am

I had renamed them locally already, no big deal. Just informing you for the future. :)
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:46 pm

Anyway, there is also some confusion as to how to get the weapons in the supply cache behind the reactor in secret level 1, well, here's the solution:
You CAN'T get those power-ups as long as the reactor is active and in working condition. Blow up the reactor and then look towards the doors to the left and right of the exit door just below the reactor. You can access that cache area from there. But you have roughly 45 seconds to get anything you need and want from there and still exit out alive. So you may want to save before blowing reactor and keep reloading and exploring until you found the perfect route through the supply cache to get the main 'prime' items and exit. Because there is NO WAY you can get every single item in that supply cache before the mine explodes. So you need to pick and choose the best items to get in the time alotted. Cool?
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:54 pm

I was wondering about that. :) Didn't save/reload though, mainly because I wasn't too desperate for the megas.

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”