Dimensional Intersect [FINAL 1.4]

All about modding, mapping and modeling for D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Yokelassence

Dimensional Intersect [FINAL 1.4]

Postby Yokelassence » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:34 pm

The Dimensional Intersect is a level designed to exploit new D2X-XL features, test every aspect of your skill, break the size record and take a whole new approach on missions. You can freely choose the order in which you play the levels and every level will see you trying something different.

New Version: Shield drain bug fixed

7-Zip: dinter-1.4.7z via descent2.de (fast)

7-Zip: dinter-1.4.7z via mediafire (slow)

Heres is an extract from the Readme:

Readme.txt wrote:COMPATABILITY
===============

To make this mission work you need two things:

D2X-XL: A source port of Descent 2 that introduces enough features to make it
almost Descent 3. This mission is designed to use those features so get the
latest version of D2X-XL from www.descent2.de. It just tastes better.

Please note that the mission requires D2X-XL version 1.15.75 or higher

Descent2: Vertigo: The official expansion set to Descent 2 which you may still
find online. The robots from the Vertigo expansion set are used in this mission.

---Performance note---
This mission ran fine on a PC using a Radeon HD4850 but if you have low-end
hardware you will probably have problems.

If so...

You should not need to drop some effects or screen resolution but you may need
to disable hi-res textures or models to improve loading time. Per-Pixel lighting with
high lightmap quality will also take a looooooooong time. Either set lightmap quality to
low or use per-vertex lighting.

The automap will also bring your computer to its knees, use wireframe view to fix that
problem.

Overview
===================================

The Dimentional Intersect is a circular lobby of portals, each taking you to a very
different environment. There are 9 worlds in total that you can choose from and you
may tackle them in any order you like. Each world has ranging difficulties, different
strategies, different "wildlife" and a boss at each end.

Only when you destroy the world-specific boss will you be able to leave the world
and enter another. Each boss destroyed opens one of the 9 locks leading to biggest,
nastiest boss of them all.

Features
====================================

An entire 10 level mission packed into one.

A central "lobby" that lets you choose the order you wish the play the missions in.

Usage of available D2X-XL effects anywhere applicable. Sounds included.

Usage of available cube and trigger types to introduce new game mechanisms.

Distinct themes and outdoor environments, traps, puzzles and battlefields

Usage of all available D2 robots, each one has been revised to give each robot a
unique role/behavior or specific theme. Even scoring has been adjusted so that the
score earned per robot is more relative to the robots toughness.

Screenshots:

Special thanks to Pumo and Irontower for the textures, and future thanks to anyone who can help with suggestions and improvements 8)
Last edited by Yokelassence on Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:17 am, edited 20 times in total.
-Core i5 4690 3.5Ghz--GTX 1070 8GB--16GB DDR3 800--Z97 Extreme4--512GB SSD/2TB HDD--Zalman Z11 case-

Old PC that no longer turns on. May it R.I.P:
-Core 2 Duo E8500 3.2Ghz--HD4850 512MB--4GB DDR2-800--Gigabyte EP45-DS3L--640GB Storage--Antec 300 Case-
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:39 pm

Holy ... :drool: !

I am very interested in testing it.
Kaizerwolf

Postby Kaizerwolf » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:48 pm

:clap: I will definitely test this!
What if, in 30 years, you're considered for the highest office in the land and get denied because some sneak found that misspelled post of yours about how "Nickledon" sucked and ruins your political career by exposing it?- poxpower
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:01 pm

crap, picture #8 with the lava and pillars is similar to something I have going in Azaran Zodiark. Now I gotta delete the room and think of something else. Looks great btw.
Irontower

Postby Irontower » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:15 pm

Test test test test test test :rock:
Planet Orange Citizen

Postby Planet Orange Citizen » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:11 pm

Wow this looks freakin awesome. Hope you release it soon.
ASUS G73JH
Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Core i7 720QM
6GB DDR3 RAM
500 GB RAM 7200 RPM
ATI Radeon HD 5870
3D Audio with EAX Advanced HD 4.0
17.3 Inch Screen
Webcam and Microphone
Backlit Keyboard
Wireless LAN b/g/n

Go Suns!!!

"To God be the Glory".
-Greg Jennings
Super Bowl XLV
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:31 am

darkflamewolf wrote:crap, picture #8 with the lava and pillars is similar to something I have going in Azaran Zodiark. Now I gotta delete the room and think of something else. Looks great btw.

I wouldn't worry about it, pillars are not my intellectual property ;)

Download link is up, I hope the cache files will work. I have not tested those.
-Core i5 4690 3.5Ghz--GTX 1070 8GB--16GB DDR3 800--Z97 Extreme4--512GB SSD/2TB HDD--Zalman Z11 case-

-Core 2 Duo E8500 3.2Ghz--HD4850 512MB--4GB DDR2-800--Gigabyte EP45-DS3L--640GB Storage--Antec 300 Case-
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:00 pm

There are tons of texture misalignments across the board, I can't count them all, but nothing a quick 'align children' won't fix easily.
Sucks though that I have to wait 5 mins or so every time I want to reload my saved game if I make a mistake.

EDIT: Just finished the Desert as my first level. Nice job, simplistic, but gets the job done. I like the nasty trick you pulled for the boss. I was expecting an easy fight. Nice! Although I still think you could have realized a 'desert' a bit more thoroughly than you did though.
Kaizerwolf

Postby Kaizerwolf » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:28 pm

Stuck in the city at the moment, either at the top floor or the one below it. I can't figure out how to get out! (If it helps any, the hallways had those D1 concussion platforms, only they were white and fired more.)

Also, those mega missile/earthshaker bot spawns need to deal a bit less damage. In most cases, you can't get far enough away from them. Especially in the lava area, they are hard to hit, and in most cases you need to be close to get them. I had full shields before fighting 3 of them, and was down to low/blinking shield bar when I was done with them. Not too great, imo.
What if, in 30 years, you're considered for the highest office in the land and get denied because some sneak found that misspelled post of yours about how "Nickledon" sucked and ruins your political career by exposing it?- poxpower
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:46 pm

First of all I like the general idea very much.

The execution of the central nexus is very nicely done: The dimensions together with the edgy, simple structures (hexa/octagonal tunnels) makes it look very techy and impressive, like you're inside a huge technical installation or spaceship.

I played on hotshot.

I found Volcano not hard, but rather simple. Nice design as far as I could see.

Desert was tricky at times, but not hard. Again I liked the architecture, and I was satisfied with the overall simplistic look - it somehow manages to look really cool and alien. Very nice tubeworks.

Didn't notice any texture alignments. Load times for savegames were very short for me too (but hey, doesn't Wolfie *always* have problems with her machine? :P)

Rest to follow.
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:25 pm

DFW wrote:There are tons of texture misalignments across the board, I can't count them all, but nothing a quick 'align children' won't fix easily.

Bugger, where!? I thought I got them all :wallbash: :wallbash:

Kaizerwolf wrote:Stuck in the city at the moment, either at the top floor or the one below it. I can't figure out how to get out! (If it helps any, the hallways had those D1 concussion platforms, only they were white and fired more.)

Sounds like your on the 3rd tier in that level. Just kill the sidearm there and progress up the shaft to continue just like in the last 2 tiers.

However sometimes the automatic doors stop working, often locking the sidearm away. Its a bug and I am not sure what the problem is.

Also the City has some robot placement issues, those Class 2 platforms need to be shifted away from entrances. Will fix.

Kaizerwolf wrote:Also, those mega missile/earthshaker bot spawns need to deal a bit less damage. In most cases, you can't get far enough away from them. Especially in the lava area, they are hard to hit, and in most cases you need to be close to get them. I had full shields before fighting 3 of them, and was down to low/blinking shield bar when I was done with them. Not too great, imo.

You mean the MAX's? They have powerful ordinance but they are flimsy and weak, if you are quick you can Gauss them before they fire. 2 Homing missiles is also enough. There are plenty of homers in that area.

Anyway, I found several bugs already:
-2 boss robots erroneously set themselves to E-drain.
-In The Glacier the doors to the boss chamber don't unlock on both sides (make sure you jam those doors open with a marker)
-The City did not possess my latest changes.

I can have those fixed asap.

Some bugs I don't know how to fix:
-Sometimes the automated doors in The City stop operating when you die.
-Some cubes in the 4th tier in The City lack proper clipping
-Bubbles appear elongated

Kaizerwolf

Postby Kaizerwolf » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:02 am

On the 3rd city area, there is no Sidearm. In the room where I am assuming it is located, there are 3 of those D1 bots that fire 4 white lasers.
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:35 am

The Sidearms are randomly shifted around at the start of the game. It could just be in another room nearby. Unless one of the reposition locations is Narnia or something.

Kaizerwolf

Postby Kaizerwolf » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:35 am

Hehe, alright, I restarted anyway, i couldn't find the Sidearm.

Anyway, what I meant before is the little mega missile spawns from that Brown-ish Smelter. They do way to much damage from a long range.

Areas completed;
The Desert; Nice job on this. I really enjoyed it, and for some reason, it reminds me of Jabba's Palace from Star Wars. Nice twist on the boss to! No errors to report.
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:06 am

Oh the robotic mega missiles? (Split pods actually) Yea those things are my most frightening creation. Usually its better to just throw a homing missile at them and run. I might reduce their spawn count

OK now for those sidearms; open up the mission in DLE-XP, can you answer these questions?

-Is there a sidearm in cube 5635, 5619 and 5611? Any missing?

-Does each sidearm have a teleport trigger assigned to them? Should be object triggers: 63, 64 and 65

-Do the targets of those triggers lead to valid cubes?

Everything looks fine on my side, I find the Sidearms where they should be. So I want to know if yours is different.

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”