"Wolf" textures (progress thread.)

All about modding, mapping and modeling for D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

-JoFFa-

"Wolf" textures (progress thread.)

Postby -JoFFa- » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:51 am

A really not so long time ago in a galaxy just behind your window...

A mysterious person named MetalBeast have
created the ultimate heavy weapon called WOLF.
The model creation been revealed on the forums.
and the final model been complete.

Other users rejoice in anticipation of the release of
the final version of secret weapon.

Little did they know that a Karx approached -JoFFa-
using PM with the offer that cannot be denied.

To create a textures for the upcoming release of the
ever heavy design of ship for Descent called WOLF...

When this task will be completed it will mean certain
increase of happiness for a rather small community
observing the D2X-Xl project and its progress..;)

ImageImageImageImage
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:46 am

Oh. Dear MB and Karx. I request permission to alter vertex coordinates slightly to provide better symmetry of the parts of the ship and add several faces to strengthen the details. Thus providing the possibility of completion of the final view of the ship in accordance with the sketches provided.

Please! It will be beautiful i promise..:)
Last edited by -JoFFa- on Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

Postby Frustikus » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:02 am

Hi JoFFa,

very good drafts of the texturing, indeed.
Two things:
1. I am glad you being involved in texturing the Hammerhead ;-).
2. If you want to add details to the Wolf by editing the mesh, you should have the max. number of faces (polygons) in your mind. The wolf is already near the limit of a playable number of polygons. And you are right to ask for permission to edit the mesh.
Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 3420 MHz and standard voltage with Sonic Tower Rev.2, Geforce GTX 260 (896 MB), Asus P5Q Deluxe, 6 GB GSkill DDR2-1066, 2x500 GB Seagate @ Raid 0, Soundblaster XFi, Sharkoon Rebel12 Case, Teufel Concept Magnum 5:1, Samsung 2494 SW , Genius Navigator 535, Logitech Wingman FF, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:12 am

To slightly edit..:)))
MetalBeast

Postby MetalBeast » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:23 am

Hi Joffa,

do whatever you want with the "Wolf"-model, as long, as you give me credits for the source-mesh and follow these few rules:

1. If you give the model to the public, the archive must contain a readme-file (I will create an example-file).
You should give me credits for the source-mesh.

2. The model can not be used for any commerzial use or in other public projects without my permission.

3. the UVW-maps must be/stay modding-friendly.

If you need the max/obj/3ds source-file, just let me know.

Greetings, MB
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:37 am

Ok.:)BTW was it based on my concept or not?
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

Postby Frustikus » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi JoFFa,

the idea, the wolf is based on, comes from a sketch from you which I modified. But during development the model turns into a different ship (Karx and MBs design) which benefits from MBs and Karx ideas. No one will think, that the wolf is based on your drafts when he compares the sketches with the "final" model. The changes here are much bigger as they have been with Phantom XL and your concepts of it.
Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 3420 MHz and standard voltage with Sonic Tower Rev.2, Geforce GTX 260 (896 MB), Asus P5Q Deluxe, 6 GB GSkill DDR2-1066, 2x500 GB Seagate @ Raid 0, Soundblaster XFi, Sharkoon Rebel12 Case, Teufel Concept Magnum 5:1, Samsung 2494 SW , Genius Navigator 535, Logitech Wingman FF, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:42 pm

Does it look anywhere close to your concept?
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:39 pm

Ok - then "inspired by" how's that huh? ;)

Think i can credit myself as a "conceptual artist"...
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

Postby Frustikus » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:48 pm

I didn´t know that we are working on models just because of personal fame :P
I was thinking :think: we do it, because we want to make the game more exciting and to bring more variety to it :wink: .
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:24 pm

I did not. Yet Mb told that i have to put him in credits. And i'm trying to figure it out for myself what will i write in read.me file ..;)
MetalBeast

Postby MetalBeast » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:31 pm

Here is a example, how a readme file should be created:

Code: Select all

"Wolf" 3D model for D2X-XL
============================================================================================
Author Information
============================================================================================
Author: MetalBeast
Email Address: M3talB3ast@gmx.net

Designed by Karx and MetalBeast
Inspired by -Joffa-

File Information
Title: Wolf
File Name: wolf_whatever_version.zip
File Size: xx,x Mb

==================================================================
# Credits: #
==================================================================
Thx to Diedel for making D2X-XL

Additional Credits:
- All the people at descent2.de forum.
- Joffa for all the Ship Sketches
- and of course to the makers of great descent games: Parallax, Interplay

=========================================================================
Installation/Setup Information
=========================================================================

-------------
Requirements: newest D2X-XL version
-------------

-------------
Installation: unpack the files to your d2x-xl-models folder
-------------

----------
Problems: not bugfixed beta version
----------
Construction Information

Build Time: do not know, years ? :D

Known Bugs: not known
            report any bugs to M3talB3ast@gmx.net

############################################################################################

Copyright / Permissions

THIS FILE IS NOT MADE, DISTRIBUTED, OR SUPPORTED BY INTERPLAY ENTERTAINMENT
COMPANY OR PARALAX SOFTWARE.

You MAY distribute this file, provided you include this file, with
no modifications.  You may distribute this file in any electronic
format (BBS, Diskette, CD, etc) as long as you include this file
intact, with NO charge (other than incidental charges for time spent on-line).

Using any content of this file for other projects (especially comercial use)
is NOT ALLOWED without permission of the author(s).

All original Descent files are copyright by Interplay & Parallax companies.

@Karx: In the download-file for Phantom, there is no readme-file inside. Please fix it.

@Frusti: The readme file is not meant for personal fame, it's for making clear rules, how the files can be used and what is the kind of using licence. It means, it prevents your work from be used where you do not want it (commercial projects, etc.). It also save the rights of the original DESCENT authors.
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

Postby Frustikus » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:01 pm

MetalBeast wrote: @Frusti: The readme file is not meant for personal fame, it's for making clear rules, how the files can be used and what is the kind of using licence. It means, it prevents your work from be used where you do not want it (commercial projects, etc.). It also save the rights of the original DESCENT authors.

My statement wasn´t meant to offend you. It is pretty clear that you and Karx designed the model and that you built it. Because of the different final shape there was no need to give credits to JoFFa.

In german:
Metalbeast, mein Hinweis galt ausschlielich Joffa. Es ist vollkommen klar, wer den Wolf entworfen und gebaut hat. Die Idee mag aufrund Joffas Entwurf geboren sein, das finale Outfit ist aber ausschließlich auf deine und Karx´s Arbeit zurückzuführen. Daher halte ich eine Erwähnung von Joffas Beitrag für unnötig, da das finale Modell wenig mit seinem Entwurf gemein hat. Mehr wollte ich nicht sagen. Es ist vollkommen legitim, wenn Du in einem Readme gewürditg werden willst, schließlich hast du das Ding gebaut und maßgeblich mitentworfen. Mein vorheriges Statement zieht das nicht in Zweifel.
Also Friede hier ;-). Wer wäre ich, deine Verdienste in Zweifel zu ziehen ?!
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:21 pm

Vor allem MBs Arbeit. Ich habe nur ein bisschen beigesteuert. Ich habe auch kein Problem damit, wenn sich jemand mit guten Modellen auch einen Namen machen will. Wer was kann, muss sich nicht immer so klein machen, dass er selbst mit Hut noch unterm Teppich durchlaufen kann ohne eine Welle zu werfen, damit nur ja keine Neidnaturen mit dem Finger auf ihn zeigen. ;)

@MB: Erledigt.
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:36 pm

wee thanks a lot! You not only cleared things out for me - you've actually placed all needed info here.
I'l just attach it to a pack and will send you for approval when i finish.

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”