Year of the Tiger

All about modding, mapping and modeling for D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Sirius

Re: Year of the Tiger

Postby Sirius » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:59 am

Very nearly done at last. I guess now would be a good time to show how much has changed...
Before: Image After: Image

Before: Image After: Image

And a couple new pictures...
The (in)famous steps:
Another room:
(Credit to Ben K for the tiger statue)
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:33 am

Very very cool. You could put the tiger in a blocked segment to avoid collision problems.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:00 pm

I have a question - given this is an anarchy level, should I add weapons, or tell people to use D2X-XL's built-in equipment feature? I guess it depends whether you think the ancient art of searching for powerups is an important part of the game.

P.S. This is a question to any readers, not just to Diedel.
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:47 am

Add them. Makes less confusion for those who don't read readme files. ;)
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED
Malgus

Postby Malgus » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:39 am

Hi to all, i'm new to this forum. I want to say that tiger in a level looks very cool - its clear that its a model and i do not get it - if it is - then it wont be seen in an anarchy game unless its robo-anarchy right?
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:55 am

Static objects appear in all modes.

I have a counter-question on the built-in weapons. Can you set defaults for the level? If so, skip the powerups. If not, perhaps you should be able to. ;)
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:16 pm

That's true. Should probably make sure you can play with and without ... and leave the "nix weapons, use pre-equipped loadout" handling to XL itself so it can be used with existing levels.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:11 am

Sirius,

I have worked a lot to make collisions with static objects work, but the issue is too complicated. I have therefore created a variant of your level replacing most object based geometry with regular geometry in player accessible areas. You can find it here: http://www.descent2.de/files/missions/3 ... yott-dm.7z. I haven't aligned and textured everything I have changed, and some shapes or structure sizes may need to be worked over. The huge mushroom shaped "altar" was too much to rebuild with segments in the current stage of that level variant. Take a look at it and let me know whether you can live with building the level that way.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:51 am

Thanks... this must have taken a huge amount of work. There are some things that pretty much can't be fixed well though, those corner pillars where the dome joins the adjacent portico being one of the worst such examples. I'm not really even sure what to do about them - they are in a blocked-off segment at least, but that doesn't stop them causing collision problems. They're also one of the easiest to hit, unlike the columns on the opposite side which are easier to replace. Usually.

Anything you can recommend? Maybe there's a workaround somewhere, e.g. it could ignore collisions entirely? Well, I guess that won't look great if someone shoots at it... without an even hackier workaround - weapons collide but players don't... and I just fudge that with blocked cubes/transparent walls.

It should be possible to clear out all the problem objects from the player-accessible regions, at least. I'm thinking the energy centre platform can be replaced if the surrounding area is reworked to use a radial pattern which can be more easily split into inner and outer parts - it'll use 2-3x the cubes but it isn't too horrible to get to work. Have you done all you're planning to with the level though? I ought to work out which textures need adjusting if so.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:49 am

Those corner pillars could be replaced, too. I just couldn't be bothered to do it. What I have done so far has indeed been quite an amount of work.

The collision problems aren't owed to the pillars, but to the advanced physics. You cannot rotate the ship if that would lead to a collision, so getting close to a wall may give the impression of being stuck. Awww, I would need to rewrite the entire engine to make this work properly, and this is just too much for me. This really is a bottomless pit. It would better port to another engine than to sink more work in an engine and code that just have been stretched far beyond its limits already.

Shots are less of a problem - collisions of player ships with irregular shapes like the long pillars are. As I said, it would be a rather big effort to fix that. Btw, I have removed all walls you have used to block off inaccessible areas, replacing them by blocking those segments. This both saves you walls and makes sure multiplayer equipment (guns, missiles) won't spawn where they cannot be reached (that is a property of blocked segments).
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:06 pm

I have just had an idea how to fix the collision problem, and it seems to work. You can try it yourself and give me feedback whether and how well it works after I have published v.235.

Btw, make sure to give your static objects a strength of 0.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:11 pm

Yeah, I was going to do that anyway. Blocked segments are a much better approach now that you mention it.

P.S. Oh, I see it's already out - I'm in a bit of a hurry at the moment but I'll check this out when I get back home tonight.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:04 am

Still seems to stick somehow like the ship is running into glue, but no ramming noise. That is an improvement overall though. Maybe the best bet will be to use geometry for the "problem" bits (most of which are already covered, just those square pillars up top left) and keep the static objects to non-reachable areas wherever possible.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:52 pm

Before my last fix, the problem wasn't that the ship stuck, but that it could move through geometry objects at certain angles and positions.
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:56 pm

Although a bit off-topic, I just made some static objects tests with .235 and I'm like: :omg:

With the new improved collisions and 0 strength objects that acts like level geometry, this totally opens new doors to level design! This is starting to be more and more like a modern game. :D

Now the only thing left, is Bumb Mapping, Specularity, Detail textures, Reflection and Refraction effects, Heat waves, Fog, etc. :P (j/k).

Indeed this is a great advance. :) (now I have new ideas for my levels, using static meshes).

-

And back to topic:
@sirius: this level looks gorgeous! I still don't know how you manage to came out with those masterpieces, structure-wise. I want your autograph! lol

Seriously, I can say your levels are some of the inspiration I get as level designer (along with levels by Kruel, Diedel, Darkhorse, Darkflamewolf and Yokelassence).
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”