Year of the Tiger

All about modding, mapping and modeling for D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: Year of the Tiger

Postby karx11erx » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:32 pm

YOTT - mixed (The geometry objects here have strength 0 already - I have changed DLE-XP to allow setting an object type's strength to 0).

Btw, with the hitbox collision handling from v.236 you may want to take another look into the original version of your level. While ships will not slide along walls when hitting them perpendicular to the wall (which actually would be physically incorrect), the correctly stop and bounce off geometry objects now (all within the limits of cuboid hitboxes, so in terms of a collision a pillar with a round cross section actually has a rectangular one).
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:20 pm

I figured it was lighting... I think I'm using 24-bit TGAs for pretty much everything, polymodel textures and level textures. As you observed though, the lighting for these objects is subtly different so it might appear a bit more grey.

P.S. Yes, I'm seeing the bouncing. You can still stick if you run straight into something, but the objects are a lot easier not to get caught on now.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:24 am

Just about done with the fixing, and the level really does seem to work a lot better with the adjustments. Checking on a weird visual effect before I call it done though.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:25 am

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:14 am

There is a pillar at the bottom end of the narrow staircase blocking it - is that intentional? It's a geometry object. Previously there was a stone panel at the ceiling. In the old level version, you had placed a modded Spider Spawn there, now it's a B'per Clone.

There is another flaw in the level: You should mark all inaccessible segments as blocked, not just those you could access these through. Otherwise powerups may spawn in inaccessible level areas.

Apart from that the level is just gorgeous, marvellous, a masterpiece! :thumb:
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:56 am

I changed some of the model numbers to avoid replacing cloaked robots - those were some of the affected ones. You might have to replace the mods\yearoftt folder maybe?

P.S. Really, I changed a few more than I had to ... but oh well, this only happens once I guess. It seems to be OK in my copy of the level.

P.P.S. ... ! Yes, that is a good point... little work-item for me then :)
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:11 am

Well, looks like I messed something up here. Too many versions of YOTT on my computer, I guess ... :roll:
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:22 am

Yeah, there was that. :oops: And yet another one in the next day or two, but at least that won't need to change the /mods/ stuff.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:53 am

I have already blocked all those segments. Is there anything else to do?

If not, I'd put that version in an archive, plus lightmaps I have computed for the level, and post a nice feature on my website. :)

Edit: My son's comment when he first saw the lion statue in the level: "Funny dog!" :lolol:
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:54 pm

haha :) Well, barring orange and black stripes, I guess you can't convince 'em all. Sure, that and lightmaps sounds like a great idea actually - I tried running that but for some reason my machine was choking so badly on anything higher than "Basic" that I didn't have the patience to continue. I don't think there's anything else that needs to be done with the level.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:43 pm

Oh yeah, it's "Year of the Tiger" ... :oops:

Sorry, it rather looks like a female lion than a tiger ... :roll:

:lolol:

If I had named the level, I'd have called it "Demon Forge". That's what it looks like to me, with that deserted temple close to a volcano's crater. "Anvil Of God" wouldn't be bad either ...

Edit:

After looking at the tiger for quite a while I have decided that it is indeed a lioness. Tiger heads are quite different from the one modeled in the level. Sorry. :D

I think we need to rename the level to "Year Of The Lion". :mrgreen:

Ummm ... you wouldn't agree to "Year Of The (Funny) Dog", would you? :roll:

Edit 2:

Here is the link to the feature: http://www.descent2.de/sirius.html#yott

Sirius

Postby Sirius » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:04 am

Perhaps it does more resemble a lioness. Hmm. I'm not going to complain about it, though. Thanks for the spotlight and the outside screenshot, it's pretty cool. :)
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:43 pm

now let's hope it gets the attention it deserves, like Minerva did. But probably not, sadly.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:04 pm

Yeah, I don't think this is going to be played as much as Minerva. I figure some will take a look in single-player, and if we're lucky, someone might set a game up at some point - but all in all there's just not a lot of D2X-XL multiplayer going on at the moment. If that changes, then maybe...

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”