Static objects as geometry replacement

All about modding, mapping and modeling for D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Malgus

Static objects as geometry replacement

Postby Malgus » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:08 pm

Ben K wrote:Static objects appear in all modes.

Whats a static object? Is it a reactor like but passive? How to enable it? How many static objects can be in a level?
I have not found any info on this forum about them(only static lighting - i use search.) And in worklog - of DLE-XP and D2X-xl there is no static object reference. Is this screens from a game or from maya? And i like a glow effect and a sky behinf the mountain with lava - is it a skybox?
Alter-Fox

Re: Year of the Tiger

Postby Alter-Fox » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:56 pm

It's a robot with AI mode set to 'static' I believe.
Only D2X-XL supported.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
Malgus

Postby Malgus » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:21 pm

so its a robot but static and therefore seen in anarchy game type?
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:51 am

Alter-Fox is correct - you just pick the "Static" AI option and you're done.

Because static objects are basically robots, you can have
1) As many static objects in a level as you can have robots (in D2X-XL, this is a lot - thousands I think)
2) As many unique kinds of static objects as D2 has types of robots (somewhere around 70 I think).

To make these, you basically just have to make a custom model that looks like part of the level rather than a moving robot - you can use tools like Polytron for this, but you can also make them in a 3d model program of your choice and convert them to .ASE format. D2X-XL can load these directly (the details on how this works can be found on descent2.de).

I have not confirmed that they appear in the Anarchy game mode. They might or might not (obviously I hope they do in this case :)). There is a flag I saw in DLE-XP that might do this though...

The screenshots are taken from within D2X-XL (I did disable the HUD, that was all though). I actually had lightmaps turned off to reduce loading time between iterations, so it would probably look a little better on higher quality settings. The background is indeed a skybox - it isn't practical to do much of that without one.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:47 am

I'm calling this a beta release for now, since there are still some things that don't work perfectly, and the level might need updates to fix them once they're better understood. But there doesn't seem to be anything else I need to do to it for the time being... so I might as well let people see it.

This is more an experimental/proof-of-concept/architectural level than a functional anarchy level; you can try to play it but it's very easy to get caught on things, so I make no warranty that it'd be particularly fun for that.

Download link (alternative formats may be provided in future): http://www.povterminal.net/files/levels/d2/yearoftt.7z
Malgus

Postby Malgus » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:54 am

I like it.:) I'm currently experimenting with custom models. Do you know a way to use animated textures on them?
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:12 am

Yes. D2X-XL allows you to use an image higher than it is wide for those. Each square 'stack' of pixels, top down, is interpreted as a frame in the animation.

I haven't actually tried to do this on an object yet, but I'm guessing it works the same.

The other option is to overwrite a standard D2 animation of the same number of frames in length, but there are only a small number of animations to overwrite.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:14 am

After having had a look into the mission I have to say that while it looks great, it doesn't work very well. I highly recommend rebuilding it, using regular geometry for all those pillars. As it is now, lighting doesn't work well with the static object based geometry, and collisions may end up with getting stuck in such an object. The Descent engine just isn't suitable for what you are doing there.
Malgus

Postby Malgus » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:22 pm

Ben K wrote:I haven't actually tried to do this on an object yet, but I'm guessing it works the same.

You "guessed" wrong.
Tried to put "tiger" as a reactor model and apply a door texture to it. - shows all frames as a static texture.

But if applying texture of a "standard" water to a "standard" reactor - frames are shown and animation plays but much slower then original and with low frame rate.

That is unfortunate.
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:31 pm

The reactor might be hard-coded to play frames slower.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:32 pm

I am not sure D2X-XL will play hires animations for poly models.
Malgus

Postby Malgus » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:19 am

Nope.

1. Tried apply door texture to hires model.

Shows all frames.

2. Tried to apply animated door texture to a model in dle-xp - applying the texture to the hires model - don't work. It seems either use the model from game - then it can be "wall" textured, either using hires then its have to be textures applied to it. So "camouflage" hires models - so far seems to be not implemented in DLE-XP and D2X-Xl respectively.
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:33 pm

There is one standard reactor model in D2 that does use a flowing water texture. And most of the reactor models do use other animated textures as well.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:52 pm

Also the lo-res robot models with animated eyes uses animated textures.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
Malgus

Postby Malgus » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:51 pm

I was talking about hires. Low res is out of the problem.

If model is lowres.

then i can apply an animation- low res texture of the wall to it, then it will be animated but slow frame rate.

If its hires model.

Then i have to apply a texture to it in a 3d modelling program. and put it to the folder with all models.

And if the texture is no animation then it will be just fine but if not - then there is a problem - cause instead of animation - all frames of the texture are shown on a model.

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”