Neo Neptune - Multiplayer Level

All about modding, mapping and modeling for D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

darkflamewolf

Neo Neptune - Multiplayer Level

Postby darkflamewolf » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:21 am

Seeing as Neptune is really the only popular level being played these days. I wanted to rebuild it from scratch so that it at least looks pretty! Only took 1 day to make!
New weapons added to the original loadout:
- 1 more Spreadfire
- 1 Proximity Bomb Pack
- 1 single Homing Missile
Special Thanks to Descent Freak for inspiring me to come back to the Descent Building Realm once more.
Known Bugs: The energy boost graphic is messed up, just ignore it. The Plasma Cannon is upside down, just ignore it.

Download Link: http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=395

Now go out there and start destroying each other!!!

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHf5yUXB ... ature=plcp
ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by darkflamewolf on Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
DescentFreak

Re: Neo Neptune - Multiplayer Level

Postby DescentFreak » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:14 am

I helped beta test with DarkFlameWolf on this level,it was fun,i can happily admit,this is they best multiplayer level that I have ever played!!
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:38 am

Nice. Hope it sees some play.
If it doesn't... well that would just not be fair :P.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:19 am

We can hope! Anyhoo, I even included a CTF play mode into the level, which wasn't there previously. The blue goal is in the smaller energy center flanked by two doors. The red goal is in the bigger energy center flanked by two doors. You can easily get from one to the other and each goal has two routes to get to it. I wonder how a CTF would actually play, who knows?! Oh and since I enabled CTF, Hoard should probably work too...
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:08 am

Nice! It's way to bright though, imho. Too many lights. The problem are the walls bearing "empty - light" textures. You can decrease the brightness of that texture with DLE-XP. This will work for both D2X-XL and other Descent versions, since the latter use the precomputed lighting from the level editor, and DLE-XP will use the decreased light value for lighting precalculation. To light up the sky a bit, assign a low brightness value to its texture (3% - 7%). This again will work with all Descent versions.

Edit:

Here is a link to a fixed/improved/whatever version of the level: http://www.descent2.de/files/missions/3 ... neptune.7z
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:22 am

you sure like to modify my levels, don't you Diedel? :P
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:27 am

You couldn't leave it like it was, and usually your levels are good enough to warrant it.

I still find the texturing rather gruesome, but oh well ... :roll:
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:56 pm

well the original neptune wasn't much better. So at least I kept it true to the source in that aspect.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:40 pm

So I could say now that you stopped halfway on your mission to improve it, right? ;)

Maybe I'll do a neo neppi XL with some cool D3 textures and some extra fx. Business as usual regarding your levels so to speak. :mrgreen:

Edit:

Fixed an old DLE-XP bug that surfaced when converting the level.
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:24 pm

Would it be wrong of me, as the designer, (or at least the one who re-envisioned the original design) to request you not do that and just leave it like it is? Thank you. ^_^
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:35 pm

You could have said "thank you". Instead you chose to feel offended (once again).

Your level is too bright. There is a simple fix for it, which I applied. While being solid and sometimes quite creative designs, your levels generally very often lack the last 5 or 10 percent of polish that they would need (like fixing geometry distortions or lighting). If you were a more constructive person, you would welcome someone appreciating your works enough to do that polish for you, and I never took any honor from you for that.

You are a prime example of a what we call "beratungsresistent" (~ "counsel resistant") in German.

Btw, this is not a totally new level of yours. It's just a level made by someone else than you which you modified yourself, because it - as you have stated yourself - could be improved by you. What you did is no different from what I did. Well, actually I did less - I just fixed your failures in the level. So what do you want?
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:19 pm

modified? no. I built from scratch using existing design. And I am not offended at all. I was simply making a request. It seems you got offended as the assumption of me being offended, which I was not (And am not now). It takes a LOT to really get me mad/angry/frustrated and I am nowhere near that level. So we could go like this :argue: all day, but it won't help anything. I'm just glad people like the level, polish or no, and are having a good time in it. (had a great time with 4 other players the other night in it! It was a blast!)

But for the record, I just uploaded a new version on DMDB with darker lighting. So it looks...more atmospheric.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:58 pm

So what? It's Neptune's layout and dimensions, built from scratch or not.

I am not offended. I just think you are wasting my time (and yours) with this.

I really cannot understand the fuss you are making about it.

Your level got me interested enough to fire up D2X-XL to take a look at it after months of abstinence, and to launch DLE-XP and play around with it, and even offer a fix.

Seeing your level of appreciation for what I consider a small collaborative effort on my side to help improve your product, I will return to the way more significant real life stuff I have been doing lately without any regret.
Sykes

Postby Sykes » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:33 pm

Personally, I think this is really awesome. I'm a big fan of Neptune, and this new look is really, really cool. Would this be able to get added to the complete map pack?
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:45 am

What is the 'complete map pack?'
Honestly, this level was built to be almost throw-away. It was something to get my hands back into the level design aspect of Descent. I have made a few more levels after this one that probably deserve to be included more so than this one. But that's just my opinion, but thanks for the kind words.

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”