Rangers oriented D2 level - Castle de le Meurte

All about modding, mapping and modeling for D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

darkflamewolf

Rangers oriented D2 level - Castle de le Meurte

Postby darkflamewolf » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:09 pm

I made this level specifically in response to what I learned about what types of levels the Rangers like to play AND the weapon load-outs for such levels. So I did my best to build my level within those constraints and their rules and after a game of 4 people tonight, it was an absolute blast! Hopefully it'll be played on tourneys or whatnot.
Level Description:
Seeing as how people tend to go for flatter, boxier, smaller levels in general. I decided to take my hand at making one but with at least 'some' detail so it looks pretty while you are playing in it. By far, this is the shortest level build time I've done, clocking in at around 4 hours!

http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=412

screenshots forthcoming... :P

There is now even a video of the level in action with four players! (note: I did NOT make this video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7G-90-1Jbo
Last edited by darkflamewolf on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: Rangers oriented D2 level - Castle de le Meurte

Postby karx11erx » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:55 pm

I am asking myself why people keep playing levels after the same primitive formula stemming from the first days of custom Descent level design. Maybe nostalgia?
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:14 pm

I made this level really as a personal experiment. Infernal Cavern/Damned Warehouse, as amazing as those are and as fun as those are playing in them, it seems Castle de le Meurte is getting far more play and positive comments. Why? Because its probably harkening back to those days of old where design was all around neptune/minerva/nysa and others. I mean just download Toeboy's Toy Box and that is actually one of the more popular levels being played and its.....barely anything! I just don't get it myself.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:58 pm

This wasn't targetted at you, but at the people playing the same age old levels (or levels following the same age old design ideas).

It's not your fault other and better levels aren't adopted by them.

Edit:

Sheesh, I will start to print D2X-XL in D2X-XL screenshots too just for the publicity effect.

Edit 2: Well, "Castle de le Muerte" is more of "2D in 3D", i.e. the 3D-ishness is nothing more than a few flat level areas stacked on top of each other. Again, this is not against you - it's against those claiming to be the true "3D gaming elite" when all they really do is to duke it out in more or less 2D environments. :)
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:05 am

http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=471

Final conversion to Descent 1 of my recent batch of levels. With 4 new quality Descent 1 levels for people to play in, hopefully they'll be a surge of Descent 1 games now! ha ha :P

special note to Diedel: :nospam:
Damned Warehouse was the only other one that 'could' be translated over to D1, but I cannot, for the live of me, find proper D1 textures to make it look decent... :-/ So I chose not to do it.

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”