All about modding, mapping and modeling for D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Hawkins
Location: /Universe/Milky-way/Sol/Earth/Europe/Greece/Athens/~

The Small Pardon Collider (SPC)

Postby Hawkins » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:52 am

Small Pardon Collider
http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=437
This level's vast space facilitates the use of Elite Earthshaker missiles (Gengi's original idea, introduced to me by Blarget2). Many thanks to Blarget2 for helping me with the *.ham. This map is dedicated to my friends and shakerlovers (:P) Gengi and Obiwan Kenobi.

Elite Earthshaker missiles
This particular type contains a heavier ordinance, that deploys 8 independent standard Earthshaker Missiles upon impact, leading to eventually spawning a total of 64 Earthshaker homing children. Deadlier but longer to make a hit. Once you get a hint of one fired, you have more time to take cover in the disks. Also, in the vast space, if not taken by surprise, you can evade all 64 of them out right. Depends on whether the 8 shakers hit walls at the same time or not. Like the manual says: "Treat with respect!" (or be destroyed :P)
2nd tier Reactor-based retrofitted gunnery
Utilising Reactor technology, the second tier PTMC standard issue primary weapons for the Pyro-GX have improved performance inside the radioactive environment of the SPC.
  • Gauss (improved rail) cannon:
    The improved rail can propel shrapnel 24.5 times heavier (2 rounds per clip (625 use of ammo)) at 5 times terminal velocity than standard issue Gauss cannon. It deals almost full hull damage and recoil double that of a Mega missile, in the direction of the impacting projectile. The condensation of the rounds make them more unstable, hence the increased collateral damage of the projectile.
  • Helix cannon:
    With the barrel shielding, this weapon wields five Reactor neutron shots instead, that deal slightly more damage, but are slightly slower than standard issue Helix cannon.
  • Phoenix cannon:
    Replacing standard issue Phoenix's plasma heat technology with Reactor fusion technology allows for increase firepower, sacrificing the standard issue's ability to repel condensed plasma off walls.
  • Omega cannon:
    Thanks to increased output from a miniaturized Reactor, the omega beam can reach and home in a range tenfold that of the standard issue Omega cannon. It also deals slightly more damage.
Smart mines also use fused ordinance, but their function, as much as their properties, remain the same.

This in this level you can distinctify to separate (game-wise) areas: the main reactor* (big room, not Descent Reactor; picture 1, on the left) and the accelerator (the ring around the reactor).
The main hall
The main hall is the link to all the surrounding plates that support they accelerator. The plates' walls serve as quick cover from the modified earthshaker missiles, considering their delay in triggering. In this vast space actually, the shakers take a lot of time to travel through the level and back again (second tier shakers), but... so do you. :P
The accelerator
You can actually fly inside the accelerator (it is also the fuel centre, picture 2), with entry points (picture 3) every forth plate. There are two hints as to where the entry points are; an obvious and a seem-less one. The obvious one washes out after a while in-game. :P

IMPORTANT!!!
This map was not originally indented for release, but it plays good with those shakers. Has been tested to play good with 4 players. While the space prompts for 8, it might get a bit laser one fight, as the powerups will re-spawn in the plates, so you have to search them one by one usually. :P
Easter egg
There is a second level in the *.hog pack. It's practically the same level but slightly different.* You 'll see. :P

*You can only access the second level via multiplayer, since these levels don't have a Reactor. They are indented for multiplayer anyways... There's an XL version of the level coming, called the "Large Pardon Collider". THAT is probably not gonna be playeable, but why the heck not? :)

Picture 1: The Small Pardon Collider from the outside:

Picture 2: The Small Pardon Collider from the inside:

Picture 3: Inside one of the plates containing an entry point to the accelerator:
Last edited by Hawkins on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gigabyte® GA-X48-DQ6
Intel® Core 2™ Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz
ATi(AMD®) Radeon™ HD4870
darkflamewolf

Re: The Small Pardon Collider (SPC)

Postby darkflamewolf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:06 am

Not really my cup of tea. But great achievement and should tickle the fancies of the shaker crowd for sure!
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:46 am

You can also access the 2nd level with the "freespace" cheat.
Hawkins

Postby Hawkins » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:41 pm

Thanks darkflamewolf. It means a universe-lot to hear that from you. :)
@karx: screenshots fixed; they load fast now.
Gigabyte® GA-X48-DQ6
ATi(AMD®) Radeon™ HD4870
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:12 pm

Absolutely cool level, I love it! :thumb:

The weapon mods are impressive. With D2X-XL's sounds the Gauss gun produces a crashing, echoing thunder with each impact.

With a D2X-XL version of the level you could make the accelerator tube a real accelerator by turning it into a speed boost.

Two gorgeous D2X-XL made screenshots:

I wonder how it would look with Descent 3 textures ... ? :roll: Maybe like this:

Hawkins

Postby Hawkins » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:56 pm

!!!!!!!!
Wholy pepperoni!!! The original looks AWESOMESAUCE! You almost pick the right D3 textures; the white strips, I indented them to be different, more like the impression the original texture gives. But I get your point. :P That gives me great motivation for building the Large Pardon Collider. With some high-res textures and XL properties.

Man, I wish I could run XL like that. Will go and optimize my XL options thoroughly ASAP. I need to try SPC like this for myself.* :) I humbly have to admit it's wholy something else playing Descent like this.

Thanx for the screenies karx, will go add them up asap. Maybe make my own, if I can achieve some good lighting and fidelity on my system.

*By the way, this level is heavy already by design. LPC will put my system (and most) to it's knees.
Gigabyte® GA-X48-DQ6
ATi(AMD®) Radeon™ HD4870
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:05 pm

Well, I can replace the purely white light texture with a hires version the one you had initially used (did that for the narrow accelerator tube).

I can also give you an archive with all my D3 textures.
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:08 pm

all hi res D3 textures yeah? :bounce:
Hawkins

Postby Hawkins » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:32 pm

The trick was to have a light that "grips" with metal on the bare rock. A "hinge" sort of.. (FYI)
The D3 texture archive will come in handy, that would be nice, thank you!
:cheers:
It will take time to build LPC though, especially as an XL level. (FYI again :P)
Gigabyte® GA-X48-DQ6
ATi(AMD®) Radeon™ HD4870
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:27 am

Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:30 am

That is sooooo sweet! :bounce:
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED
Hawkins

Postby Hawkins » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:53 am

Hmmm, interesting idea with entrenching the inter-space between the plates on the main pillar. It now not only looks better, but more natural. I'm gonna employ these characteristics (and more) on the next design. It still falls at around 4000 cubes so I have room for detail.

EDIT: Nice, texturies in the pack. They are good to start with.
:bounce:
Gigabyte® GA-X48-DQ6
ATi(AMD®) Radeon™ HD4870
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:04 am

I can post the modified level (XL version in a separate file) on my web server for you to download it if you want.

I don't know if you have ever taken a look at some of my levels, but I think I know a bit about level design and detail work. There are very good levels from DarkFlameWolf (take a look at Chaos Theory where I have done the D3 texturing), Sirius (Anthology, Year Of The Tiger), Yokelassence (The Sphere, Dimensional Intersect), Ben K (e.g. some levels in The Enemy Within) and AUS-RED-5 (Monsterball Arena) to look at and learn from, too. Kruel is a fabulous level author from the days when Descent was new with the capability to make very convincing and naturally looking structures with few segments and an incredible talent for texturing.
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:24 am

Yes I know, some of my more recent stuff sucks, right? :roll: :cheers:
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:45 am

Geez ... instead of taking the compliment, you are looking for an offense. :crazy: You have made a lot great levels (Chaos Theory e.g. is fantastic - that I did the D3 texturing for the XL version doesn't take a bit away from its structural excellence, which it owes solely to you) - I have only picked a few from everybody as example, leaving it to the auditory to search for more. I didn't even mention a particular level from Ben K. Now everybody could make wild guesses about why I didn't do so, and the answer might come as a bit of a surprise: Ben K constantly creates missions on such a high level that it is hard to pick a particular one. Imo he has a special talent for level building (including texturing) that is at least up to par with - maybe even greater than - Kruel's, who in my eyes was a genious in terms of Descent level creation. Ben's levels are always original and perfectly executed. (Too bad he has lost interest in building Descent levels).

On the other side - that has to be said, too - did you never take your time to plan and build a huge mission like Anthology or Dimensional Intersect, taking your time to meticulously get it where you envision it. Sure, you coordinated Vignettes and The Enemy Within, but you seemingly lack the patience and the stamina to create something equivalent to Antho or DI (or Boiling Point).

As far as I can see you are too muched geared towards a quick success and quick appraisal and acknowledgement. Imho that takes away from your potential.

Yes, I am critical, I am closely looking at every aspect of a level I can think of (or generally of anything), but that's the only way to achieve excellence (at least as far as it is within one's own capabilities and reach), and that's why you will hardly ever get unlimited praise from me. I think I can safely say that I am usually very constructive in my criticism and helpful for those who listen and are willing to take advice or pick from it what they find useful and applicable though. People who don't want that, but are only looking for praise may therefore have a problem with me, although I never intend my feedback to be personal or even offensive. People who are not aiming as high as I do better don't ask me for feedback, because they will probably don't like it and won't find it helpful.

You have no idea how long I have been playing around with Hawkins' SPC level. The texture alignment had to be fixed, and I worked through several variations of the central pillar - including one with windows and a huge lightning effect inside. And that wasn't even one of my own levels, or something that would probably ever make it into the public realm. If I've have had more time I'd even have given it more detailled structure. It was a simple exercise for Hawkins what his level could be with D2X-XL. This being said just to give an example of how I handle things.

So in regard of SPC there are very few levels made by you that would fulfill the requirements of size to be a good comparison.

A very nice map of yours was Forgotten Fortress (where - intent on the details as I can be - I still found a lot of small geometry and texturing glitches). Tearoom is a really cute, very well done and original map (I will feature it on my web site in the near future, which is always a sign of my special acknowledgement). Hive Of Despair may flow well, but the texturing hurts more than just my eyes ... sorry (green, dark yellow and brown - looks like someone has thrown up and the result has been splattered over the walls of the level). Fusion Farm? Another boxy, quake textured level with uninspired layout. Imo it also is too large. All in all a lame Kegparty remake. Infernal Cavern again is quite good. The texturing lacks consistency though (I told you about that via e-mail).

Imo your general problem is that your main incentive for building levels is your desire for attention and acknowledgement. That's why you keep building standard levels instead of exploiting the possibilities D2X-XL offers - from high resolution texturing over increased size and/or detail to effects - and which set a good D2X-XL levels worlds apart from anything that could be made for vanilla Descent.

As I said: If there were more attractive D2X-XL missions, more people would use D2X-XL, and in the end there'd also be more people to populate D2X-XL multiplayer games (so that's where we have reached now - but I'll stop here. :)).

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”