Swansong - Azure Catacombs

All about modding, mapping and modeling for D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

darkflamewolf

Swansong - Azure Catacombs

Postby darkflamewolf » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:22 am

This level was a joint venture between Sirius and I. I made the overall design structure and weapon load-out and basic texture decisions. Sirius then swooped in and custom-fitted the level to Descent 3 textures and made it look nice and pretty based upon the original texture decisions. There are two sets of hogs included in the zip file, one with the level with your standard 'set' of MP weapons with no real unfair standouts. The second hog has a brand new HAM file included inside that will only grant new weapons inside the level itself and no others. As a result, two Spreads were replaced with Helix, Three Plasmas were replaced with Phoenix, 3 Merc Missile packs were replaced with Concussion Packs, and one more Mega was added to the weapon specific version. Here is a run down of the weapon changes:
- Vulcan Cannon - Slightly slower in speed but visible shards now, uses less ammo but deals a little more damage.
- Gauss Cannon - More like a Mass Driver, it sucks up a huge chunk of ammo to shoot one shot every 2-3 seconds, but one shot is usually all you need to make the kill, aim well!
- Spreadfire Cannon - Changes to explosive energy-based missiles with some splash damage upon impact.
- Helix Cannon - Close-range flamethrower. Sucks energy like a parasite, but might be just the thing in close quarters to kill an enemy fast!
- Plasma Cannon - More like an EMD gun which homes in on all targets. The only downside? Each shots is extremely weak in power and sucks up energy.
- Phoenix Cannon - Faster, bouncier, more damage shots.
- Fusion Cannon - The Ultimate returns! Now with homing capabilities! Dodge this!
- Concussion Missiles - You can fire two at a time now.
- Flash Missiles - You can fire two at a time now.
- Homing Missiles - Less homing, but faster speed.
- Guided Missiles - Basically a guided smart, miss the target? That's fine, the homing blobs will hopefully do the job instead!
- Mercury Missiles - Upon impact, release randomly spreading concussion missiles, sort of like a Frag Missile.
- Smart Missile - Less homing qualities, but more damaging.
- Mega Missile - Like a Cyclone missile, its slow and ineffective at first, but has a nice blast radius and releases several homing missiles upon destruction.
- Earthshaker Missile - Impact Nuke, will kill anything within LOS, including you.
So your choice which version you want to try and which you'll end up liking! ;) I fear this may be the last level I'll create for a long while. So hopefully people like it. I worked real hard on it to make sure it flows smoothly and accomodates a lot of players! Enjoy everyone!

http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=441

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: Swansong - Azure Catacombs

Postby karx11erx » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:28 am

Whoa! Wolfie making structure and a good designer doing the texturing - imo the perfect team work!
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:30 am

Well technically, I still did the texturing, he just went in, looked at what I chose and tried to match it as best he could with Descent 3 textures. So he used mine as the template for how it should look. ;) But yes, good teamwork!
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:31 pm

So much the better.

This map makes most of my lengthy post about quality obsolete. :omg:

This is a top notch level regarding structure, texturing and lighting. One of the best I've ever seen. :clap:

Now do you want an XL version with true hires textures from me? :roll: I tried as hard as I could to stay true to the textures I found in the level. Bwaha! :P
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:36 pm

Sure, why not Diedel? But hold off for a moment, we are fixing some weapon issues with the descent2.ham in the azurewpns hog. Something about multi_damage values being sky high after editing said HAM with GX-Edit. So once we get that fixed, reupload the file back onto DMDB, have at it. Ha ha, not sure what else you'd do though... Its pretty awesome as is.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:03 pm

Low res bitmaps != awesomeness.

The map would look even better if the textures were hires.
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:11 pm

Well so odd, the spreadfire and plasma do damage just fine in Single player with robots. But when transferring that damage into multiplayer, it does no damage to any players. All other weapons work fine. No idea why. We've tried many things.

EDIT: Diedel, can you find someone to play with and see if spread/plasma deal any damage in MP for you?
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:59 pm

Sooner or later ...

Some "azure" high res texture awesomeness:

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:10 pm

Here's a link to a high res textured D2X-XL version of the level: Azure Catacombs XL

The level is spacious enough for 12 - 16 players and might lend itself very well for CTF+. I didn't add any spawn points or make them team-owned, but if you like the XL version I posted that might be a good idea.
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:41 pm

Almost looks like a D3 level! lol Very nice!
Also, I was thinking Diedel, you seemed to have set up pages for Sirius/Darkhorse and others where you handpicked their best creations and placed them in their specific creator pages in the level spotlight. You've already shown to like 3 or more of my MP levels and have spotlighted a few, why not combine them into one page under Darkflamewolf? Just asking ;)

Also, hopefully you can get around to finding out what's wrong with the HAM. Because if the spread and plasma do no damage in MP for you, then it isn't just a Rebirth issue, it is a complete Descent issue that will affect both projects. But if it does work, then XL wins and Rebirth has problems. :P
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:52 pm

I had thought of that already. I just need to find time for that.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:45 am

The custom weapons do not cause any problems in D2X-XL, but that is because D2X-XL resets all ship and weapon info to the Descent 2 default values in multiplayer games as a cheat protection measure.

One problem with your custom HAM file seems to be the multi_damage_scale value which is ~2.1 billion (0x7fffffff to be precise; so it looks like it's undefined). That's not the only one though - these guns don't do any damage in D2X-XL multiplayer, too (yet).

Edit: The reason of the guns failing lies within Descent's handling of direct shell impacts and splash damage. Descent will always try to do splash damage if a weapon has an explosion radius, and will not do direct damage even if no splash damage is dealt to an object directly hit. This is basically a design decision stemming from the original Descent code. Now you have obviously given a small explosion radius to Plasma and Spreadfire shots to make them cause splash damage. The explosion radius is so small that it will not affect a player ship the shell hits, yet Descent will not do any direct damage due to the (potential) splash damage it could cause.

Basically this is a bug in Descent. The question is whether and how to fix it. The best cure would probably be to fix the damage radii in your custom HAM file (make them something like ten or twenty times 65536). A physically more correct way would of course be to add direct and splash damage, but that would break the original Descent gameplay. Ideal, but difficult to implement might be to detect whether splash damage has been dealt to an object that has taken a direct hit, and if not, deal direct hit damage.
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:00 am

Okay, we are looking into it. But does that mean no custom weapons in XL? Even if its level specific as in only in the HOG itself? That's kind of poopy. :| But thanks for giving us another direction to look into the HAM with.
Hawkins
Location: /Universe/Milky-way/Sol/Earth/Europe/Greece/Athens/~

Postby Hawkins » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:04 am

[The problem is that all the other weapons have similar damage_radius values, as read with HAXMEDIT. So they wouldn't work either.][wrong! my bad, they did not have splash] Also when I fixed pyro values with GX-edit it messed my ham (maxed out the multi_damage_scale). I am guessing the same happened when the ham was created the first time around (we checked that too).

Anyways, it's most probably the multi_damage_scale you found wrong, because the weapons work all fine in single player. HAXMEDIT shows the right values for multi_damage_scale but they must be misplaced or sth in the ham file. I dunno really. I have edited those values up and down orders of magnitude with HAXMEDIT, and still nothing. Can you set those values right (or in the right place e.t.c.) karx?

EDIT: Nevermind D, you were right about the splash damage, though I still scratch my head over to why it would affect multiplayer only. So the testing says that if you are going to put a NON-zero value for damage_radius, it has to be at least 10.0 (times 65536) to actually get effect. If lower, it messes with the mutli_damage_scale perhaps or sth.
Last edited by Hawkins on Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte® GA-X48-DQ6
Intel® Core 2™ Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz
ATi(AMD®) Radeon™ HD4870
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:43 am

Disregard, we are actually making progress now. The spread/plasma do damage ,its now just a matter of fine-tuning the product.

EDIT:
For those who downloaded it once and like the new weapons, redownload again. All new weapons work fine now. Spread and Plasma have been fixed.

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”