Swansong - Azure Catacombs

All about modding, mapping and modeling for D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Sirius

Re: Swansong - Azure Catacombs

Postby Sirius » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:42 am

Yeah, it was frustrating trying to get some of those textures not to look like %^#& in a 256-color palette. I had to color-shift more than a few so that more detail would show up... and the water and moving bluey texture near the energy centre were especially hard to get right. Hi-res does things a lot more justice. Originally I got the textures from a mix of UT* and D3 - I think the D3 ones are more prominent though. Most of the UT stuff was the rock/ice/water I think - still had to butcher it a lot so it didn't look like nothing in 64x64 256-color. Ironically it's one of the best-looking levels I've seen that will run in D2 under DOSBox... it's just a pity that doesn't really mean much any more.

Also, it's funny that I took about 2 weeks to work on this and then Diedel comes along and essentially recreates it in a single day at most. :mrgreen:

Think XL supports custom weapons in multiplayer in the form of mods? It supports different ships in some manner or another at least. Or I could just be imagining things.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:31 am

Sirius,

yeah, that color palette stuff is a real PITA. I got most textures right from D3, a few ones are from Irontower's Descent 2 mods, and the water is from Pumo's Kartsal demo.

Would you be able to give me your UT* hires textures?

Hawkins,

I was asking myself why the splash damage problem wouldn't affect singleplayer, but I didn't bother to look into it. Player damage however has different handling than robot damage - if you only tested against robots that could be the reason.

A few problems with your custom weapons: The big missiles' thruster is composed of several faces. That looks very bad with D2X-XL's thruster flames. You should remodel it into one big polygon covering the entire thruster exhaust area. The single Mercury missiles look plain awful. When my son saw them he wondered what that is. lol.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:15 am

Sent. The ice ones were originally extremely hi-res, so they should look interesting...
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:16 pm

Wolfie,

I have updated the XL version of AC with a 16 player variant and dedicated team spawn points for CTF+. What you'd need to do if you want to publish that level too (which I hope you will) is to add more weapons to accomodate for the additional 8 players. That level would be a blast with 12 or more levels, anarchy or CTF. We should really see to get some games going in the near future.
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:01 pm

I'll leave it to you to add those new weapons. But if you are also editing the Azurewps hog as well (with the new weapons, don't forget to add more helix/phoenix cannons, a pack or two more smart mines, and another shaker/mega. Because the new weapon ham gives new qualities to those ones.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:22 pm

Ok, will do.

I have used ACAT WPS as base for ACAT XL (and added an option to D2X-XL to disable custom weapons).

I think that once I'm done you should add it to the DMDB, so you will be named as its author. Same goes for Chaos Theory XL.
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:46 pm

Thanks, and something for Chaos Theory XL, as an example, you remember the small inlaid ceiling lights in the center section of level 2, right? Well I've found out by players that its better to block those off and any other things or inlaid cubes that serve no other purpose than detail that players can get 'stuck on' when dogfighting. So blocking off detailed cubes would help ease players from getting stuck on geometry. Which is what i've been doing recently in levels with walls.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:55 pm

In D2X-XL levels you can simply use the segment attribute "blocked" to achieve the same effect - that's why I have removed such walls from ACAT XL. ;)
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Azure CATacombs XL - who said it can't be done?

Postby karx11erx » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:58 am

Underwater area (blocked):

Tube with lights worked into the cave wall:

Who said it can't be done?

Azure CATacombs XL with 16 player spawns and CTF+ support
Hawkins
Location: /Universe/Milky-way/Sol/Earth/Europe/Greece/Athens/~

Postby Hawkins » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:22 am

Will study that on DLE asap...
:arrow:

EDIT: WoW, that water looks so unrealish. Could we make it so that the ship does dive underwater, but adding some drag to the ship when flying underwater?
Gigabyte® GA-X48-DQ6
Intel® Core 2™ Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz
ATi(AMD®) Radeon™ HD4870
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:36 am

The original inspiration: Bill the Cat never allowed you to go underwater, why should this one? Its not part of the level itself, but more of eye candy. I'd prefer to keep it that way. Anyway, good work Diedel, but I see a texture inconsistency in the first shot with Shaft 133 sign :P
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:46 am

Hawkins,

D2X-XL provides some rudimentary underwater physics. But as Wolfie said, making the underwater areas accessible would change the level's gameplay, so I blocked it off.

You can however always just mark all water segments (medium blue in DLE-XP's wireframe view when you check "view special segments" in preferences dialog) and remove the "blocked" attribute from them to have a swim in there. ;) You don't need to exclusively mark the water cubes, but if you mark more, make sure you do not accidentally unmark any other blocked segments.

Wolfie,

yes, now as you post it I remember that one. The sign looks awful though (low res, I don't have a high res texture for it). I have just added another underwater light I had forgotten and will fix that texture too before uploading the next (and hopefully final) version of the level.

Edit:

New version is online.

Adding that tube with the lights was a major PITA. I made three or four attempts at it before I managed to get it as right as I could with Descent's segment engine. :sweat:

Edit 2:

Uploaded another update of the level, this time with a few sound effects added.
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:26 pm

darkflamewolf wrote:...Anyway, good work Diedel, but I see a texture inconsistency in the first shot with Shaft 133 sign :P

That's just for realism.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:33 pm

http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=470

And now we have a Descent 1 version for those who like Descent 1 purity! I also included (finally) a robot-anarchy version for those crazy Descenters who actually like that style of play! Enjoy!
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:00 pm

Oh Diedel....it looks amazing....I like what you did with the underwater section of the facility structures...but the actual cave floor itself beneath the water is TOO flat. It completely contrasts the awesome awkward/pointy cave walls of the rest of the cave. I was thinking more of uneven ground beneath the water. But meh... :P

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”