Pseudo-fullscreen cockpit

All about modding, mapping and modeling for D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

lambdatorus

Pseudo-fullscreen cockpit

Postby lambdatorus » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:20 am

Hi,

I'm a new user to this forum and i want to contribute to this project.To introduce myself ,i'm very used with descent (1,2,3) .Also I follow D-UDK project.Despite interplay C&D,there are still on their way releasing a spriritual successor...But that's not the matter today.I intend to release game asset including textures,and 3d models.I'm not a pro,but that a community here so don't Ask me for a curriculum vitae :D .Also i already donated to this project (100000 € ? :roll: ) .I think d2x-xl as compared to original descent and rebirth let you insert hires media into.You are much less restricted in term of modding .I already tried ase models (made three models).The editor dle-xp is largely improved.I started creating 1 level with.But still WIP.Moreover you got lot of other feature (improved effect ,stereo support,cube increased limit,AI etc..... so I'm pleased with this project.

So far I can release:
-Improved reticle (luminosity variation turned into transparency variation,based on your hires reticle)
-NEW PLASMA SPRITE(I kept descent feeling)

Concerning the property-free models that are made-from-scratch model ,so no descent based.It was just a test But i'll talk about it another day...

Today ,I want to create a new cockpit asset for this project .I want to make it transparent,but problem is the game render black overlay on the top side.However,I noticed during D1 exit sequence this back stuff disappear.So could a programmer simply exploit the bug ?Then I that's not a problem for me making the asset :thumb: .

Regards.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: Pseudo-fullscreen cockpit

Postby karx11erx » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:34 am

Hi,

you are always welcome to provide new content for D2X-XL. Something really interesting would be a 3D model of the cockpit.
lambdatorus

Postby lambdatorus » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:17 pm

I agree with you.No problems If it's supported. Then I need the code convention so I can start working on it.

And does it support alpha channel?
Are assets position restricted like in 2D? (i think not,but tell me)

Otherwise at least if you don't want or can't support 2d transparent cockpit:Is it possible to implement in fullscreen mode a simple background image so i can add an asset on?I can do this quicly.
So in a first place if you can do this,I'll do this quickly.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:15 pm

There is a thread about a 3D cockpit in this forum outlining the modelling requirements.
Yoshimitsu

Postby Yoshimitsu » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:31 am

Hello Lambdatorus (and everybody).

So far as I know, I was the last person attempting a 3D cockpit, before I lost the necessary free time to teach myself the next steps and mostly disappeared from the forum. http://descent2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1883&start=225

Unfortunately, about a year and a half ago, my computer with all of my modeling software and the cockpit assets lost a critical part (motherboard).
At the time I was completely wrapped up in non-digital life (becoming a contradance addict, building and learning a new instrument, getting promoted at work) so because I had a newer computer for my daily needs I never fixed the old one until very recently.

I now have that PC running again and luckily none of my data or programs were lost. On the other hand it's been such a long while since I last did any 3D work that I've completely lost my place and forgotten much of what I was learning. That said, the cockpit is something that I haven't forgotten and if I can find a few hours now and then I would love to resume work (especially if I can find somebody to help me with texturing and getting it prepped for in-game use).

Cheers,

Yoshi
Windows XP home edition (Service Pack 3 plus all updates)
Asrock Dual Series Motherboard
Onboard Sound (ALC888 Audio Codec) Using Realtek HD Audio Drivers
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 (2.13Ghz)
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:40 am

It would be really nice to have a 3D cockpit for D2X-XL - particularly when considering Oculus Rift support.
lambdatorus

Postby lambdatorus » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:52 am

Hello,
So you've recovered your data Yoshi .Good .Yes,I understand you,It 's somewhat paintfull to lost hours of work.I say that because I'm RTS modder and had HDD crash one day and lost everything...Since then I've always backup data ,in case of. You should do this as well.
In fact , I started my 3d model from scratch thinking you've left .
But If you've the model:Is it complete so we can texture it ?I took a look through the forum concerning this .So, If you've have the model just give it to me .I'll see what i can do. :thumb:
lambdatorus

Postby lambdatorus » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:56 pm

Oh and also ,I have a question:

How can I release asset diedel? Because like said earlier, I'm made an improved version of hires reticule
And also new PLASMA SPRITE
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:59 pm

Send the image files to me (karx11erx at hotmail dot com), and give a meaningful "Re" text in the mail please.
Yoshimitsu

Postby Yoshimitsu » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:06 am

Hey Lambda,

I now have 3 backups of everything on different machines (always good advice).

Thanks for the offer. I would be happy to send you what I have for you to take a look. The programs I use are: Rhinoceros 4 for modelling. 3DS Max for UVW unwrapping, texture mapping, and lighting. Photoshop of course for making textures. If you don't know, Rhino is a solid modeller and converting those models to mesh for any kind of use can be arduous. I do have a mostly complete model imported into 3DS with very rough textures (and some few that I'm happy with).

When I lost my computer I had returned to the Rhino Stage to make a new canopy with thicker struts, and I don't think that version ever made the switch to mesh but I will certainly convert it. I was also reworking the Rhino model of the base body of the cockpit to eliminate polygons and simplify texturing. That needs to be completed and converted as well but for now the original one should work just fine.

Let me know what parts of the project you would like and I will email you a dropbox link. I'll PM you my email address so we can communicate that way as well.
Windows XP home edition (Service Pack 3 plus all updates)
Asrock Dual Series Motherboard
Onboard Sound (ALC888 Audio Codec) Using Realtek HD Audio Drivers
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 (2.13Ghz)
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”