Custom textures in D1

All about modding, mapping and modeling for D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Sirius

Custom textures in D1

Postby Sirius » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:13 am

OK, it looks like there is a decision to be made here.

Basically, the custom texture editor in DLE has... problems with D1 levels. Currently I'm thinking about whether it should even support them and am kind of split on the issue.

As many people know, D1 originally did not support custom textures of any kind. But with the source ports came some relaxing of these restrictions; unfortunately what the various authors chose to do is not consistent. There are four ways I can think of:
1) Source ports could support the .POG file format. This would be a tricky feat, as you'd have to somehow create textures in the D1 palette using tools that weren't designed to use the D1 palette. As such I'm not sure whether any source ports support this.
2) Source ports could allow you to put the whole .PIG in a level and read the textures out of that. I'm not certain what the support for this is like but suspect D1X Rebirth allows it and it's possible D2X-XL does as well (but I haven't tested it).
3) Apparently D1X Rebirth will also load the .DTX patch files generated by DTX1 and display the textures from them. Azure Catacombs made use of this. However, this doesn't appear to be supported by D2X-XL.
4) D2X-XL mods. It's possible that XL might load these even for a D1 level, though I don't know of any D1 levels that make use of this.

It doesn't look like there is any good mechanism that is universally supported, which makes it difficult to settle on a route for DLE. I'm not going to implement option 2, it doesn't make any sense and I question whether it's even legal to distribute (because you're copying most of the textures without any changes).
If anyone supported option 1 that would be the easiest but I don't think they do; option 3 would also be an option if it's within easy reach of XL. I'm not particularly keen on implementing features in DLE that only work with Rebirth for, hopefully, obvious reasons. That leaves mods, which you don't really need DLE for. Though I suppose it'd be nice if it did integrate support a little more deeply, so it's something I could pursue.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: Custom textures in D1

Postby karx11erx » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:40 am

D2X-XL offers the more flexible approach of creating mods containing custom textures. I see no point in adding some complicated mechanism here that tries to emulate a totally outdated concept of handling addon data for Descent when you can simply create a mod for D2X-XL.
Sirius

Re: Custom textures in D1

Postby Sirius » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:10 pm

Alright, mods it is then.

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”