Code: Y.E.N.A. - Multiplayer Map

All about modding, mapping and modeling for D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

ShadowHyena

Code: Y.E.N.A. - Multiplayer Map

Postby ShadowHyena » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:30 pm

My first ever D2X-XL multiplayer map: "Code: Y.E.N.A." :)

DL Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/437 ... YenaXL.zip

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: Code: Y.E.N.A. - Multiplayer Map

Postby karx11erx » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:25 am

That's a very nice map! :thumb:
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:43 pm

SH,

when looking at your level in D2X-XL with lightmap based rendering, I found that the lighting was totally screwed up. It took me a few hours to find out why that is so: You have made the edges of a couple of segments overlay, probably with the intention to create wedge shaped segments. That doesn't work. If you have applied D2X-XL's diagnosis function, you may probably have seen a bunch of warnings about invalid segment geometry indicating that.

The good news for you: You can create wedge shaped segments in D2X-XL levels. To do that, select an edge of the segment face you want to make disappear and select "collapse edge". That will make that side triangular. Now select the edge opposite to the triangle tip you just created and collapse that edge too. Voila, you have a wedge shaped segment. All you need to take care of is to collapse the proper edges.
ShadowHyena

Postby ShadowHyena » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:35 pm

I always knew triangular faces were possible in D2X-XL levels. But I see now that you can create segments that are literally triangles instead of just manually collapsing a square face. I'll get right to fixing it. Thanks for telling me. ^^
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:40 pm

You don't need to fix the levels (the other had that problem too) - I did that already and will give you a link soon.

Btw, I have adjusted the lighting a bit in this level (not too much). Check it out. I am Pumo's lighting expert, too. :-)
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:59 pm

Here are links to the versions of your levels I have fixed:

Code Y.E.N.A. XL
Coordination XL

I have also improved the smoke effect in Coordination. If you specify a side of the segment a particle effect object sits in in the object's properties, D2X-XL will emit particles from the entire side of that segment, i.e. it looks e.g. like smoke rises from an entire lava face, and not from a punctual source on it.

Another thing are segments that are inaccessible for players. In D2X-XL levels, you can mark such segments as "blocked". This has the effect that no respawning powerups will be placed there, and that players cannot enter them, even if they are connect to accessible level areas. This also saves the level author having to shut such segments off using invisible walls. You can also use blocked segments for gaps between level decoration players would otherwise get stuck on. Players simply won't be able to move parts of their ships into such gaps and such won't get stuck or slowed down.
ShadowHyena

Postby ShadowHyena » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:02 pm

I found that on the octagonal ceilings that 1-2 of the textures were the default one- Also mis-aligned to 20x20 cubes. But I fixed that. Also added an exit and a reactor in the end rooms on the first floor. The same dropbox link in the first post will have updated versions. ^^
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:40 am

Your version of coordination didn't have the wedge shaped segments fixed. You may want to look into mine. :)
ShadowHyena

Postby ShadowHyena » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:49 pm

Wonderful. I forgot to edit Coordination.

EDIT: I spent a while trying to improve it this morning. Wedges and pyramids instead of.. odd cubes. lol I re-made the room with the phoenix cannons. as well as tweaked the effects slightly. But yeah. Done! :P
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:02 pm

Is the new version in your dropbox?
ShadowHyena

Postby ShadowHyena » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:15 pm

Yes. :)

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”