Overlad, 6DOF game made by original Descent creators

All about modding, mapping and modeling for D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Overlad, 6DOF game made by original Descent creators

Postby Pumo » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:32 am

So, it seems that we're through a revival of the 6DOF genre, and would be a shame if Matt Toschlog and Mike Kulas woudn't decide to jump into the wagon.
Fortunately, they decided that we needed a new 6DOF that keeps true to the Descent spirit, specially focused on Single-Player (Yay for us solitary players!) and they brought:

OVERLOAD

It's in reality a Descent 1 clone (they even are using a modern cube-based engine, yay also for that!) with a small D3 touch here and there, and modernized to today's standard.
Although they can't use the name (as Interplay gave the rights to Descendent Studios), it's Descent at it's heart.

And they started its Kickstarer campaign, so let's help them to achieve their goal!

Check it out!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... dom-shoote

Luke Schneider (famous for his Entropy 1 & 2 missions for Descent 2) and Chris Claflin (Art designer for D3), Dan Wentz and Allister Brimble are also involved! :joy:
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 3.4 GHz (3.9 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
Sirius

Re: Overlad, 6DOF game made by original Descent creators

Postby Sirius » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:30 am

Co-op would have been awesome - but hey, at least this is a good start. It has the feeling of "next-gen" D2X-XL in a way.
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:34 pm

I thought the same. But then, those of the original devs who do still play (like Wentz) seem to like D2X-XL.
So, not surprising.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:26 pm

The Overload team apparently has never bothered trying D2X-XL. :(
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:31 pm

Well then, great minds think alike.
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:09 pm

And Overload got funded, yay! :D
This is a day to celebrate! :cheers: :clap:
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 3.4 GHz (3.9 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
AgedAngel

Postby AgedAngel » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:21 pm

karx11erx wrote:The Overload team apparently has never bothered trying D2X-XL. :(

For this old-fashioned plebian who's still running XP and remembers when she downloaded the DESCENT I demo via a 52k, dial-up modem (and onto a 1.4 MB floppy!), D2X-XL is perfection embodied.

Love those missile smoke trails. And the sound! Like getting a SAM launch tone when flying an Intruder above downtown Hanoi!

AA
AgedAngel

Postby AgedAngel » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:52 am

Everyone,

Sorry about that last post: it was a little off topic. It's so good to be back in the mines after so long that I sometimes get over-enthusiastic.

More to the point, then: I ran the videos of Overload and watched them very appreciatively. It's fantastic that 6DOF is coming back. I love the feeling of being allowed to roll, pitch, yaw, and tumble in threespace without any hinderance aside from those pesky 'bots...who keep trying to kill me. (What did I ever do to them? Well, OK, I did blow up a few. But they were *shooting* at me!)

But Overload didn't GRAB me the way that even the first, Lego-block-demo of DESCENT did. I thought about it for a while, and I finally came to the conclusion that Overload is just a little *too* pretty. It lacks the grittiness that the world of DESCENT has in abundance, even in its D2X-XL incarnation with the ultra-detailed textures, models, and sounds.

Overload is slick and glossy. The robots gleam and sparkle like cruising chop-and-channel jobs with candy-apple paint jobs, undercarriage lights, and chrome all the way down. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, and if Overload were the first introduction I had to a 6DOF shooter, I'd probably pledge to it my allegiance and my firstborn child alike.

But there's just a certain rough panache to D1 and D2 that captured me a long time ago, and I can't give it up, no matter how pretty the graphics are these days. The DESCENT mines and 'bots aren't clean and smooth: they're rough, jagged, and nasty, echoing a brutal world of corporate anything-for-a-buck-including-your-life attitude. The only analogy I can give is how James Cameron, when given the opportunity to spruce up and smooth out ALIENS for its DVD/BluRay release, decided against doing so: he liked the Vietnam-era "aliens by arclight" feel that the graininess of the film stock gave him. And I have to go along with him there, because that feel works well with the film's subject.

No arguments from me about Overload: this is all solely a matter of taste. I'll keep on with D2X-XL until my Thrustmaster rig gives out or my computer melts down, whichever comes first.

Good hunting.

AA
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:32 pm

Hah. I did notice that Descent Underground had a lot more of that gritty used-future feeling than Overload did but for me that was mainly in the music.
Overload's art direction, if anything, makes me very very interested to see the direction the writer will be going with its universe.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”