Enemy Within impression

All about modding, mapping and modeling for D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:11 am

so much for a sneaky light fixture substituting as a control panel trick to unveil the full map when you can just brush up against the door and get it.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:28 am

Yokelassence wrote:One time I picked up a full map without even knowing it was there! I brushed against a door with the map directly behind, the map was close enough that I collected it through the wall. Thats one D2X-XL bug I like :lol:

That was when and in what mission?

Actually that is not a bug of D2X-XL, but a problem with object sizes coming from the Descent data, and D2X-XL even forces you to get closer to powerups to pick them up now than other D2 versions do now. I doubt this problem still exists in D2X-XL, unless proven otherwise.
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:28 pm

I got rebirth to work on this computer and faced off against the Kalki. There is indeed a major difference between fighting him vanilla and then fighting him D2-XL. One major thing contributing to his increased difficulty in D2-XL is any robot's new abilty to fire upon the player regardless if they are being damaged. Is there a toggle to turn this new AI feature off to retain legacy D2? That may be part of the problem. (Difficulty wise, of course)
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:54 pm

Just set AI aggressivity to "standard"?

I have to say though that I always thought it sucked big time that htting robots rendered them completeley helpless. I like it much much better when they keep firing back.
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:48 pm

nope, changing them to standard doesn't change the fact that they still fire at you while being fired upon. So I ask again, is there a toggle, or could you add them not firing when -legacy is enabled?
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:23 pm

Nope.
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:45 pm

okay, then don't complain the Kalkis are too hard then. LOL
:D
*looks at watch for blowup at any moment* :twisted:
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:54 pm

I didn't even notice that they'd fire back now in standard mode.

Anyway, making a robot behave more reasonable and then having problems with it doesn't mean it's placement is alright. It doesn't play a role whether the Kalki wouldn't be able to fire back when hit at that particular location because it will kill you when you move into a position where you could kill it.
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:26 am

karx11erx wrote:That was when and in what mission?

The Enemy Within, Level 4 just over a week ago

Im using 1.13.94 still but the bug was certainly prevailent, just yesterday used it to snag some laser upgrades in the Belial system mission.

You can test this bug in Descent 2: Counterstrike, level 2. Theres a full map right behind a grate not far from where you start, if you can grab that map by ramming the grate then the bug persists.

But I am inclined to agree it seems more like a hires model bug rather than a D2X-XL bug. I dont recall experiencing this bug until I downloaded the hires models.

Dont worry, I dont think alot of people are aware of this one. :wink:
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:03 am

well, I haven't touched the hires models and it still is the same for me Yoke.
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:33 pm

here is a email I received from a fan who just recently completed the level set and here is what he had to say:

Congrats!!!
This, I know, required a tremendous amount of effort, and tedious hours..but please know that this is by far the best Descent 2 mission set EVER..I have played them all...I still love D2 and have played it form the beginning. I am probably the oldest Descenter around at 65...yes 65 but still a kid at heart!!
I just finished my first run thru of the entire set, and it is truly a work of art...I didn't findany bugs or glitches. Just great fun! This mission brings back the "excitement" youget the first time you play the game..
Thank you and your team for doing this for the rest of us...it is truly appreciated.

Just thought I'd post this up for everybody who worked on the set. Thought it should give you a warm fuzzy.
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:13 am

Since it seems I won't be able to use the 'bots from Project: Mandrill for my mission, do you mind if I use some TEW robots instead?
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:25 am

I'll leave that to DH, since technically I only converted them. I don't think he'll mind though.
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:19 am

and if DH does give permission, make sure you give proper credit to him and the original mission campaign those robots came from.
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:41 pm

I'm fine with that. It doesn't make sense to me to restrict access to material in this game.

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”