Enemy Within impression

All about modding, mapping and modeling for D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:49 pm

On that topic, I think what I'll do is clean up some polymodel bugs with the TEW robots and release them as an archive of HXMs - one per robot - so others can use them as they see fit. This includes, of course, the reskins/retextures we did every so often in the mission. It'll probably be ~50 robots total, but choice is good.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:54 am

A brief comment on the secret level reachable from level 19 (played it last weekend during tests): From all the bullshit regarding robot setup I have seen in TEW by now this is by far the worst. Wolfie, you have no clue of reasonable robot setups. :thumbdn:
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:20 am

Hehehe.

Even I disliked that one. Too many Warlords etc. right out the door, and then as soon as you blow the reactor you have Kalkis through either side.

Only two levels were worse, the next secret level and level 25.
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:04 pm

I thought it was fine. And last I recall, there was only one warlord right out the entry door. Not two or more. About those Kalkis, a few flash missiles into the rooms near where they are go a long way to surviving that area. And furthermore, by the time you get to level 19 secret level, you should have more than a few Mega Missiles and other heavy weaponry to knock out a good deal of those entry room robots to make the secret level a bit more of a breeze. I gave you a pretty steep problem to solve, but above, I just handed you the solution. Its worked for me every time.
The next secret level is only bad if you don't prepare for the middle reactor room. If you walk in unsuspecting, (like most people will), it will be a very bad day. Beyond that room, I don't recall anything else outstanding about the final secret level.
As for level 25, I can agree with Darkhorse on that one, it is a bit rough. Thankfully, I've knocked out most robot matcen triggers to just 'one-shot' so they only spawn once. That helped matters greatly. But level 25, by far, is probably the hardest level in the set. Not the cheapest, but by far the hardest.
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:31 pm

darkflamewolf wrote: ...But level 25, by far, is probably the hardest level in the set. Not the cheapest, but by far the hardest.

Also the coolest.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:12 pm

I can usually solve every problem and trap I have set up, guess that. One mega is not enough for a Kali, much to my dismay. That monster is just overpowered. Homing flash missiles, homing gun (Omega), and shields to boot. :crazy:

Gawk, I still can't see. Actually I am sick and was at the doctor's today to have my eyes checked through. If they're alright, I'll have to see a neurologist. They are alright, so I am gonna have a CT of my skull's inside. Finally I will find out whether there's a brain inside or ... something ... weird (green goo?). :P
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:59 pm

karx11erx wrote:Gawk, I still can't see. Actually I am sick and was at the doctor's today to have my eyes checked through. If they're alright, I'll have to see a neurologist. They are alright, so I am gonna have a CT of my skull's inside.

It's true? :(

I hope you'll be fine then.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:54 pm

well hope you get better.
Yes, the Kalki is a monster, but you'll get used to him.
I do recall Boiling Point to be a bit overwhelming for the player as well. First level, blasting into the gorge warp, being beset by enemies by all sides, with those enemies spawning 20+ enemies upon death themselves all with level 1 lasers. It got extremely hectic. And I think I went as far as level 2 before a similar situation but with more deadlier robots forced my feeble playing skills to a halt. Haven't gone on since then. So yes, we both have our cruel share of robot placement Diedel. Except that, I really don't want to cater to the lowest-common denominator of difficulty like big production companies like Nintendo do. I actually want to give players something that will challenge them. Its been like that for everything I've done: Descent missions, home-made RPGs, Zelda Classic quests, DN3D SP levels, etc. Every game I've made levels for, you can expect a strong challenge. Because that's what I like. And judging from a recent post at the DBB, someone else thinks the same way as well. :P
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:56 pm

From memory there's usually some way through stuff like that in BP. I really should get back to that mission actually, might be helpful for the next project in some ways...
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:09 pm

The last secret level had a Golem and Warlord placed very close to the start. You had to be careful how you attacked them to avoid getting grilled by rapidfire heavy weapons.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:35 pm

There's a tactic and the right weapons available to beat each level of Boiling Point. Btw, level 2 can't be beaten - only survived.
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:00 pm

well, you're on level 19, that's progress at least. :) Always looking on the bright side! :D lol
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:31 pm

darkflamewolf wrote:well, you're on level 19, that's progress at least. :) Always looking on the bright side! :D lol

Yeah, I needed to play a little to test my latest code changes. Not being able to get the shakers from the secret level isn't exactly what would motivate to continue playing TEW.
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:00 am

Got the urge to play through this one again. It really is a fun set and one of the better ones out there imho. Only because, in my mind, we brought together some of the best talent out there and we churned out something great! :) Who else gets urges to play this set or previously released ones just for no reason, but just because?
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:01 am

oh bother, stupid forum making me double post. :P It takes forever to load a response received page that I think its not working. LOL

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”