Enemy Within impression

All about modding, mapping and modeling for D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Sirius

Postby Sirius » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:31 pm

Alright, I'll keep an eye out. Pretty sure I remember seeing that in fact.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:39 pm

Ok, some feedback on level 5: I found the texturing a bit weak around the spawn area (that green floor doesn't quite fit the rest of the level), but by far the greater part of the level is beautfully designed and textured. I like the boss room very much, it's just perfect and reminds me of the final boss room of Descent 1. I found the boss too weak (looks good though, "mothership style"). Sure, it has homers, but it turns so slowly that you can eat it for breakfast by circling around it, and the other bots around aren't a real problem. There should probably some tougher "helper" bots, and maybe even throw in a matcen producing bots when you move between the two halves of the boss room. All this on hotshot difficulty.

I have found that there uses to be quite a leap between hotshot and ace difficulty settings for standard Descent, and I hope Wolfie didn't follow suit here but applied a more uniform gradient in difficulty increase, or did she?

Btw, an thought for the entire mission: Why not use more custom textures? You could e.g. use the Descent 3 textures (or those from any other game - just make sure they're free or nobody cares), only need to convert them to 64x64 256 color palettized bitmaps.
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:16 pm

Don't ever remember seeing any 'ram' robots getting stuck on anything. And I've been using D2-XL. :P

Well, if you'd want, we can alter boss 1's AIM by a good deal. Its quite lame in its aim factor. Beyond that, we'd rather not go too heavy on the bosses just yet, trust me, the worse is yet to come. But if it suits you, I'm sure Sirius can recompile that level HXM and make the boss AIM like 230 or something similar.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:25 pm

Hi Wolfie, welcome to this place. :)

I've seen it on a few occasions (actually the last was just a couple of minutes ago - edit: got it right now, plus save game), so I would like to fix it.

Btw, I found another area in level 5, around the red door at segment 386 (near the hostages). I find the defense too strong there, there's a bunch of strong bots in tight spaces, you get blocked by the red door (it's pretty hard to place a marker in it to keep it from closing) when trying to retreat or get stuck at some wall in the corridor behind with it's octagonal cross section. How about either removing at least one bot, or adding a smart missile somewhere in that level?

I replayed the boss area a few times and found it a harder than the first time. Still the boss could turn somewhat faster. With one cloak and one invul in the inventory, the boss is no problem at all (I acknowledge you have no invul there unless using XL, so forget about that).

Edit:

One more thing regarding removing empty light textures in level 23 making the level pitch black for XL: Assign light values directly to the textures instead. If a texture is also used somewhere else in the level where it should not cast light, overload another, unused texture with it and use that overloaded texture (talking custom POG texture, not 2ndary texture) where it should cast light. If you just want a diffuse light effect in a bigger area, make sure not to use such a texture as overlay (2ndary) texture, or you will get some bright fog effect due to the coronas XL will create for it. Primary textures casting light don't get a corona except for a few (e.g. lava).

Edit 2:

I think I found the code responsible for bots getting stuck. It actually had a comment by one of the original developers telling that he tuned that code down because he thought it was responsible for such behaviour. I have simply completely disabled that code, should not make much of a difference (apart from preventing bots from getting stuck), if any at all.
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:34 pm

well, I replayed the level 5 area near the hostages on ace just now. I'm only have marginal problems. I don't see anything wrong there. You're probably simply rushing in too fast, that usually gets you in trouble in this mission set. Don't do it. :P
I think we'll just increase the aim of the boss robot and marginally increase its turn time.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:45 pm

I didn't rush in too fast. I think there's too many bots in such a small area. "Marginal problems on ace". Pfff. :P

Edit:

I don't know whether DH is at least reading here (apparently he cannot be bothered to reply to my e-mails), so you may want to tell him that he can chose any available 24 bit RGB color as light color with DLE-XP, so he can use subtle tones of blue where desired and isn't limited to the current level palette.
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:42 am

It shouldn't be too long until a new beta is available. Level 4 is looking more like this now.

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:15 am

Hi DH,

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I knew you'd be coming up with something awesome! :clap:

You know you have your own section in my level spotlight? So much level building sweetness. :thumb:
Aus-RED-5
Forum Moderator

Postby Aus-RED-5 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:20 am

WOW! I hope what you're making is available in hires for D2X-XL. :D
----System Specs----
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPU Water Cooler
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2048mb) DDR3 1600 Dominator (PC12800 - TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card: ATi SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC Edition
Hard Drives: SSD Corsair Force Series 3 F120 120GB & WD5003ABYX Enterprise RE4 500GB
Media Player: LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
Power Supply: Corsair HX-850
Monitor: Benq XL2420T LED
Weyrman
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

HI Res Cockpit

Postby Weyrman » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:29 am

Yes particularly that cockpit! It's beautiful!!

I sure hope that it can be used as a default cockpit and not limited to just this mission.

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!

can we have it as standard? PLEASE!??
-SYSTEM SPECS-
MBoard:"GigaByte Z68X-UD3H-B3" Motherboard
CPU: Intel i7 E2600 3.40GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133MHZ
HD: WDC 10EARX 1TB SATA
Video: GigaByte 1G ATI 4890
Monitor: Asus VS428 LCD 24"
Sound: Onboard - now with connected 5.1 sound system
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:46 am

Hahaha... kind of expected this. Umm...

The lack of custom textures is most probably because the designers either didn't think they should, didn't want to, or weren't sure how. Likely more the first or second than the third, of course. In my case, my ideas didn't really call for heavy custom texture work, especially considering how little of a visual impact it makes if you don't go hi-res anyway. If it were a D2X-XL only set... then yeah, I would have.
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:03 am

Yes Diedel, I spotted that - though I haven't seen the XL version of AF yet. Thanks for the plug. ;)

That cockpit was more difficult than I hoped. I couldn't have too much at the top of the screen because legacy versions of D2 draw text underneath the cockpit bitmap. The energy and afterburner bars also get painted out with black, rather than the cockpit background. If that problem is gone in D2X-XL it'll look better there; I haven't checked that yet.

The other thing I find silly about D2 that you can see in that image - the cockpit is actually slightly off centre. The shield and energy displays are offset to the right by 10-20 pixels. I compensated for that a little bit; the shield indicator is still a bit far right but I can't move the cockpit any more without it looking silly.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:31 am

If you'd want to build a hires cockpit for D2X-XL, I'd could make all required adjustments to the code. I could even implement support for a true 3D cockpit model (would love to). ;)
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:04 pm

yes, yes, but first you need to still continue testing the set. A new beta should be sent to you already. Last I checked you were on level 7. Did you get any further now? We can't keep getting hung up on the first few levels! :P
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:51 pm

Level 11: ugh. It's fine until you get to the yellow door (though getting spammed by Mantids and Fulcrums gives new use to the Phoenix cannon), then things start to go to hell.

First things first, having lava behind door textures means the doors explode when you shoot them.

Secondly, you either need D2X-XL or a full map for this part of the level or you can't tell where to go. That's not really very good design. You'd still be able to find the way by shooting parts of the lava, but combining that with the plenty of robots lurking behind completely opaque lava falls ... yeah, you can see where things are going to go awry. If I could suggest anything I'd say make the lava falls at the bottom of the first shaft the partially transparent variety (Parallax used them for non-secret lava falls, and for a reason), and remove the fly-through lava floor if possible.

I also noticed doing a little bit of testing that Rebirth has the unique issue of not actually using custom credits files. Anyone here in touch with the developers to report the bug (if it's not known already)?

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”