Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:32 pm

Yeah, but you have to cheat on trainee ... :P
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:49 pm

Got to level 14 last night. Phoenix is my friend. Between that and an energy centre it makes things so much easier. :]

Energy becomes a problem in almost every level on Insane - Caldera was one of the few where I didn't have to go far to rearm. I haven't actually run out yet though, and I don't expect anyone who chooses to play on Insane is going to be less capable than I am, so perhaps it's about right.

Terapinners are rare in Gauss bots in that they're actually formidable. Not as much as the Piper, but they aren't as easy to kill either. Pipers generally need one shot and a bit of range. When range is available. You have a habit of putting robots behind every blind corner, Wolf.
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:01 pm

true, I'll admit that is my fault for doing that for robot positioning. But if you think about it, wouldn't robots know the structural integrity of the mines and better suit themselves in positions of fortification based on their knowledge of the mine layout? At least that's what smart AI should be doing.
DH, hope you are going to input the new mantid HXMs soon and see if that makes any difference at all in facing the Mantids.
And for robot positioning, I believe we need a few blind corners every now and then, force players to think smart and be cautious rather than ramming into unknown rooms like 90% of the community does. That's likely to get you killed. I have never used secondaries as much as I have in this set. This set is Secondary weapon HEAVY. Good thing we supply a bunch.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:35 pm

Ben K wrote:Caldera was one of the few where I didn't have to go far to rearm.

I'm nice like that.

And yes, re: the Bolas - I'm not sure a smart missile robot being a sitting duck is a bad thing.
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:42 pm

yes, the Bolas may not be much of a factor in early levels, esp. since I didn't use them much until the last 7-8 levels. But I remember them giving me major headaches in the final stages of the mission. So don't hold your breath on them just yet!
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:12 pm

darkflamewolf wrote:true, I'll admit that is my fault for doing that for robot positioning. But if you think about it, wouldn't robots know the structural integrity of the mines and better suit themselves in positions of fortification based on their knowledge of the mine layout? At least that's what smart AI should be doing.
DH, hope you are going to input the new mantid HXMs soon and see if that makes any difference at all in facing the Mantids.
And for robot positioning, I believe we need a few blind corners every now and then, force players to think smart and be cautious rather than ramming into unknown rooms like 90% of the community does. That's likely to get you killed. I have never used secondaries as much as I have in this set. This set is Secondary weapon HEAVY. Good thing we supply a bunch.

You want smart AI in Descent 2? Be careful, or you'll get what you're asking for, and it might not be what you wanted ...

I could add that. I think AI is the most fascinating computer related subject, and that is something I haven't yet delved into ... :roll:

How about some swarm AI for small, fast bots? They would coordinate their attacks, retreat to form up and attack together, some trying to get around you in your flanks and back ...

Some cannonfodder tactics? Have some smaller bots take the fire meant for more dangerous ones around, keeping them alive and pounding you?

Reinforcement tactics? Whoops, 60 % of nearby forces destroyed - let's get away and find some buddies, before we come back!

Detours? Whoopsy, the player opened a second route for us ... lets sneak up at him through half of the mine and see the silly expression in his face before we blast him to smithereens. :mrgreen:

And why can't bots open doors when they're so smart?

You can have that. Don't provoke me. ;)

Ben K wrote:You have a habit of putting robots behind every blind corner, Wolf.

True, and it gets kind of repetitive and tedious. Grant Hallman, quite a few levels of whom I have collected in my level spotlight, had a different approach: He had a knack for luring the player into traps, and he was really great in building them - they were very hard to predict. Absolutely scary, and entertaining. He got me every time. I recommend (re) playing his missions. You won't regret it. :) Find them in my level spotlight's G.E.L.D. section.

Sirius wrote:And yes, re: the Bolas - I'm not sure a smart missile robot being a sitting duck is a bad thing.

Well ... then there should at least be packs of two or three in level 7. As you have a lot of room to maneuver there, they are a piece of cake for super lasers. Didn't even need missiles. And they really didn't even seem to move.
Last edited by karx11erx on Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:38 pm

but you forget, its still early in the mission at level 7, trust me, there is plenty of time for the Bolas to get tougher and plenty more spots where you DON'T have room to maneuver.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:14 am

darkflamewolf wrote:but you forget, its still early in the mission at level 7, trust me, there is plenty of time for the Bolas to get tougher and plenty more spots where you DON'T have room to maneuver.

Sure, I was just talking about it in spacious ... ummm ... spaces. I don't know whether you're already done with testing in two weeks when I am back from my vacation. But so or so will I see how I'll fare with them in later missions. The large areas of level 7 could use a Bolas and a Mantid more or two though.
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:17 am

OK, so the most dangerous level so far: Secret level 2. I remember the old days when robots in secret levels were just target practice...

It's like fighting a normal level on Insane with no save/reload and no extra lives. You can, I suppose, complete it before destroying the boss, but with THAT boss, I wasn't about to risk it.

Suddenly the Bolas was dangerous. Very, very dangerous. Mantids had the habit of sneaking up from miles away, but smart missiles with blind corners... thankfully they weren't player smarts because I copped a few of them.

The bonus at the end suddenly seemed like a really nice touch. 6 extra lives for managing to survive to the end. Hehe.

That puts me up to level 16 so far.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:33 am

Umm. Are RLE-compressed POGs not supported by D2X-XL? I just checked a tweaked version of level 4 in there and all the custom textures either looked odd or didn't load at all. Strange since other versions don't seem to mind...
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:35 am

Darkhorse, the secret levels, as a whole, are actually harder than most of the standard levels. They are a step above in difficulty than the levels you probably enter them from. I did this on purpose, I missed the days of Descent 1, where the secret levels were indeed harder than the current levels you were working through. But yes, the final prize of many extra lives, omega cannon, fusion cannon, guided missiles and two earthshakers was more than enough for your trouble. Not to mention the other shakers and megas you find throughout the level.
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:12 am

I've always wondered why no one puts bosses on secret levels. I think having a boss robot that can only be faced on a secret level would really add to replay value, not to mention the difficulty of that particular secret level.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:14 am

Black Rabite comes to mind...
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:54 am

level 10 boss uncompletable - new robot coding makes him insanely fast, insane 'bob and weavy' and he shoots around the arena like a bullet bill. He dodges and weaves like crazy around even insta-hit Gauss. Most other robots are showing similar traits unless they are set to 'still.' 1.13.80 of D2-XL has made this mission impossible.
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:02 am

While I still remember, do you want to keep the Guidebots in Pumo's levels? No-one else has added them.

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”