Enemy Within impression

All about modding, mapping and modeling for D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Sirius

Postby Sirius » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:36 am

Man. One thing I didn't count on in my post about 3 pages back; nobody who cares enough to comment isn't posting here anyway...
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:53 am

darkflamewolf wrote:level 10 boss uncompletable - new robot coding makes him insanely fast, insane 'bob and weavy' and he shoots around the arena like a bullet bill. He dodges and weaves like crazy around even insta-hit Gauss. Most other robots are showing similar traits unless they are set to 'still.' 1.13.80 of D2-XL has made this mission impossible.

That's a bit strange. The new code only prevents the bot to constantly follow some path instead of attacking the player. I can turn this off till I am back though, and will take another look into this after my vacation. Sigh.

But hey, you wanted better bot AI, didn't you? All I did was to make that a robot followed a movement path it had been assigned to its end and setting it to idling when it has arrived there (from the idling state a robot will switch to attack when it sees the player). Before, it hardly ever reached the idling state. Before the fix I often had the problem that e.g. the Mantids charged me for a bit, then started to idle right in front of me even if being shot at, even moved away quite a bit, came back, circle around me ... and hardly ever attacked (on insane!).

So there's something a little weird here.

I will compare this with D2X-W32 v1.6 which I still keep as a reference in two weeks. If the behavior differs, I have screwed something up in previous changes of the AI code.

Ok, been there, done that. v.81 w/o recent fix available.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:17 am

OK. Enjoy your time off, anyway. :)
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:01 pm

well that fixed things. Whatever you did in .80 for robot AI, it flipped things out. I just tried .81, they are back to normal again and I was able to complete level 10 perfectly. So...not sure what the problem is, but at least we got it narrowed down.

Also, Darkhorse, how is the Kalki treating you? hehe, and to think I put two of them in the level 16 reactor room initially. Boy did I quickly change those to Terapinners. Also dangerous, but more manageable. Those Kalkis are a REAL threat.
About the guidebots, I'll see what I can replace it with. Level 1 and level 20, right?
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:41 pm

The Kalki is only a problem if you get shot. The solution is don't get shot. They haven't tried to sneak up on me yet.

Level 1 and 20 seem to be the only ones with Guidebots, yes. You could replace them with secret doors perhaps.
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:15 pm

Hey Wolfie & Dark Horse, welcome to the D2X-XL forum!

Darkwolf:
I've been thinking that maybe i can help as beta tester (as i see that some of the testers aren't doing their jobs as you stated on the DBB) at least of some levels, so if you want, please send me the beta version of the mission to my E-Mail and i will see what can i do. :)
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:33 pm

Will do Pumo, let me update levels 1 and 20 with secret doors rather than guide bots and I'll send it you way piecemeal style. (its too big for one file size alone with Yahoo.

So DH, how are those new Mantids treating you?
Those Kalkis never sneak up on you. You more than likely run into them by accident and they tear you to shreds. They are sitting ducks, yes, but they are DANGEROUS sitting ducks.
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:58 pm

Mantids seem easy now. Not too slow, but the lack of plasma discharge takes their bite away.

I'm up to level 22 so far. I'll have to take a screenshot of my score at the end of the mission; it's building up to something enormous.

Kalkis spawned by robot generators do move around in the Sunspire last I checked. They need to though, it's such a huge area they'd never get in range otherwise.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:04 am

You only have one level left to play that even has Mantids.

Also, Wolf, level 4 has had some slightly tweaked lighting; do you want that sent to you as well? I wasn't entirely sure where the data was going at present.
darkflamewolf

Postby darkflamewolf » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:28 am

tweaked lighting? You mean more current than the version I have now? If so, what would you like to do with the lighting if the blue glow isn't sufficient?
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:14 am

Presumably, unless DH sent something to you in the last two days or so. It was mostly correcting the colour emitted by one texture in XL, as well as minor changes to one of the grates. The rest isn't much different.
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:30 am

Level 25 is just retarded.

The yellow and red key are only obtainable by throwing numerous Earthshakers into the room to clean out the crap. Worst thing was, after I died having obtained the red key, I had to shut down D2 because there was a Kalki camping the spawn killing me instantly. So it was impossible to reload or quit because every time I hit the ESC key it would respawn me. And I wasn't about to wait until it killed me 103 times before I could do anything.

I did have a large number of Earthshakers, but you can't rely on people knowing where every one in the set is just to get through a level. I went through 16 to complete the level.
Last edited by Ben K on Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:56 am

Level 26 also has a problem - there's a ghost Kalki right outside the start door. You can't see it, but it can kill you as soon as you open the door, making it impassable.

[Edit: I figured out... sort of... what was happening there. The two Kalkis much further back were somehow able to shoot from a point right in front of the door, even though they were nowhere near it. I don't know why they can, however. My guess is an old D2 bug.]
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:02 am

Image Image

One of the interesting parts about so many extra lives is the bonus it gives you at the end.

Anyway, this set is obviously completable on Insane.
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:55 am

Well, i've done a bit of beta testing, and this is what i found:

Level 17: IMO, the robots behind the blue/yellow/red doors are not necesary. As Diedel said, those robots waiting closely behind doors are not so nice. They made me jump everytime i opened one of those doors 'cause i was not expecting them. :P

Level 23: Although this is more D2X-XL specific, it seems that it uses a LOT of light-emitting textures beneath normal textures. However, the main problem is that it uses a huge variety of them. Some areas of the level are red-lighted, yellow-lighted, etc. Without a logical light scheme.

Also, i think you could down a bit (just a bit) the shields of the Kalki.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”