Beta Testing Open!

All about modding, mapping and modeling for D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Kaizerwolf

Beta Testing Open!

Postby Kaizerwolf » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:42 pm

Well, here's my big huge level i've been talking about! It's not Anthology big, but it's pretty cool! Most of the original screen shots you saw are now gone, and i will be periodically adding things to it. All are welcome to test, and i ask that you please do! You can leave comments and suggestions right here, and i'll do my best to work it out ;)

Whether it be some odd or off texturtes, or some cubes don't seem right, post it here.

I am uploading the file to MediaFire, and you can download it from there.

-=-SPECS-=-

75 Custom D3 Textures (not all were used...)
Cubes- 2323
Matcens- 3
Energy Centers- 18
Triggers- 17
Robots- 81
I attemped to make a track for the level, but if anyone can make a good song, i would be very grateful :)
No Co-op Compatability yet, but rest assured, there will be! Many changes need to be done, but i just want the Beta testing to start.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tlm45nhmm5v There is the link to download.

Have fun playing!
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:57 pm

Hmm. Size is pretty impressive but it's not 2300 cubes' worth - I'm noticing there's a room that uses 500 cubes when you could most likely do it with 50-100. A lot of 20³ cubes where the situation isn't calling for it, I think. It's kind of as though you learned how to really use the cubes halfway though the process... :D

I'll take a better look (in-game) once I get back.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:10 pm

It looks like you forgot to light the level in DLE-XP ... shouldn't hurt if it's a D2X-XL level.
Wheeze87

Postby Wheeze87 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:04 am

DId i miss something here? I saw a blue door near the start, but i never came across a blue key, and i was able to defeat the bosss and make the exit without needing any keys.

anyway, potential for a really nice level here. The D3 textures work really really well alongside the hi-res d2 textures, so nice job on implementing those!

Like karx said, you desperately need to re work the lighting, the outdoor areas didnt feel like out door areas because of that, i think some re texturing could allow for a moore out door feel, particularly in the boss arena.

The mine felt kind od empty in my opinion ,a few more bots in ther ought to do the trick ;)

This level is a massive improvement for your previous works though kaizer, keep it up, I look forward to seing this level on par with some other great ones, and i hope to see more work from you!
---NEW RIG!!!-------------------------------Macbook
-Asus P5KC motherboard-----------------OSX leopard (10.5.4)
-Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4ghz----1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
-3GB RAM-------------------------------------2.0 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
-250GB HDD----------------------------------64MB intel GMA 950 :( (sucks i know)
-Nividia GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB
-Windows XP SP2
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:51 am

OK, done. Comments as I noticed them, more or less:
  • That broken fan may not be a strong enough cue that it's fly-through. I only figured that out while trying to "crane my neck" so to speak in case there was a trigger back there.
  • Excellent atmosphere, despite the somewhat simple structures. Textures are generally used to great effect, although the alignment sometimes leaves something to be desired. The music enhances this actually - it's not brilliant, but it does work with it quite well.
  • Waterfalls for moving textures are kinda weird. I know what you're getting at, though.
  • Two Lou Guards at opposite sides of your view is probably pushing it. Even though I knew they were there I didn't have any weapons that let me do anything but rush in and hope I could kill them faster. I'm sure TEW did this too, but it took a popularity hit as a result.
  • Generally, the lack of robots in the mine doesn't appear to do the level a disservice. It gives it a somewhat suspenseful atmosphere, rather than you expecting to fight every inch of the way. This comes down to taste, of course, but I don't mind it at all.
  • Not sold on the sky. I know a lot of D2X-XL levels do it that way but it does look somewhat fake.
  • Nevertheless, the boss room is fairly nice if (as I mentioned before) heavy on the cube count. Made for a pretty decent boss fight.
  • There's some force field down below the extra life that seemed to have nothing behind it?

Think that pretty much covers it so far.
Kaizerwolf

Postby Kaizerwolf » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, like i said, i have a lot to work on.

Wheeze: I was trying to get a new feel to the level with the outdoor area... i guess it didn't work out okay. I didn't really need a skybox for it, it was only in two parts. I'll work on it :P

I do need to add a few more bots, i do agree. Playing through by myself and i noticed that there were plenty of textures off around the level.

Wheeze, the trick is to go into the blue computer screen. Be persistant, you'll get through. There are 2 switches and the blue key inside. I most likely forgot to make the doors key locked again after wanting to go through quickly.

Sirius: I don't understand which fan you are talking about... the one in the beginning at the bottom of the floor?

Simple structures are what im best at :P I do need to work on the alignment, yes.

I understand this, but how else can i get the texture to move without using water... i can't figure it out.

Probably is pushing it. I'll change them to something else, and maybe put them somewhere easier to see.

I know, I know, the sky sucked :P

I tried my best to lower the cube count on the boss room, it wasn't going to work out right though. Still, i like how it turned out :D
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:45 pm

If it works it works. Cube count is something you should consider for future levels, not so much this one.

Now, the fan is the one at the beginning yes. There's only one I know of that is fly-through. The problem is it doesn't necessarily "say" fly-through, because realistically the hole isn't big enough to fit a ship through. I'm wondering if a custom texture is called for here...

Moving textures can be created by animations. Diedel has a guide to how to do it, I think, somewhere on this site. I actually have an animated version of the energy centre texture from Anthology I can send you if you're interested.
Kaizerwolf

Postby Kaizerwolf » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:00 pm

That would be cool, i'd like that. I'll also look into the animation section you're talking about, and mess around a bit more with it. Thanks!
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:11 am

Set misc100 - light as the primary texture, and put the texture you want to flow as a secondary texture on top of that. That's how I always do it, and also how the Vertigo series did it.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
Kaizerwolf

Postby Kaizerwolf » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:00 pm

Using Misc-100 makes it go sideways. I want it to go vertically downwards ;)
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:37 pm

Why don't you just rotate the base texture?
Kaizerwolf

Postby Kaizerwolf » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:04 pm

Because then the texture looks sideways going down. I want a moniter texture to scroll down, and when i rotate Misc-100, the secondary texture is offset.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:26 pm

Yeah, you'd need to rotate your custom texture in Photoshop or equivalent to compensate. I don't know how that'd hit visual fidelity.

Nonetheless, animations can - generally - convincingly fake moving textures.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:00 pm

He doesn't have to - rotating the base texture by 90 deg and the overlay texture by 270 should work.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:17 pm

Oh, does the texture go sideways? I thought it was one of the diagonal (~45 degree) ones.

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”