The Sphere [FINAL 1.5]

All about modding, mapping and modeling for D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Woodpecker

Postby Woodpecker » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:16 am

DANG!!!! This is one hard level set!! The room on level 1 with all the matcens in is a Sod. I cleared it out, left the room, re-entered shortly after and the matcens had restarted! That and the Blue key room have worn me out.

The level is good and all that, but boy does it take some beating!
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:38 am

Yoke,

I am trying to multi thread object rendering because that is where dynamic lights have to be gathered for each segment containing objects (robots, players, ...). But this won't help people with single core machines.

Also each mobile light is a dynamic light also, i.e. robots, shots, this also includes lightning - and lightning has a light source for each 20 distance units along each bolt, which means for a lightning effect with 50 bolts of 100 units length each there are 250 dynamic lights.
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:20 am

Understood, setting some of the lightning effects in levels 3 and 4 to non-light casting might make a difference then.

The mission isnt for the faint-hearted Woodpecker, but if you can find the mega missiles and extra lives you will prevail.

Also it is possible to skip the blue room in level 1.
-Core 2 Duo E8500 3.2Ghz--Radeon HD4850--4GB DDR2-800--Gigabyte EP45-DS3L--640GB Storage--Antec 300 Case-
-Now with Wi-Fi Access-
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:24 am

How do you want to make a lightning effect not cast light? That's something D2X-XL does automatically.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:42 pm

Black lightning?

Waaaait... now that's just silly.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:57 pm

:spam: :no:

Lightning would still be visible, but it wouldn't illuminate its environment - that's what Yoke wants and what isn't possible.
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:49 pm

Funny, I could have sworn that in DLE-XP there was a checkbox for lightning effect objects that when unchecked; prevented lightning effects from illuminating nearby walls. Oh well, I have not actually touched DLE-XP in months, I guess things change...either that or my memory is making crap up again. It tends to do that.
-Core 2 Duo E8500 3.2Ghz--Radeon HD4850--4GB DDR2-800--Gigabyte EP45-DS3L--640GB Storage--Antec 300 Case-

-Now with Wi-Fi Access-
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:26 am

It will inhibit that lightning effect to appear at all.
Woodpecker

Postby Woodpecker » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:54 am

OK I just finished the first level (but skipped cleaning out the reactor room).

That blue sector is really tough - the two Hulks with mercury missiles finished me off again and again. When they didn't, the sidearm did. The trick was to ration the blue shield orbs. I noticed one of them actually disappear when I was just a few metres away from collecting it! That said, the level is enjoyable and has some clever ideas: the 'security system' firing mega missiles was very well done, and I liked the water in the blue sector.

Why did you place the vulcan and spreadfire cannons instead of the helix and the gauss? With the other high-powered guns (quad lasers, plasma cannon) in the game it seems strange to have such a weak weapon, especially considering they were placed in areas with a lot of very tough robots.

One of the bridges in the Blue sector has a locked door at the end - but it seems rather pointless. You can clean out the entire sector without ever needing to go through it because the bridge and room either side of it are always accessible.

Other than that, well done! :D
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:13 am

You should have seen the blue sector in the beta version, there used to be 4 sidearms in there and guided missile hulks instead of murcury hulks. Even I couldnt beat that.

The vulcan and spreadfire is available early in the game because you wouldnt use them anywhere else. I wanted each weapon to find a purpose in the mission.

The spreadfire is there to help you deal with close encounters in the tight corridoors that make up the first part of level 1...even then I just use it to get to the plasma cannon faster, it isnt easy making a useless weapon useful.

The vulcan is there in case you run out of energy but need to keep pressing forward. The guass doesnt come until the latter sections of level 2 because I intended the pheonix to be the weapon of choice for the first part of level 2, the gauss would have upstaged it.

The locked door in the blue sector, once unlocked simply lets you move from the middle room to the water channel faster. Its meant to speed things up, not block access.

-Now with Wi-Fi Access-
Woodpecker

Postby Woodpecker » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:05 am

Yokelassence wrote:You should have seen the blue sector in the beta version, there used to be 4 sidearms in there and guided missile hulks instead of murcury hulks. Even I couldnt beat that.

Those mercury hulks fire both guided and mercury missles. I was wiped out many times because of that.

Yokelassence wrote:The vulcan and spreadfire is available early in the game because you wouldnt use them anywhere else. I wanted each weapon to find a purpose in the mission.

The spreadfire is there to help you deal with close encounters in the tight corridoors that make up the first part of level 1...even then I just use it to get to the plasma cannon faster, it isnt easy making a useless weapon useful.

The vulcan is there in case you run out of energy but need to keep pressing forward. The guass doesnt come until the latter sections of level 2 because I intended the pheonix to be the weapon of choice for the first part of level 2, the gauss would have upstaged it.

Fair enough.

Yokelassence wrote:The locked door in the blue sector, once unlocked simply lets you move from the middle room to the water channel faster. Its meant to speed things up, not block access.

Yes, but by the time you've found the trigger you've cleared out 90% of the water channel. :?
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:13 am

Woodpecker wrote:Those mercury hulks fire both guided and mercury missles. I was wiped out many times because of that.

Huh? That cant be right. Are you sure the guided missiles didnt come from a guided missile hulk standing behind the murcury hulk?

I didnt replace all of the guided hulks with murcury hulks, I left at least one still in there.

Woodpecker wrote:Yes, but by the time you've found the trigger you've cleared out 90% of the water channel. :?

Not if you hit it with a guided missile ;)

-Now with Wi-Fi Access-
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:02 am

I know I said 1.4 would be the last version but a funny thing happened. It turned out that restrictions placed on maker telportation also restricted coop players.

I looked back over this mission and noticed level 4 has that exact same bug that plagued DI 1.3 so I had to get rid of that. I wanted The Sphere to be a coop mission, I wont have anything get in the way of that.

While I was at it I aslo cut down even more lights and destructible lights to alleviate performance concerns

...then I implimented directional exits to make the secret level D1 style, now you can die in it.

...then I completely re-did the skybox

...then someone had to get a crowbar between me and the computer so I would stop making so many bloody changes

Changes include

-reduced number of destructible lights across all levels
-patched up some more texture misalignments across all levels
-removed more excess lights across all levels
-Hi-res skybox textures introduced
-Proper glass texture introduced
-New repair center texture introduced
-Tweaked effects so they look better
-Blue key sequence triggers in level 2 no longer refer to non-existant doors
-New rooms and passageways added in level 3 to make it easier
-The plasma cannon dispenser can be reached without setting off a robot generator
-The secret level is now an alternate exit (Descent 1 style), added a path to it from the central boss chamber too
-Equipment generators can be toggled on or off
-Secret level now supports 16 players
-Building windows in level 4 are now glass covered to prevent bosses outside from interfering with player inside
-Complete overhaul of the loading platform interior in level 4
-The restriction on using marker teleports in level 4 has been lifted (Had the same problem with coop that DI had)
-The intersection in level 4 has been replaced with one-way teleports

Thats it, its done.

-Now with Wi-Fi Access-
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:26 am

Wow! The skybox looks awesome!

Can't wait to see the revised mission. :drool:
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:11 am

I put it up in the first post

-Now with Wi-Fi Access-

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”