karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:45 am

Of course ... :oops:
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:44 am

No wait, its not done :wallbash:

I just found out that one of the rock textures in level 4 spontanously made itself a light source for no bloody reason! I can't believe I didn't catch that in my pre-testing!

Its adds hundreds of unnecassary light sources AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...
-Core 2 Duo E8500 3.2Ghz--Radeon HD4850--4GB DDR2-800--Gigabyte EP45-DS3L--640GB Storage--Antec 300 Case-
-Now with Wi-Fi Access-
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:23 am

This would be a static light source then, which D2X-XL will map to a lightmap. With lightmap driven lighting that means you'll have a few more lightmaps in areas that'd be unlit otherwise, but that's it. For standard lighting it might hurt a bit though, but I don't think too badly.
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:38 am

I'm going to try this again... in the Phantom XL. I may be able to get farther than I did the last time (that ship is a lot easier for me to fly).
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:38 am

It mainly just makes lightmap computation longer and the lighting in several area's look ugly. but I also suspect it may be behind the performance problems, I don't know long this texture has been emmiting light, it could have been doing that for a long time. I never noticed it until now.

I took out the unwelcome light source: Lightmap computation is now 15 seconds shorter. I'll quickly host the patch in the OP in a minute.

You know what? I will not call v1.51 the final version since everytime I do, something like this happens.

EDIT: Ok 1.51 is up, try that instead.

I left the link to 1.5 available in case something in 1.51 broke...again. But I know that 1.5 works

Changes in 1.51:

-Fixed a rock texture that was incorrectly producing light
-Includes the tweaked minireactor model I made for DI, (textures have been left the same but it has the submodel improvements)

EDIT2:

You may be in luck Alter-fox, I made level 3 easier this time
-Core 2 Duo E8500 3.2Ghz--Radeon HD4850--4GB DDR2-800--Gigabyte EP45-DS3L--640GB Storage--Antec 300 Case-

-Now with Wi-Fi Access-
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:06 am

Neither 1.5 nor 1.51 will let me restore saved games. I don't think I can go through this mission all in one sitting either :P.

EDIT: 1.5 will let me load save games now...
beware of ounce
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:18 am

Sorry, I made changes in every level. So that means all old savegames are now outdated.

D2X-XL checks to make sure the data in the savegame matches the data in the level. If not, it discontinues. Again sorry.

Edit: Oh, it let you anyway? Huh...maybe that is because I made changes in the HXM files in 1.51 but not 1.5

-Now with Wi-Fi Access-
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:40 am

Actually, I started from a new game in level 1 (I didn't have my old saves anyway).

I'm afraid I might have completely screwed myself in level 2. I have 2 lives and I'm stuck between two bosses with 8 shields...

I found a spot in level 1 that looks sort of like the platforms in Portal.
beware of ounce
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:50 am

Now that I have played Portal I think I know which part you mean ;)

I tried loading a savegame with 1.51 and you are right, the game thinks that something has changed and recalculates lightmaps, then it complains that the savegame is no longer compatable. I tried this multiple times to no avail.

Under 1.5, everthing is fine. :think:

I do not understand why that is happening. The only difference between 1.5 and 1.51 is one extra polymodel in the HXM file but that should have no affect on savegames at all.

The only way I was able to get a savegame from 1.51 to load was by clearing my cache and rebuilding them using 1.5. Savegames from 1.51 load just fine so long as they use 1.5 cache data.

But the cache data between 1.5 and 1.51 should be identical with the only exception being level 4. I don't have a clue what is going on :clue:

I am just glad I kept the link to 1.5...somehow I just knew something like this would happen.

-Now with Wi-Fi Access-
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:57 am

There is a savegame bug in 1.15.81 I have already fixed in 1.15.82 (release pending).
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:24 pm

I've been PM'ing with Woodpecker. Apparently he found a bug in level 2 where for some reason a set of guidebot cages crashed the game when destroyed

At first I thought he meant a bug that existed in Sphere 1.2 where 5 guidebot cages in the corridoors were occupying the exact same place as a prison door. Two destructible doors in the exact same wall is asking for a crash. When shot, the merged doors exploded at the same time and crashed the game. But I thought I fixed that in Sphere 1.3 when I tore out that entire bugged corridoor and replaced it :think:

But then Woodpecker continues:
you turn right out of the spawn room and see three doors ahead. Take the door on the extreme right. Follow the tunnel up into a room with a hulk or something -- not a boss, just a nuisance. Straight ahead is a door to an energy centre. Go through that door, clear out the bots and follow the energy centre round. Go through the door at the end. You should now be at 90 degrees to the door you entered the energy centre. Look up, and there is a gap in the top of the wall into the next room. On either side of this gap is a guidebot prison door. It is these doors which are crashing my game. To be clear, on the other side of the wall are two sidearms firing concussion missiles and hundreds of their annoying spawn

Whaaa? There shouldn't be a guidebot cage there at all, only the corridors have those. It sounded as though some geometry from another part of the level somehow merged with that particular area. When woodpecker tried to destroy the cages the game would surely crash if those illegitimate doors lead to nowhere.

I opened The Sphere 1.51 and swept through it but couldn't find any problems. So Woodpecker if you are not using 1.51 please try that. If the problem is still there then this could possibly mean file corruption. Both me and Woodpecker are currently using .119 so this is not likely to be a D2X-XL bug.

Has anyone downloaded The Sphere 1.51 via the link in the OP? Does it work?

-Now with Wi-Fi Access-
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:59 pm

I died in the mine on level 3 and then found myself booted to the secret level...

After some thought I realized how there was really no other way to handle it though... if you put the secret level after level 4 then it would be the last level.

Do you mind if I add a feature request on Sourceforge for an "end-mission" flag for exit triggers? That could prevent wierd things like this from happening.
beware of ounce
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:45 am

Plus it would make no sense to the storyline if the secret level started there.

I tested level 3 just now, getting killed never sent me to the secret level :? Suddenly there are all these bugs popping up and I'm the only one who doesn't get them...

I'm assuming you were playing version 1.51 via the mediafire link. I wonder if mediafire screwed the level up or something.

EDIT: This end mission flag you say...how would that work exactly?

-Now with Wi-Fi Access-
Woodpecker

Postby Woodpecker » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:59 am

Yokelassence wrote:Whaaa? There shouldn't be a guidebot cage there at all, only the corridors have those. It sounded as though some geometry from another part of the level somehow merged with that particular area. When woodpecker tried to destroy the cages the game would surely crash if those illegitimate doors lead to nowhere.

I opened The Sphere 1.51 and swept through it but couldn't find any problems. So Woodpecker if you are not using 1.51 please try that. If the problem is still there then this could possibly mean file corruption. Both me and Woodpecker are currently using .119 so this is not likely to be a D2X-XL bug.

Has anyone downloaded The Sphere 1.51 via the link in the OP? Does it work?

I downloaded the file again and updated to the latest version of d2x-xl, and for the benefit of those who can't read our PMs it now works fine if I restart the level from scratch. However, reloading the savegame produces the same results -- guidebot cage doors and crashed games on blowing them up. If you'd like a first-hand look, Yoke, I can email you my game file :)

EDIT: Once you've got rid of those three massive yellow hulks at the start of Level 2, it becomes fun. Level one was annoying and tiring to finish; level 2 is much easier.

EDIT2: I died in the mine on level 3 (from a fresh start) and got booted to level 4.
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:33 am

Woodpecker wrote:EDIT2: I died in the mine on level 3 (from a fresh start) and got booted to level 4.

That's some weird bug. I've made several tests with a test mission I have using directed exits and couldn't reproduce that.
Although actually I haven't tested with The Sphere yet.

EDIT: OK, tested on The Sphere. I did a jump (freespace) to Level 3 and died several times (until game over) on it without a single problem. Everytime I died on Level 3 I respawned there, on Level 3 (no jumps to Secret Level/Level 4 or whatever).

So it seems hard to reproduce.
Could be a problem on player profiles on your side Alter-Fox and Woodpecker?
Are you using D2X-XL latest version? (1.15.121)
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”