The Sphere [FINAL 1.5]

All about modding, mapping and modeling for D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Yokelassence

Re: The Sphere [FINAL 1.5]

Postby Yokelassence » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:52 am

Done :)
-Core 2 Duo E8500 3.2Ghz--Radeon HD4850--4GB DDR2-800--Gigabyte EP45-DS3L--640GB Storage--Antec 300 Case-
-Now with Wi-Fi Access-
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:31 pm

Wow almost a decade since I last posted here!

I can't believe this mission still works!

I just bought a brand new copy of Descent (my original disk was lost a decade ago), installed the latest version of D2X-XL and downloaded my own mission from this website. Played through level 1

Hindsight is truly 20/20 and there's many things in this mission that make my hate my past self from 2011. Like what the hell was I thinking with that guided missile puzzle in level 1. Just what kind of superhuman reflexes did I have to not have a problem with it? Maybe I've gotten old, but now I want to install DLE-XP again and make that puzzle 500x easier!

[edit]

And for the love of Mike, why do I have a robot generator that spawns freaking boarsheads only a few clicks from the start point of the first damn level?????

[edit]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Level 3 is missing its hxm file AND it's missing it's pog file!

Aaaargh, the map had been released as a final version for years and it had this monster of a bug!

Where is that emoji... ....goddammit....here it is :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Cant freaking believe this. I can fix this easily but after all these years....uuuuugh
-Core 2 Duo E8500 3.2Ghz--Radeon HD4850--4GB DDR2-800--Gigabyte EP45-DS3L--640GB Storage--Antec 300 Case-

-Now with Wi-Fi Access-
Yokelassence

Re: The Sphere [NOT SO FINAL AFTER ALL LOL]

Postby Yokelassence » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:29 pm

Welp, I don't know who else is out there on these forums these days but I thought I would drop a line anyway.

So I played through The Sphere, and noted a lot of issues with it. I wrote down an entire document of gameplay problems as well as noting a few texture/trigger/data bugs. No gamebreaking bugs. But there is at least one absolutely unforgivable issue, which is the missing custom data for level 3. I just can't leave it like that

So I am planning update 1.6. This will be a quality of life and general bug fix update. No new content planned

Among the bugs to be fixed include:
- Restore the missing hxm and pog files for level 3
- Fix the secret level mechanic which is horribly broken. Nobody will play that level with the way it is currently
- Fix incorrect transparency used on some grates
- Fix glass texture appearing fully opaque
- Fix reactor time not scaling with difficulty level in level 2
- various texture and geometry realignment
- many more

Quality of life changes:
- guided missile puzzle in level 1 to be 1000% less infuriating
- revised robot placement and robot generators for level 1 (it's still unfair, considering the gauss doesn't appear until level 2)
- removal of a broken mechanic that can permanently deny players from reaching items
- sudden exit blocking obstacles will have ways around them (if found in time)
- reduced "grate fighting" (when player is forced to shoot through grating that is difficult to fight through)
- rethink the bot hunt in level 3 which turns into an annoying wild goose chase. I'm thinking about giving the targets thief AI so they come to the player and can be trapped in the thief trap. Experimental, so I'll see how that goes
- no more theives spawning from robot generators
- more convenient powerup placement eg: ammo racks in every level, closer to start

Optimization:
- vast reduction of lighting to speed up lightmap calculation

I'll be investigating Dimensional Intersect as well

-Now with Wi-Fi Access-
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:55 pm

Good to see you will make an updated version!
Will give it a play as soon as you release the 1.6 version, long time since the last time I actually played a full-fledged D2X-XL campaign, as I mostly do testing of my own campaign as of lately.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
Yokelassence

Postby Yokelassence » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:40 am

Thanks. I plan to have it done shortly. I just have to give myself a crash course on DLE-XP. I've pretty much forgotten how it works :oops:

-Now with Wi-Fi Access-

Return to “D2X-XL Mapping & Modding”