descent 2 robot re-models

Projects around retexturing and remodeling Descent

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

firebingo

Postby firebingo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:09 pm

That would be cool, it would take some work and all of the models would probably have to be re-done. but it sounds possible.

Something else, I'm not sure this is good, i had exported the ITSC to the models folder to test it. Then i deleted it and all the textures for it, but its still showing up in game. Is it supposed to do that? if it is how do i stop it.

Edit:
I got bored so i started work on the IT droid

Edit2:
even more (i work fast, mainly the fact its all I've been doing.) current size comparison between ITSC and IT droid.

Edit3:
gotten more work on the IT droid done, everybody else must be busy today.

Front

back

and just for fun (you guys don't mind me posting all these pics do you? if you do I'll slow them down.)
System Specs
~~~~~~~~~~
Motherboard: ASUS ramapge IV
Processor: Intel I7-3930k @ 3.2 GHz (6 cores, 12 threads, boosted to 4.4 GHz)
Memory: 24.57GB RAM
Hard Drive: 6x 1.8 TB drives, 1x 300GB Raptor
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 4 GB VRAM Dual GPU
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:23 am

Smooth groups are making these things look like plastic moulds.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:20 am

D2X-XL creates a faster to load binary representation of high res models which probably still is present in your models folder (modelXXX.bin).
firebingo

Postby firebingo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:13 pm

Thanks for the help diedel. Also i was going to ask, how do you disable the robot AI.
And Ben what exactly do you mean by plastic molds. Because to me they really don't look like plastic molds. The ITSC barely has any smoothing groups any more. and the IT only looks that smooth because I'm still working on it.
Last edited by firebingo on Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
System Specs
~~~~~~~~~~
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

Postby Frustikus » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:27 pm

firebingo wrote: how do you disable the robot AI.

d2x.ini
-nobotai
Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 3420 MHz and standard voltage with Sonic Tower Rev.2, Geforce GTX 260 (896 MB), Asus P5Q Deluxe, 6 GB GSkill DDR2-1066, 2x500 GB Seagate @ Raid 0, Soundblaster XFi, Sharkoon Rebel12 Case, Teufel Concept Magnum 5:1, Samsung 2494 SW , Genius Navigator 535, Logitech Wingman FF, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
firebingo

Postby firebingo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:28 pm

thanks

Edit:
a quick re-model of the guide-bot, used one of irontowers textures for this. i plan to put more detail in it still.

and more news, I'm looking for a better texture for the ITSC and IT, I'll probably just re-color one of irontowers. hopefully that will make it look better.

Edit 2:
trying a new texture on the ITSC tell me if you like it better. tried to make it look more like metal, and used the ITSC's original color.
System Specs
~~~~~~~~~~
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

Postby Frustikus » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:05 am

Hi firebingo,

please take a closer look to this thread: http://www.descent2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1549

We had a discussion already what kind of detail should be shown with the textures.
Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 3420 MHz and standard voltage with Sonic Tower Rev.2, Geforce GTX 260 (896 MB), Asus P5Q Deluxe, 6 GB GSkill DDR2-1066, 2x500 GB Seagate @ Raid 0, Soundblaster XFi, Sharkoon Rebel12 Case, Teufel Concept Magnum 5:1, Samsung 2494 SW , Genius Navigator 535, Logitech Wingman FF, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
firebingo

Postby firebingo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:59 am

Um, ill change the texture but once again, this is a recolored version of one of irontowers textures. and i wasn't exactly done either. I'll try to make it better, but truly I'm not exactly good at texturing. I'll keep working on it.

Edit:
see if this is higher to the standards it seems you guys set in German, (which i can't understand.)
I understand that standards have been set by people like irontower and metalbeast, but I'm not going to be as good as them. I can take criticism, but there is a limit to what i can do. This is the first time I've done this type of modeling. I'm doing the best i can to improve them to what everybody will like, I've spent many hours working on this. If you guys don't like the way I'm doing it then you can make models yourself or use the low quality one's in descent. And don't take this as me trying to be mean or something, but I'll never make everybody happy and sometimes you have to be assertive.
System Specs
~~~~~~~~~~
Ben K

Postby Ben K » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:13 am

Where I'm going to use new robots I do make them myself.
firebingo

Postby firebingo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:25 am

Ben I can take critiscism but that didn't sound like constructive criticism. If you don't like the way I'm doing it and you aren't going to say anything positive at all. (which everybody else at least has) why are you even commenting on it.
System Specs
~~~~~~~~~~
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:13 am

Ben,

I really appreciate your skill, intelligence and your comments, but this time I have to agree with firebingo.

I find his and blarget's efforts quite commendable.

firebingo,

don't forget to add gunpoint (muzzle) submodels. A submodel sits anywhere on the main model and consists of one single rectangle the normal of which points to the direction missiles or gun shots should travel too when fired from the object. Check MetalBeast's hires Pyro for how exactly to name them. Muzzle submodels should be inside the model to create the appearance of the missile being launched from a tube (doesn't ofc apply to missile attached to external missile mounts - the gun point should be at the center of the mount and be slightly offset to be in the middle of the missile attached to the mount), gun muzzles at the mound of a gun.

The new ITSC looks really good. I would like to see more detail on it though (via textures) - it looks too uniformly mauve/blue.
Frustikus
D2X-XL Team
D2X-XL Team

Postby Frustikus » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:41 am

firebingo wrote:Um, ill change the texture but once again, this is a recolored version of one of irontowers textures. and i wasn't exactly done either. I'll try to make it better, but truly I'm not exactly good at texturing. I'll keep working on it.
I can take criticism, but there is a limit to what i can do. This is the first time I've done this type of modeling. I'm doing the best i can to improve them to what everybody will like, I've spent many hours working on this. If you guys don't like the way I'm doing it then you can make models yourself or use the low quality one's in descent. And don't take this as me trying to be mean or something, but I'll never make everybody happy and sometimes you have to be assertive.

Hi firebingo,
it seems you feel criticized and somehow attacked by my post. This wasn´t my intention at all. English is not my native language. To put it clearly: I am glad, that you are designing new robots. And even if your textures do not reach the quality, MB or Irontower have already shown, your work brings the project a good big way forward. Maybe one texture artist will join your project and help you with the textures after several new robot models are done. In any case, we hope that you keep working!
My post was meant as a hint: In addition to the metallic look the textures should show more new details like screws, cables, vents, hoses, data ports, displays, ID code and so on. It does not matter, if you can not create such textures. I am sure that others will enter here, if the robot models once are finished. So please keep on going.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:39 am

Firebingo,

I think all you need is support by good texturer. IronTower will be back some time this year and I bet he'll be glad to help.
firebingo

Postby firebingo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:21 pm

Sorry if I took what you said the wrong way. You guys are right though. I will probally need some help with the texturing. If your right diedel and irontower is supposed to come back, that will be a great help for me and blarget. I'll just keep working on the models and get to the texturing when the right time comes.
System Specs
~~~~~~~~~~
blarget#

Postby blarget# » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:00 pm

yeah cuz i cnat texture if my life depended on it (thats why pumo's texturing class 1 2 and light hulk for me)

Return to “D2X-XL Retexturing & Remodeling Projects”