Custom robot models in D2X-XL

Projects around retexturing and remodeling Descent

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

minmay

Custom robot models in D2X-XL

Postby minmay » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Okay, two somewhat related questions. I really did not expect actually modelling the models to be the "easy part."

First of all, what should I name a model to have it replace an original robot model? For example, I want to change the Class 1 Driller model in my mission. I know I should put the model in /d2x-xl/mods/[mission]/models/, but I don't know if I should name it class1driller.ase, driller.ase, or something else. I'm sure this doesn't sound like much, but if there's an easy way to find out I'd like to know it.

Second, what sort of black magic is necessary to get a Blender model into .ase and have it work with the game? Because I tried these scripts and I can't even get the game to recognise my models; it uses the default ones. Furthermore, if I replace a weapon model with my own (laser.ase is the one I tried) it shows up as a small untextured cube.
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Welcome to club.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:09 pm

Welcome to the club? Which I club? :think:

Ah, I know! The club of people who cannot read! :gotit:

;)

There is a menu item "hires models" in the D2X-XL installation guide telling you everything you need to know here.

Make sure to put ASE files plus all the textures they reference in the models subfolder, and remove all folder names from any texture references in the ASE files (i.e. only give the texture file name there w/o any folder preceding it).
minmay

Postby minmay » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:24 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply. I was reading the modding instructions instead of the install instructions.
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:02 am

karx11erx wrote:Welcome to the club? Which I club? :think:

Ah, I know! The club of people who cannot read! :gotit:

;)

There is a menu item "hires models" in the D2X-XL installation guide telling you everything you need to know here.

Make sure to put ASE files plus all the textures they reference in the models subfolder, and remove all folder names from any texture references in the ASE files (i.e. only give the texture file name there w/o any folder preceding it).

Hehh. No. It was mean to the club of people having trouble adding ASE to D2X-XL. As i too have same trouble..:)
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:30 pm

If you want to add a custom ASE model to your levels (my interpretation of the question), Pumo is the one you want to ask. Metalbeast may be able to help as well.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce

Return to “D2X-XL Retexturing & Remodeling Projects”