Which model editor was used for Pumo mines?

All non Descent related stuff. Keep it civilized, this is not an NHB area.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Re: Which model editor was used for Pumo mines?

Postby karx11erx » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:48 am

Schala wrote:Yeah but I do feel like a nuisance around here. I mean I try my best but I often forget/overlook something and it irritates you.

Don't worry. It's alright.
Schala

Postby Schala » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:54 am

By some small chance I visit Germany, perhaps I'll pay you a visit and give you a hug Diedel :)

My dad's side of the family comes from Germany anyway, so who knows...
Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
CPU: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 Ghz
Memory: 6 GB DDR3
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 560 EVGA
Hard Drive: WDC WD10EARS-00MVWB0 1 TB (2 owned)
CD/DVD Drive: DVD RW AD-7260S
LCD Monitor: ASUS VE276 27" Wide screen 1080p (1920x1080 max res.)
Game controller of choice: Logitech USB
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:13 am

Well, gettin' on topic, as I can't stand Polytron32 (its interface and workflow is almost unbearable to me) I use a chain of modelling and converting programs to get the job done.

First of all I make my model (untextured) in D3Edit, save it as ORF, open the ORF model in 3D Object Converter (that can read D3ORF & OOF files :D ), export from there as Caligari Truespace COB, then open the model in Caligari Truespace 3 (it's freeware!), save the COB object again (this step is to ensure compatibility), then I convert the COB to Descent Manager POL format with COB2PM, and then (just at this stage) I finally open Polytron32 and open my POL model to texture it on Polytron.

It's a bit tedious, but at least I can work freely on D3Edit (Even as hard as it is I like its worflow and interface, just the oposite of Polytron) to make cool model shapes that I could never achieve on Polytron. ;)

PS. I had the hunch that Schala was a 'she', as her nickname (Schala) is a very well known female character from Chrono Trigger (one of the greatest RPGs of all times). :)
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:45 am

Why don't you just build ASE models?
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:48 am

Mainly because of the joint support.
Normal D2 models can be animated while ASE can't.
-SYSTEM SPECS-
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:39 am

I would certainly add animation support if some models required it.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:50 pm

Do you really find D3Edit easier to use for modelling than Truespace 3, Pumo? It always seemed more tedious to me.
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:22 pm

karx11erx wrote:I would certainly add animation support if some models required it.

Hmm... Its interesting. Pyro GL for instance - would really be even cooler if its guns would make movement while shooting - just as starWars EST ATAT walkers guns. I wonder if it can be considered enough to pursuade you to make animation possible. Overall - all meshes of D have a joints but i never seen any real animation - just some posing when they hit with lasers. Can posing be considered as animation?

still its interesting of how it can be implemented anyway. In Wow - they got several animations

Idle, Attack, spotted target, Vigilant. And they somehow make interpolations between those animations. I tend to think that its not only an advanced animation control technics but also require for those models and their animation to actually exist.

Who would do it? and if i for instance want to make those - how to make them? I wonder how do you think to implement such feature in the first place.

I made a model of Avenger - but if i want its guns to be animated what should i prepare for animation transfer? A model with several animation keys written in max timeline?

I think that animation in d2x-xl can be achieved even today. but it will require a lot of work.
Several versions of the one same model can be created and then the texture can be applied to them in such fashion that some part of the first frame will be visible - but the same area on the second frame will be invisible - but other part - is visible on the second frame and not in first frame...So each of the meshes represent model for each frame of its animation and then by textures they become visible or invisible depending of the area of the texture applied.

Hope i delivered the idea. but it will be very memory consuming.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:27 pm

Joffa,

you haven't ever finished anything you've started for D2X-XL. Your own Pyro isn't done (as far as I can tell). The Wolf isn't textured. It's ok if you just want to tamper around with this and that and whatever you find momentarily interesting, because it's your life and your hobby. But why should add something to D2X-XL for you when I can already foresee that I am spending my time on something that in the end will not be used?

If however Pumo asks for a feature then I can be sure that he is already 90% done and just needs me to add code to D2X-XL so that he can finish it. It's fun to work with him. It's fun to build something and see others use and benefit from it.
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:15 am

yup. all whats said about me is true. but that was not the question. I was wondering of how you actually was going to implement it. Oh well - i understand that its probably not worth to tell it here as its technical stuff and so on. I have finished the pyro and i just stuck on some things with its transfer to the game engine. i'm trying to figure it out myself. I just thought that i can write to the forum while im doing it
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:51 am

There are many ways to do it. It would probably be best determined based on how it would be used...
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:25 am

Well, to be honest, although the idea is pretty cool, I already made all PM robots and and I don't think I would remake all of them again in ASE if they are already done and fully functional.

So although I support and encourage the idea of animated ASE models, I can't say I would use it in my project by now.

Maybe on Pumo Mines sequel Muchikuche, who knows, I may use it, but if I'm having a hard time to get time to to make PM already, a sequel right now seems not feasible.

So, to follow Diedel words, if the feature won't be really used by now, no point of adding it at least until someone makes something that would use it.
-SYSTEM SPECS-
Alter-Fox

Postby Alter-Fox » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:45 pm

I would love to see more complex animations in D2X-XL (at least like e.g. what you see on the D3 robots), but if no-one is going to use it, I don't think something needless should be added.
We live in a universe... It's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce
-JoFFa-

Postby -JoFFa- » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:59 pm

Imo d2x-xl still have many flaws to be fixed - prior to the addition of the new feature...
Imo.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:41 am

-JoFFa- wrote:Imo d2x-xl still have many flaws to be fixed - prior to the addition of the new feature...
Imo.

You are talking about the extensive of list of exactly zero bugs and flaws you have reported on SF.net?

Oooook, I see.

Before you have a big mouth here again, how about finishing, one, only one of your numerous, high-flying, never ending projects? And how about STFU'ing until then towards a man who has achieved one thing after the other with D2X-XL, with DLE-XP, with numerous finished missions and with the D2X-XL website?

Thank you!

Return to “Off Topic”