Development Blah: Comments

All other topics around Descent and D2X-XL

Moderators: Frustikus, simX, Aus-RED-5

Woodpecker

Re: Development Blah: Comments

Postby Woodpecker » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:13 am

Hawkins wrote:You do it because you love what you do, and set the footing for future generations to evolve it.

Yes.
Hawkins wrote:I visualize someone coming to pick up the pieces you drop from exhaustion and finish them, so that you (and the future generations) may continue.

I visualise someone struggling to pick up the pieces because you do such a damn good job of coding the thing in the first place. There can't be many with the stamina, dedication, and imagination that you have for developing D2X-XL. Even though there are times when you just want to throw the whole thing out of the window in frustration, you always seem to pull through and make it so much better than it would have been if the bug had never been there in the first place.
lloyd

Postby lloyd » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:16 pm

Re your comment "I'm fed up with D2x-XL coding...":

I think it clear that you're also passionate about D2X-XL and take pride and pleasure in your accomplishments.

I think if you take a break from the coding, you'll find the feeling of being "fed up" goes away.

All of the members of this forum are grateful for your efforts. :)
D2X-XL Debian/Ubuntu package repository:
http://standish.home3.org/d2x-xl
blarget#

Postby blarget# » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:29 pm

Now is the time to start fresh and code it from scratch because of how bad they did it in 93? :D (seriously bad joke)
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:36 pm

Well, it has been said previously that using the Unreal 3 engine would be a neat idea, but as for me, I like how XL is now, even if it's based on an old and crappy coded engine. :P
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
Hawkins
Location: /Universe/Milky-way/Sol/Earth/Europe/Greece/Athens/~

Postby Hawkins » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:59 pm

UE3...
:coding: :drool:

Someday Descent is gonna be carried on a brand new engine, perhaps making a whole new game even. It's also worth noting that very few (if not none) FOSS games of today have that level of visual fidelity XL has...*

*(edit) sometimes at great cost of computational resources...
:away:
Gigabyte® GA-X48-DQ6
Intel® Core 2™ Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz
ATi(AMD®) Radeon™ HD4870
pokeman7452

Postby pokeman7452 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:58 am

Hmmm, texture alignment was the last of the (many) reasons I stopped working on TDXL. With that improved, I now have more reasons than ever to finish that level.
Laptop: (outdated)——————————————————————————————Desktop:
ASUS G72GXBBCDDDHLMPPPRTVWcdeefghimnoorruyz2 5 6 8000+-./()Newegged
Core 2 Duo (2.5Ghz)ABBDDGHLMPPPRSSTUVWXcdefgimnry6 78000+-/i5 3570K (4.0-4.7ghz)
6GB DDR2ABCDGHLMPPPSSTUVWXcdeefghimnoorruyz2 5 7 8000+-./()16GB DDR3
Geforce GTX 260MABBCDDDHLPPPRSSUVWdghimnoruyz2 5 7800+-./()GTX650Ti
80GB + 500GB HDDACDLMPPPRSSTUVWXcdeefghimnoorruyz2 267-./()2X500GB in RAID0 + 1TB
DL DVD+-RWABBCGGHMPPPSSTUXcdeefghimnoorruyz2 2 5 678000./()52X CD-R | HD DVD/Blu-Ray, DL DVD+-RW + LS
Win 7 Home Pre/XP ProABBCDDDGGLMRSSTUVcdfghuyz22568000+-.()Win 7 Pro/XP Pro
Enzo03

Postby Enzo03 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:18 pm

At this time, including the original post in the thread, there are 666 posts in the development blah.

One more post and it'll be 666 replies.

I'm gonna have to grab the new DLE. I hate texture alignment, but this will make me hate it a lot less.

That's not saying much. :D
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:20 am

I should note that this doesn't fundamentally change how texture alignment works; it just makes it a lot easier to do in certain situations. The more complex your levels are geometrically, the more frequently you'll run into these situations. I expect it'll be a big time-saver for people like Pumo and Blarget, if either is doing texture work in DLE-XP anyway... :)

However, if texturing induces massive hatred in your veins, I wouldn't count on it as a godsend, unless said induction occurs for this specific reason. Which isn't unthinkable; a lot of level designers just didn't bother aligning the hard stuff. I did, but it required a lot of patience.
blarget#

Postby blarget# » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:18 pm

Yeah, when i make complex 8 sided tubes in my map, i ignore lining up sides. With this feature i might just start using dle xp for texture alignment.
Hawkins

Postby Hawkins » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:17 pm

It's working... Wow... Is this feature going to be generic like sirius pointed out? Or there will always be a square side? I am thinking that if it works with pyramid and wedge, why not work with general collapsing? Good to hear regardless. it is going to be very interesting!
Gigabyte® GA-X48-DQ6
ATi(AMD®) Radeon™ HD4870
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:06 pm

Maybe in a second step. I don't want to add too much complexity at once, when I can easily expand the basic model later on after the general concept has been successfully tested.
karx11erx
D2X-XL Master
D2X-XL Master

Postby karx11erx » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:19 am

Goddammit!

The bloody renderer of DLE-XP can only handle quads! Now I have to understand the dang renderer code in detail to make it work with triangles!

:wallbash:

I think I will :coding: DLE-XP's renderer to use OpenGL. Fortunately I had already added an OpenGL renderer to DLE-XP once years ago, so I can build on what I did then. :sweat:
Pumo
D2X-XL Expert
D2X-XL Expert

Postby Pumo » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:48 am

OK, lemme understand this...

So you're actually saying D2X-XL will now not only rely geometrically on cubes, but also on wedges and pyramid shaped polyhedrons, or that you will add an option to make (and render) actual cubes into both DLE-XP/D2X-XL with what would be usually considered illegal shapes (due to concavity), like fake pyramids/wedges?
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current progress: 60%
-SYSTEM SPECS-
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz (4 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333MHZ
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300, 240GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB 5400RPM
Video: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
Sound: RealTek High Definition Audio
Display 1: LG 24M38H 24" 1080p HD LED Monitor
Display 2: Dell 19" 1440x900 TFT Monitor
Hawkins

Postby Hawkins » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:09 am

karx11erx wrote:I think I will :coding: DLE-XP's renderer to use OpenGL. Fortunately I had already added an OpenGL renderer to DLE-XP once years ago, so I can build on what I did then. :sweat:

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Pumo, I believe it's the former. (EDIT) As in getting rid of overlapping redundant vertices/lines. Elements that can become redundant only with the new collapsing function. (I wonder D, if it's possible to make DLE recognize physically close vertices/lines and fuse them together with the collapsing function... (as a side effect))

REMARK: I believe the stretch texture button must be locked on non-square selected sides, which will also be (the only ones) immune to this function, when applied to a total of marked sides. Also unlike most cube editing, collapsing an element of a side, should not re-stretch the texture, but trim it instead, as the triangular shape will introduce a singularity to the texture, if streatchs as is done now. Not that bad, but not pretty either. Just a few points...
Gigabyte® GA-X48-DQ6
ATi(AMD®) Radeon™ HD4870

Postby Sirius » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:52 am

Pumo - illegal yes, not due to concavity though, but due to zero line lengths.

And yeah, DLE-XP's renderer still seemed to be GDI-based, which I'm pretty sure is exactly why it crawls on huge levels. VASTLY better than DMB2 ever was, but still. OpenGL would be a major boost.

Return to “General Discussions”